Falling Skies "Grace" 7/3/11

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by tlc, Jul 5, 2011.

1. Jul 5, 2011 #1 of 24
    tlc

tlc Active Member

May 29, 2002
    Alien Space Bats!

FYI, Alien Space Bats is a phrase used in SF forums when something impossible happens and is never explained, usually as the premise of the story. Like when a island/city/aircraft carrier/military unit is suddenly, inexplicably transported through time or inter-dimensionally. The story is about their survival and when the big event is never explained, fans say "Alien Space Bats did it".

ASBs have made it into the literature as well. In one of Stirling's "Sea of Time" or "Dies the Fire" series, an SF-aware character referred to ASBs when talking about their situation. Then Ken MacLeod's "Learning The World" had ASBs as characters.

The writers were probably having fun making the invaders ASBs here.

2. Jul 5, 2011 #2 of 24
    danterner

danterner Not it!

Mar 4, 2005
    Greenacres, FL
    That's a new term for me - thanks!

A couple of parts of this episode didn't sit well with me:

1. "static on the radio" = "Alien" was abundantly evident to us the viewer, but no way should it have been reasoned out so quickly by the characters. That was quite a deductive leap Moon Bloodgood made, there.

2. So did that dad kill his kid, by pulling the harness off of him? Kind of frustrating as a viewer to have that happen, considering the alien was actually communicating in English via it.

On the whole, though, I'm still finding this to be an entertaining show.

3. Jul 5, 2011 #3 of 24
    dthmj

dthmj Hinky TCF Club

Mar 12, 2002
    Texas
    Apparently not - we watched the previews and it showed the kid alive. Both me and my daughter said "I thought he died!" when they showed him.

4. Jul 5, 2011 #4 of 24
    justen_m

justen_m Cheesehead

Jan 14, 2004
    Boise, ID
    Totally agree on point 1). The editing made it obvious to us (the viewers) what was happening, pretty much instantly. If they would have drawn out the reveal, it might have made Moon Bloodgood's discovery a bit less miraculous.

Jeez, sounds like I am not the only one who has no idea of the character's names. I have no idea of the name of Noah Wylie's character. Nor Moon Bloodgood's. Nor Sarah Carter's.
    Everybody else I just know by their relations to the folks above. Or captain *******. or colonel of the Mass whatever regiment. or hot Mexican chic that prays.

5. Jul 5, 2011 #5 of 24
    Anubys

Anubys All About Footwork

Jul 16, 2004
    Fairfax...
    that's the second time that father has done something totally not in character based on what we saw of him in the pilot. The first time, I could understand. He saw his kid and went nuts. The second time made no sense.

Why does the crazy irrational guy have to be the black one? I was very put-off by that...

6. Jul 5, 2011 #6 of 24
    danterner

danterner Not it!

Mar 4, 2005
    Greenacres, FL
    I always get the two confused, but I think I actually meant to say she made an inductive leap, not a deductive one...

7. Jul 5, 2011 #7 of 24
    Gromit

Gromit Well-Known Member

Nov 4, 1999
    Atlanta, GA
    He's frustrating the heck out of me to the point that I'm almost done with the series. How many stupid things are they going to let him do before they just put him with the rest of the civilians? Mister "I cannot think rationally when my kid is involved" gets an M-16 and access to the lizard-spider in the cage?

My other favorite scene from this week's episode was where the kids who are obviously wearing the control thingies approached them with automatic weapons. Gee, I wonder what these kids want with us? Let's stand here and talk until they do som... OMG! THEY ARE SHOOTING AT US!! THEY SHOT ASIAN GUY!

8. Jul 5, 2011 #8 of 24
    stellie93

stellie93 Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2006
    It's pretty clever of them to send out the harnessed kids. If that happens everywhere all the time, will everyone just start shooting at them? What else could you do? They don't seem to be able to remember very complicated commands though, like "kill all earthlings" not just anything that makes a noise or moves.

