Fargo S02E03: Myth of Sisyphus

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by mooseAndSquirrel, Oct 28, 2015.

1. mooseAndSquirrel

mooseAndSquirrel Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2001
    Whatsamatta U

Advertisements

I wonder why this episode has this title?

A little bit of a Dr. Evil end to Skip, which is about the first disappointing writing in this show.

More great music.

Love Mike Milligan and the Kitchen Brothers. But here again, how could the cop not now get some backup and arrest these guys? I suppose it's his word against their's. Same tension at the Gerhard's ("am I the only one that understands the concept of law enforcement?), but I guess they didn't break any laws.

I loved how blase he was to his father-in-law ("so I had kind of a high noon day").

Loved the little side humor on the shampoo choices and soft water.

Cracking the back of the car up was a fun touch, and that will clearly come back into play. And of course the other hairdresser knows it was damaged earlier, and she'll definitely use that leverage to get her some Kirsten.

2. MikeAndrews

MikeAndrews Registered abuser

Jan 17, 2002
    Northern...
    I always wonder why a guy about to be killed doesn't just run out of the hole. What's the worse that could happen?

I would think that being buried in hot asphalt hurts a lot.

Being that I just saw this on "Ask This Old House," that patch is going to keep sinking.

3. HoosierFan

HoosierFan Board game geek

May 8, 2001
    North...
    I have the feeling they're going to go away on this seminar and maybe she won't return.

4. getreal

getreal postcrastinator

Sep 29, 2003
    Earth
    The last scene with the tip of Skip's tie sticking out of the asphalt was odd ... in what conceivable manner would that have occurred, given the position he was in when Skip was buried? At first I thought it was his hand wearing a mitten, but it was his tie. That's why the girl mentioned it and pulled him by the tie (like a leash) when they left her apartment with "Red Man". We can assume that his body will be discovered because of this clue, but it just stood out ... literally!

5. MikeAndrews

MikeAndrews Registered abuser

Jan 17, 2002
    Northern...

Advertisements

I didn't recognize that was his tie.

What other clues does need, now that he knows, or should know, that Skip leads to the judge and the Kansas guys are also trailing him?

It looks in the previews like
    Red Man finds the Corvair in the shop and matches it up to the Waffle House debris, so that ties in the goof couple, even if hairdresser lady doesn't add it up.

Course, we know that Rye's belt buckle is in the fireplace. Watch his other shoe turn up.
    I can see it going where Jack has to answer for Rye, while bubblehead tries to think her way out of it.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2015
  6. MacThor

MacThor Not Pictured

Feb 7, 2002
    Richmond VA
    On the IMDB page there is a character (I think it's one of the Gerheart henchmen) named "Roost Bolton." :)

7. getreal

getreal postcrastinator

Sep 29, 2003
    Earth
    Skip's "patriotic tie":

[​IMG]

8. Bob Coxner

Bob Coxner Active Member

Dec 1, 2004
    He's a Minnesota cop but all of this action took place in North Dakota. He's out of his jurisdiction. That's why he had to have the North Dakota detective with him when they went to the Gerhardts.

9. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    That was my thought. As soon as someone told me to get in the hole, I'm running as fast as I can outta there. I mean, I'm gonna die either way, at least I'd have a runner's chance if I ran. Maybe the shock of me running would give me a couple of seconds. But on TV and the movies they always get in the hole.

I'm thinking the same thing. I think that's why she agreed to go to the seminar. She knows that her boss has seen the hole in the window and that she has a thing for her. She's gonna off her somewhere near the seminar, where nobody could find her.

10. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    This show is STILL friggin' awesome. Best show on TV right now. I watch and next thing I know 45 minutes have flown by.

11. cmontyburns

cmontyburns Excellent.

Nov 14, 2001
    Houston, TX
    I've been an ep or two behind. Having just watched this one and read the thread, I thought I would at least address this.

As you probably know, Sisyphus was said to be consigned in Hell to rolling a large boulder up a steep hill. When he reached the top, the boulder would just roll back down, and he'd have to go roll it back up again -- for all eternity. The task literally had no end.

My thought is that the search for Rye is the boulder, and basically everyone is Sisyphus. In this episode, Lou, Skip, Mike, The Kitchen Brothers, the rest of the KC mob, and the Gerhardts are all looking for Rye, since each of them regards Rye as the key to solving the problems in front of them. Except as we know, they will never find Rye, because he's dead and quite literally gone. Like Sisyphus rolling his boulder, the search can have no end.

12. john4200

john4200 Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2009
    I think the reference was more to the book by Albert Camus than to the generic myth itself.

13. cmontyburns

cmontyburns Excellent.

Nov 14, 2001
    Houston, TX
    Have to admit, with some :eek:, that I had forgotten the Camus book. Fortunately, it's all pretty much the same thing. :)