Family Guy "Back to the Pilot" OAD 11/13/2011

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by DevdogAZ, Nov 17, 2011.

1. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    Just watched this episode last night. Enjoyed seeing the contrast between the animation styles and characters from the pilot until now. And the time travel stuff was pretty funny.

However, after the second time Brian and Stewie came back from Jan 31, 1999, why did they have Lois say that Brian had written the Harry Potter series? That would only make sense if the series had been entirely written after that date, but the first book was released in 1997, so that joke makes no sense. :confused:

2. trainman

trainman Nice to see you

Jan 29, 2001
    Sherman...
    Unlike everything else about the episode, which made perfect sense? :D

I think my favorite part was seeing what everyone did during the cutaways (just sitting there in the past, smoking/text messaging in the present).

3. midas

midas I heard that

Jun 1, 2000
    Montgomery,...
    My favorite part was probably only about 2 seconds, but I loved when the mass pairs started showing up and one of the pairs was both Brian and Stewie in the banana suit.

4. JYoung

JYoung Series 3

Jan 16, 2002
    Los Angeles
    The other fun thing was when they went back to 1999, the picture changed to 4:3

5. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    I thought this episode was mostly hilarious. (While the joke about what they do during cutaways was somewhat funny, it was too much 'breaking the 4th wall'.. even for Family Guy)

Even though I didn't save the episode (back on original tiny Tivo drive, should possibly have downloaded it to computer), I think it's one of the best time travel shows/movies I've seen.

6. rifleman69

rifleman69 Member

Jan 6, 2005
    Oregon
    The one thing that bothered me about the episode was after the 10000's of Brian and Stewie's showed up and they took the vote...they came out with an odd number with the explanation that one of the Brian's transported with it's throat slashed (or something similar).

Did the writers forget about the one Peter that got transported while looking for the can...and the fact that he was clearly seen to have voted? That would still make an even amount of voters.

7. Turtleboy

Turtleboy Well-Known Member TCF Club

Mar 24, 2001
    Ft. Lauderdale
    I know I shouldn't be shocked when they "goes there" but I was with the Pat Tillman joke.

8. getbak

getbak Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2004
    Calgary, AB
    I believe Peter voted for both options, so he cancelled out his own vote.

9. That Don Guy

That Don Guy Now with more GB

Mar 13, 2003
    Benicia, CA
    Didn't they use the original backgrounds (which were 4:3) for the 1999 scenes?

Also, Lacey Chabert finally got credited (even if it was in the "Also Starring" list) for voicing Meg. (Actually, it's the second time, but the first one was in the special they made for the 100th episode.) Nobody seems to know (or those who do know aren't talking) why she wasn't credited in the first place.

There was one joke they missed: neither Brian nor Stewie pointed out that nobody was any younger in 1999 than they were in 2011 (much less that both of them are younger than 12 years old, although they did sort of gloss over this in the episode where they reveal Brian fathered a child).

10. Bob_Newhart

Bob_Newhart My Custom User Title

Jul 14, 2004
    Houston
    So, do the grownups understand the baby, or not?

11. That Don Guy

That Don Guy Now with more GB

Mar 13, 2003
    Benicia, CA
    Even if they can't, Brian could always be Stewie's translator (kind of like how Angelica can understand both the adults and the babies on Rugrats).

12. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Never knew why Stephen Root wasn't credited for most of "King of the Hill" either.

13. ElJay

ElJay Active Member

Apr 6, 2005
    Parts of this had me in tears. I'd love to see more of the barber's pole universe... LOL!

14. rifleman69

rifleman69 Member

Jan 6, 2005
    Oregon
    I'll have to watch again but am sure he only voted for the 2nd option.

15. morac

morac Cat God TCF Club

Mar 14, 2003
    NJ
    I thought so too.

16. getbak

getbak Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2004
    Calgary, AB
    No, just double-checked, he votes for both options. He votes immediately for preventing 9/11, then puts his hand up slowly for not preventing it.