Is the black guy supposed to be career military, or just someone they handed a gun to? I can't imagine a real soldier being that undisciplined. Noah Wiley is REALLY nice to not blame him for messing up the first mission when they were after Ben. (the kid I've hardly seen and I remember his name.)

I really am starting to like this show. Must be just me since the thread is so short. :(

9. Jul 5, 2011 #9 of 24
    Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    By the way, people were saying earlier that this is a miniseries, but according to Wikipedia it's not...this is a ten-episode first season.

10. phox_mulder

phox_mulder I get paid 2watch TV

Feb 23, 2006
    Salt Lake...
    Only if it gets renewed, otherwise it's a mini series.

Less than 13 episodes, so it can't be a "first season".

Yes, I pulled that number out of my backside.

phox

11. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    I'm still enjoying the show. Certainly has some flaws, but they're easy enough to overlook. I know Noah Wyle's character is named Tom Mason and his kids are Hal, Ben and Matt. But I think those are the only character names I know. Everyone else is Moon, Will Patton, Dr. Steven Weber, etc.

Why did evil cook guy blowing up the Alien Space Bats result in the rest of them getting ambushed at the motorcycle shop? Seemed to me that when they saw the smoke from the explosion, it was quite a long ways away. So how did the Skitters know to send the kids to the bike shop? And why were Tom and his crew so stupid not to high tail it out of there as soon as they heard the explosion?

12. Barmat

Barmat Member

Jun 1, 2001
    Livermore CA
    So far for me this show is good, not great. I think it needs a bit more character developement. I too have no idea what any ones name is. I guess it just doen't bother me that much. I hate the comic sci fi shows on the syphilis network so this fits my likes better.

13. EvilMidniteBombr

EvilMidniteBombr what bomz at midnite

May 25, 2006
    Parts...
    Sending Pope out to scavenge bikes was not the smartest idea. Leaving him with one person to watch him was even worse. Anyone want to bet that the bread he made will turn out to be something that somehow disables all who ate it?

14. Malcontent

Malcontent Ancient Astronaut Theorist

Sep 4, 2004
    All through the episode I kept asking why are there not any armed guards in that room watching the alien 24x7? I'm not counting the crazy dad who came and went on occasion. Even locked up, it needed to be watched.

15. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    Pope is the least convincing tough, bad guy I've seen on tv in a while. They were idiots to trust him further than they could throw him. Even I knew he was somehow going to cross them and take a motor bike.

16. fmowry

fmowry Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2002
    Baltimore, MD
    The zombie kids also got their quite fast for as slow as they appear to move all of the time.

I'm with you. I still like the show I just have to shake my head at some of the stuff.

That cage the skitter was in has the largest food access door I have ever seen! Haven't the writers seen Jail or Locked Up Abroad before?

17. Anubys

Anubys All About Footwork

Jul 16, 2004
    Fairfax...
    Zombies and Friday the 13th type killers always catch up with people running at full speed!

The slower you walk, the quicker you can close the gap on people. Everyone knows that!

18. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    I still like this show. At least it's not overly campy like most alien shows. I like that they are trying to communicate with the captured alien. It felt very ET like (or maybe Close Encounters...not quite sure yet). But how dumb was it that they let Pope go to help them capture motorcycles? Any idiot could have figure out that as soon as they got there, he'd take off faster than they could stop him. They should have had him cuffed/tied to one of the "soldiers".

19. Church AV Guy

Church AV Guy Active Member

Jan 19, 2005
    high desert...
    While this is undoubtedly true, according to
    the IMDB, Pope is in eight out of the ten episodes. The same as Wyle, Patton, and a whole bunch of others. Somehow or other, he'll be back.

20. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    But undoubtedly he'll be back to cause trouble rather than help the team. To me, Pope is just there to be a "Sawyer", the rebel who just won't listen to authority which will cause trouble for everyone.