Fast Foodies

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by cheesesteak, Mar 22, 2021.

1. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...

Advertisements

I fells asleep during a NCAA March Madness basketball tournament game on Friday night and woke up to this cooking show which had just begun. I was initially going to blow it off and change the channel but I stuck with it and enjoyed it a lot. It stars three chefs and a B- or C- list guest celebrity taster and judge. The show is divided into two parts. In the first part, the premise is that the chefs have to duplicate exactly the guest's favorite fast food restaurant dish like the McDonald's sausage and egg McMuffin and the In 'n Out burger. In the second half, the chefs unleash their vast culinary skills and create elaborate dishes that contain the "essence" of the fast food dish even though it usually can have absolutely resemblance to or even the ingredients of the original dish.

The show has only been on for six episodes which apparently are available on the show web page: Fast Foodies

2. Donbadabon

Donbadabon Bored TCF Club

Mar 5, 2002
    Nashville, TN
    Just checked out the first episode.
    I love the concept of the show, have always loved copycat recipes, and then for them to take it to the next level is really cool.
    My only issue is the silliness, for me there was a lot of silliness in the episode. Other than that I am liking it.

3. lambertman

lambertman With an "L"

Dec 20, 2002
    Indianapolis...
    This may have been the least-silly episode so far, if that’s an issue.

Enjoying seeing the foul-mouthed version of Kristen Kish. :D

kaszeta likes this.
  4. justen_m

justen_m Cheesehead TCF Club

Jan 14, 2004
    Boise, ID
    I saw an ad for this, so have been recording it. Haven't watched any yet. It initially and repeatedly airs on truTV, in SD (I only get SD truTV). Some of the episodes also air on TBS and/or TNT, HD. The ones I recorded so far on TBS/TNT are all just partials, because they've followed NCAA BB, which overrun into the scheduled timeslots, except for E3, "GaTa". So I have to re-record those.

I've liked Kristen Kish since I first saw her on Top Chef, and subsequently as a judge on various cooking competition shows. She's always funny, and the food she made on Top Chef looked awesome.

I like fast food and ate a fair amount pre-COVID and look forward to watching this. I'm too lazy to watch online when I can record episodes when they air or re-air.

5. skypros

skypros Ex satellite dealer

May 18, 2015
    Bend, Oregon

Advertisements

I have it One Pass set for the show..... I mindlessly watch it, It is ok.... If they cancel it, I would not Care, If they re-new it I will still record.... and I will mindlessly watch it.
    *Side note.... I mindless watch allot of shows* I think as I get older.... I quit paying attention :D

6. justen_m

justen_m Cheesehead TCF Club

Jan 14, 2004
    Boise, ID
    I've watched two episodes so far. Andy Richter ENCAA First Look, McDonalds Filet-o-Fish, and GaTa E3, Dominos Hawaiian pizza, and . I find it entertaining. Not must-see. I'll save it for when I just want something quick to watch. Maybe stream it to my phone when I'm out and waiting for something, and especially good option as I'm recording on an SD channel, and 30min@480i is pretty small, and looks better on my tiny phone screen that my relatively huger TV.

I've got E1,4-6 on my TiVo, 7-8 scheduled, and waiting for the re-air of E2 on Monday, as I missed the first airing.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2021
  7. Donbadabon

Mar 5, 2002
    Nashville, TN
    One thing I really like is that they all get to taste, and comment on, each others dishes. I don't see that in the normal food competition shows I watch.

8. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    I've watched all of the episodes so far. I'm beginning to wish this show was on another, more serious channel. TruTv accentuates the silly segments to an annoying degree. They should be able to have fun but not turn it into a clown show. I also believe that there should be some restraints on the remix dishes. One of the chefs remixed a McDonald's Filet O' Fish sandwich into a dish with filet mignon. That's too big of a stretch.

Donbadabon likes this.
  9. sharkster

sharkster Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jul 3, 2004
    NV
    When I happened to see an ad for this show I was hooked. Plus, I've had a girl crush on Kristen since Top Chef. It's a fun show.

I think the other thing that drew me in was that there was an episode with Ron Funches and I just adore him. He also does a fun little comedy show that I hope comes back. Just found it - Top Secret Videos. It also stars Brian Posehn and a female comedian, with whom I was unfamiliar, who is also hilarious.

Donbadabon likes this.
  10. Donbadabon

Mar 5, 2002
    Nashville, TN
    I hope this comes back for another season. I loved it.

sharkster likes this.
  11. Grasshopper AZ

Grasshopper AZ Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2005
    Glendale, AZ
    I said this same exact thing to my wife last night while we were watching. It was the Wendy's spicy chicken sandwich and 2 of them used fish for the remix. I think the remix should have to be the exact same ingredients just in a different form.

12. efilippi

efilippi Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jul 24, 2001
    Mundelein, Il
    Probably a repeat but I just watched the ep with Charlotte McKinnon (sp?) and the Carl's Jr. All Natural Burger, or something like that. I do of course remember the ad as well as most others from that fast food place (the two girls at the grill with burger meets BBQ or something just drove me nuts!) but I just assumed the visuals were faked so that the food looked something like all ads do, nothing like what one gets at the actual venue. We don't have Carls around here so I figured their burgers look like what I would get at McD or Wendy's, et al. But this episode, in the first 'try to duplicate exactly' segment, had the three making burgers that looked better than any burger I have ever bought at any restaurant ever. Did/does (I think they mentioned that this particular item is no longer sold at Carls) the burger actual look anything like that if one bought it at the fast food place? How much did it cost?

Also a bit odd that the whole beginning of the episode featured steak and shake. I love S&S, those really thin fries, honest burger, good shakes, clean happy places. Maybe she is a Hoosier?

13. Grasshopper AZ

Grasshopper AZ Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2005
    Glendale, AZ
    Carls Jr and Hardee's are owned by the same company so most of the menu items are the same I think. To me, Carl's Jr/Hardee's have a better premium burger than McDonald's or Burger King. Wendy's has some decent premium burgers as well. As I recall the all natural burger was around $7. Comparing a standard burger at any one place to the premium burger at another place isn't apples to apples. My favorite fast food burgers though come from Whataburger.

14. Worf

Worf Well-Known Member

Sep 15, 2000
    Carl's Jr. and Hardees are one of those east-meets-west branding things - each chain was dominant in its half of the US, then they merged but kept both names because their names are recognizable in their respective areas. I think there are a few more restaurants that did the same thing - they're exactly the same but have two different names.

There's several of those things - in many products. Mayo, for example - you may know Best Foods or Hellmanns, depending on if you're from the east or west coast. They're exactly the same mayo in the end, but which one you get depends on which one was dominant. Same goes for cookies. Even Girl Scout cookies have regional branding - what one calls a particular cookie depends on where one is located.