fans

Discussion in 'TiVo Series 1 - UK' started by ashagplz, Sep 29, 2004.

1. ashagplz

ashagplz New Member

Sep 26, 2004
    are these fans 5v or 12v? i was thinking of sticking a papst in here......

:confused:

2. Dunkwho

Dunkwho New Member

Apr 17, 2002
    and what sort of cfm does the standard one push? since changing the drives i can hear the fan clonking round now :( just for a bit of noise optimisation ... what sort of thigh emps have been seen working fine? since putting my 7200 segate in my unit is reading 38 degrees ... in september (so probably not much room to drop the cfm).

Duncan

3. blindlemon

blindlemon tivoheaven.co.uk

May 12, 2002
    Malmesbury, UK
    The stock fan is a Panaflo FBA08A12L and is rated at 12v, but the TiVo fan control limits it to 5 or 7 (can't remember) to keep the rpm and noise down.

I have a PAPST 8412N in my main TiVo and it's certainly quieter than the Panaflo :)

4. mjn

mjn New Member

Feb 5, 2003
    Herts, England
    so whats the best fan to use? as mine has just died!

5. blindlemon

May 12, 2002
    Malmesbury, UK
    I can recommend the PAPST 8412N :)

6. Koolvin

Koolvin New Member

Nov 5, 2004
    London
    the Papst is 12Db and the original Panaflo is 24Db. This makes the Papst 50% quieter.

The air throughput suffers tho as the Papst only shifts 19.5CFM where as the Panaflo will move 24CFM (4.5CFM difference)

7. mike0151

mike0151 A Friend of Dot

Dec 13, 2001
    Liverpool,...
    Sorry :)D) to be pedantic but an increment of 3db represents a doubling, so a 24db fan must be 4x the noise of a 12db fan.

Mike

8. Koolvin

Koolvin New Member

Nov 5, 2004
    London

Yes you are right! I was not even thinking straight

9. PaulOckenden

PaulOckenden New Member

Jan 26, 2004
    Brighton, UK
    Just bought one of those from Overclockers, but the TiVo won't turn it. I guess because of the reduced voltage.

It'll keep it running if I spin it up by hand, but the voltage isn't enough to start the fan spinning.

Ho hum... glad it wasn't that expensive!

P.

10. Andy Davies

Andy Davies New Member

Mar 4, 2004
  11. benallenuk

benallenuk New Member

Aug 1, 2005
    Southampton
    So guys, which fans work and which dont. Its seems that the Papst 8412N fan doesnt run from the header on the tivo board. Ive got the tivo in my bedroom now and I can hear the fan and hardisks seeking, the fan is louder though.

Any thought?

12. blindlemon

May 12, 2002
    Malmesbury, UK
    My PAPST 8412N runs fine from the board.

I put it in over 2 years ago though, so maybe it was an older version that required a lower startup voltage...

13. Ziggy Stardust

Ziggy Stardust New Member

Jan 11, 2006
    Hi

I'm a newbie, but have been lurking since buying my Tivo a month ago. The fan has recently become rather noisy (it starts up quietly but after 30 seconds it vibrates with an annoying resonance) and I'd like to replace it.

The Papst 8412N is no longer available, and the link to the Noiseblocker is dead.

Can anyone recommend a fan that will work ok without any of the start up voltage problems previously discussed.

Many thanks

14. Andy Davies

Andy Davies New Member

Mar 4, 2004
    A quick google shows that tekheads.co.uk sell the Noiseblocker fans.

Andy

15. Heuer

Heuer New Member

Mar 15, 2004
    Nottinghamshire
    I bought a standard 12v PC fan and ran it from the spare HD connector at 12v. Fan noise was far too high so I used a fan control module to turn down the speed. Drilled a small hole in the rear TiVo case and glued the unit to it allowing me to adjust the fan speed for the best balance of noise and cooling. Works great - both items came from Maplin.

I should point out I had to do this as the TiVo 7v supply from the motherboard failed but it is a way around the noisy fan/poor start problem.

16. Ziggy Stardust

Ziggy Stardust New Member

Jan 11, 2006
    Thanks Andy

Just ordered a Noiseblocker from tekheads.

:)

17. aerialplug

aerialplug Serious TiVo User

Oct 20, 2000
    Swansea
    Before you buy a new one, I recommend opening the case and blowing the dust out and giving the fan itself a light dusting with a brush.
    See here for a recent discussion on the subject.

18. beastman

beastman New Member

May 25, 2002
    Ziggy how did yopu get on with your noiseblocker fan?
    Does it start up ok on its own?