Falling Skies

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Fl_Gulfer, Apr 20, 2011.

1. Fl_Gulfer

Fl_Gulfer Tivo's R Us

May 27, 2005
    Fl.Gulf
  2. Waldorf

Waldorf Super Duper Member

Oct 4, 2002
    Phoenix, AZ
    Looks like a good cast and Spielberg is behind it. Also, the initial writer is Robert Rodat (Saving Private Ryan) so the script should be good. I'm in. :)

The aliens remind me of the Skedars from Perfect Dark (old Nintendo 64 game)

3. dcheesi

dcheesi ...I'm not.

Apr 6, 2001
    MD, USA
    What is it with massive-alien-invasion stories lately? First Skyline, then Battle: L.A., and now this. Not that I'm complaining, mind you, but does make me wonder what started the whole trend?

It kind of reminds of when the movie studios seemed to be releasing competing disaster flicks every summer (Volcano vs. Dante's Peak, Deep Impact vs. Armageddon, etc.).

4. Waldorf

Oct 4, 2002
    Phoenix, AZ
    Mission to Mars vs Red Planet... Iron Eagle vs Top Gun... even a Three-for-one special with Leviathan vs Deep Star Six vs The Abyss.

But yeah... Cowboys and Aliens has been kicking around since 1997 when Disney and Fox were in a bidding war over it...

I think once something like Skyline gets picked up, others in the business see it and follow. "They decided to fund that massive-alien-invasion project! What do we have in the pipeline?"

5. Alfer

Alfer New Member

Aug 7, 2003
    Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaawn.

6. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    I'm definitely going to watch the tv show but I got 1:45 into that clip and bailed.

7. sieglinde

sieglinde Active Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Sebastopol, CA
    I wonder why the aliens in these things wear no cloths or gear. I wonder if they are drones of a hive type species.

8. RGM1138

RGM1138 I wanna Rock

Oct 6, 1999
    Gulfport, MS
    Reminds me of V, but with ugly aliens. I'll check it out.

I'm always amazed how creatures with claws and without opposable thumbs build such high tech machinery. :)

9. ADG

ADG Allan

Aug 19, 2003
    New Jersey, USA
    Man, I hope the show is better than the trailer.

10. Bierboy

Bierboy Seasoned gas passer

Jun 12, 2004
    Fishers, IN
    Usually they're worse....:rolleyes:

11. mrdazzo7

mrdazzo7 Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2006
    Not sure about this one. Obviously the people involved are solid but in all seriousness, how many "aliens take over earth and then humans band together to survive" can be done? Maybe I have genre fatigue. I get that this is different because it's not about preventing an invasion or witnessing one, it's about what happens after, but still. The trailer kind of reminded me of a cross between V, Terminator Salvation, War of the Worlds, The Walking Dead, and Jericho, plus about a dozen other things.

An outside thread dominates the planet forcing survivors to live off the grid with extremely limited resources while they try to rebuild society. People with shady pasts become heroes, at some point the survivors encounter a group of violent humans and say "we should fight them not each other", hope never dies, we suffer some losses but in the end, we prevail.

I'm not trying to be cynical, I just feel like that's how it's gonna be. I thought the same thing about The Walking Dead originally and ended up liking it so hopefully I'm wrong.

12. Waldorf

Oct 4, 2002
    Phoenix, AZ
    Season pass set! :D

13. Bierboy

Bierboy Seasoned gas passer

Jun 12, 2004
    Fishers, IN
    IMPOSSIBLE!! (until the program shows up in your guide...) :D

Now, if you mean Wishlist, then you are correct....

14. sieglinde

sieglinde Active Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Sebastopol, CA
    LOL!!! In some SF, we only see the warrior aliens, who are hamhanded with claws. Behind the scenes are the folks who built the technology.

15. pierpont

pierpont TiVo-ing since 1999

Jul 9, 2006
    USA
    The series premiere is tomorrow, Jun 19, at 9 PM on TNT.

16. sieglinde

sieglinde Active Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Sebastopol, CA
    Weird Hour and 56 min length.

17. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    I wonder if they cut the opening credits and "previously on" stuff from the second hour? And then decided to bill it as "limited commercial interruptions" with the four minutes they saved? :D

18. sieglinde

sieglinde Active Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Sebastopol, CA
    Nope. The thing had plenty of commercials and ended with previews.

19. That Don Guy

That Don Guy Now with more GB

Mar 13, 2003
    Benicia, CA
    Was it set that way in the guide, or did it just last 1:56 out of the two hour block?

If the latter, there may be a reason for that; the NASCAR race earlier on Sunday ran about four minutes over.

20. DeDondeEs

DeDondeEs Well-Known Member TCF Club

Feb 20, 2004
    Las Vegas, NV
    Yeah not to mention the usual TNT "You are watching Falling Skies on TNT" or "Coming up on Falling Skies" or "Go to the Falling Skies website on TNT, and enlist yourself in the resistance" Just play the show!