Falling Skies Season 5 (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by JohnB1000, Jun 29, 2015.

1. JohnB1000

JohnB1000 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2004

Advertisements

Glad the show is back, though for some reason I thought it was done. I enjoy the show, and enjoyed season 4, though my memory of the ending is sketchy (as I mentioned elsewhere, being an easy going TV watcher makes me easy to please, that and other things :))

I haven't watched the first episode yet, I did not even realize it was back until I saw a review on Den of Geek. Wanted to make this post so others did not miss it. Probably will wait until the season is done then go for the binge.

2. dwatt

dwatt Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2007
    This is the final season if I remember correctly.

3. classicX

classicX Don't scream.

May 10, 2006
    Miles away...
    This show deserves specific episode threads.

4. JohnB1000

JohnB1000 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2004
    Deserves ? I think that just naturally happens if there is enough interest. 5 or 6 threads over the last two seasons suggests not.

5. Cainebj

Cainebj Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2006
    New York

Advertisements

I reset a season pass because it is the final season after I bailed last summer (or maybe it was even the year before that...)

Personally, I'd find it far more interesting if it all turned out to be a dream and the alien war was just a metaphor for fighting breast cancer.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2015
  6. Jul 1, 2015 #6 of 78
    mrdbdigital

mrdbdigital The TBS Archives TCF Club

Feb 2, 2004
    Moultrie, GA
    Were the other 4 seasons shot with the "shaky camera" handheld technique? That really drives me nuts at times.

7. Jul 1, 2015 #7 of 78
    squint

squint New Member

Jun 15, 2008
    I'm pretty sure they weren't because I noticed the difference immediately.

8. Jul 2, 2015 #8 of 78
    MikeCC

MikeCC TiVotee

Jun 19, 2004
    Oh god, yes! I hate that technique. Used very sparingly, the viewers might feel as if we are looking through the eyes of a participant right there.

But often, the result is obnoxious, and makes the viewer feel nauseated and practically seasick. Too much "shaky-cam", and the technique tries to mimic the handheld camera of the oh-so-earnest and pompously self-important documentaries beginning in the 1970s.

9. Jul 2, 2015 #9 of 78
    aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    I never noticed anything. Now I'll need to take another look at it. Usually I will notice if there is a shaky camera.

10. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    Just watched the season premiere. Things were way too easy for the 2nd Mass. I've got to assume they're being set up.

11. n548gxg

n548gxg Member

Mar 7, 2003
    East Coast
    Or they are trying to wrap things up in 10 episodes.

12. DevdogAZ

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    That's my point. If they want to stretch this for 9 more episodes, they can't have the Espheni be so easily defeated.

It was cool that they removed the guns from the Mechs and were able to use them in the gym shoot out, but I couldn't help wondering where the ammo was being stored and how long they could keep firing without running out.

13. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    So much for having it easy... ;)

14. RGM1138

RGM1138 I wanna Rock

Oct 6, 1999
    Gulfport, MS
    Yeah, I think they were a bit over the top on the Skitter invasion. It was like watching a scene from The Alamo. I don't think they could have killed their way out of that situation.

Tip of the week: Don't eat barbecued Skitter. :eek:

15. classicX

classicX Don't scream.

May 10, 2006
    Miles away...
    It looked to me like they were collecting and repacking shells as a way to explain how they have so much ammo. It doesn't explain where they get the rest of the materials, but I guess it's not really important.

I wonder how they are gonna get skitter boy to start fighting with them...

16. DevdogAZ

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    So the Espheni apparently figured out how to grow fully-mature biological creatures out of vats of liquid, and without using any of the liquid. Where does the mass for the biological creatures come from?

Have we seen that "Espheni Fog" stuff before? They were talking about it like it was familiar, but I don't remember it.

Pope is definitely going to cause problems now for Mason and the 2nd Mass.

17. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    I may or may not have seen this past Sunday's episode, but I have to say, I'm so far enjoying this season more than I have the last couple. It feels much more like the first season than the last couple has where they are focused much more on survival than on stupid plot devices such as the daughter going to the dark side. We've seen the obvious attacks by the skitters, but also having their food supply cut and having to find ways to survive. I like this much better.

18. classicX

classicX Don't scream.

May 10, 2006
    Miles away...
    I'm not sure that the liquid wasn't being replenished somehow. I figured they were being grown from "eggs" or something else, and nourished in the liquid at an accelerated rate.

The mist was seen in previous seasons, and there was some kind of creature that could move through it. I don't know what the butterfly-things were that ate her legs up, but as I recall they were new.

What bothers be most is the notion that the skitters have absolutely NO intelligence unless there is an overlord around. We haven't seen that to be true in the past.

19. n548gxg

n548gxg Member

Mar 7, 2003
    East Coast
    I am so glad this is the last season. This whole Pope's revenge storyline is stupid. I signed on to an alien invasion series not this nonsense.

They only have 10 episodes this season, you would think that would have spent the time on defeating the aliens not creating annoying subplots.

20. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Pope has always bothered me. The show seems to have forgotten that when he was introduced, he was a brutal psychopath who murdered people for fun and kidnapped women to use as sex slaves. Then, he magically transformed into a likable rogue, and since has veered back and forth. So at this point nothing he does surprises me, because he has never had a consistent-enough character to have reasonable expectations as to what is "in character."

But there's been a lot of perfunctory stuff this season, things that happen purely for the sake of setting something up without any real effort made to make it fit in with the story. E.g., Sarah getting stuck in the goo just as they were leaving for the attack was awfully convenient, and Cochise's father's abrupt (and off-screen) change of heart and sudden death seemed forced. And yeah, coincidences are part of the Hollywood toolbox, but they seem to be coming fast and furious lately...