Falling Skies - 8/7/11

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by markz, Aug 8, 2011.

1. Aug 8, 2011 #1 of 66
    markz

markz Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2002
    Connersville...
    Man, those aliens are tall! That final scene reminded me of a cross between Close Encounters and Star Wars: Attack of the Clones.

I was hoping that the radio frequency trick would cause the mechs to malfunction, not just retreat.

2. Aug 8, 2011 #2 of 66
    Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    I'm not sure why it would, though. It was screwing up their radio, not their CPU.

(Which puts aside the question of why the exact same signal would interfere both with the mechanical signal sent to the Mechs and the biological signal sent to the Harnessed...)

3. Aug 8, 2011 #3 of 66
    markz

markz Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2002
    Connersville...
    It was weird too that after they sent the mechs into retreat, they said they had cause problems with the skitters even though we never saw any skitters this episode. I suppose they could be talking about what was seen elsewhere and just not by us.

4. Aug 8, 2011 #4 of 66
    Fahtrim

Fahtrim Member

Apr 12, 2004
    Missouri
    This show was doing well, then the writers crapped their pants, and took that crap out of their pants and threw it on the script.

Such stupidity:

1. Nothing in the show to this point shows why they wouldn't take the black kid MIke back, huge tactical mistake to not just reharness him, sloppy writing.

2. Plot device to get Ben in the show with changing frequencies, but then we'll just hope they don't change the frequency again. Lame

3. Shooting down the flying craft with the RPG, was that a heat seeker, b/c no way it hits anything otherwise.

4. Getting in the ship with them, um ok sure now everyone will trust him when he comes back, and the ship tracking them so easy, but they can drive loud motorcycles around no problems.....

I'll probably still watch it next summer just to complain about it :)

5. Aug 8, 2011 #5 of 66
    NetJunkie

NetJunkie New Member

Feb 19, 2003
    Charlotte, NC
    I agree with EVERYTHING you said, including watching it next season to complain. :) My understanding was that this show was originally supposed to be a mini-series for one season and they extended it. I wish networks would see this NEVER works...and it shows. Such huge plot holes in this show...and almost no alien contact for the last 3 or 4 episodes? Just makes no sense.

6. Aug 8, 2011 #6 of 66
    DeDondeEs

DeDondeEs Well-Known Member TCF Club

Feb 20, 2004
    Las Vegas, NV
    I was OK during the first hour, well entertained at least, but that second hour just threw the whole show off the tracks for me.

First in a previous episode they blew a hole the size of a softball in the armor when Pope demonstrated the new bullets, but when the mech approached this time it took 100's of rounds to take one down without any huge holes.

Then all of the other divisions got wiped out, but this one because they hooked a tiny transmitter to a flag pole sent the enemy scrambling and apparently wanting to negotiate. The taking out of the enemy ship with an RPG was hillarious as well.

Also when they showed all of those flying ships returning to the structure, where were they all coming from? You'd think with that volume of ships going around you'd see them flying over all of the time, and at one point one would fly over the school.

The disparity of the alien technologies is the most frustrating thing for me, they use analog technology to communicate on standard frequencies, and standard caliber ammunition, yet they have these levitating ships, and devices that can be attached to someones back to remote control them. Then for once on one of these alien attacking shows, I wish the aliens would have smart-weapons, ones that can track and hit their target once. But I guess if they had those, then there wouldn't be anyone left to do the show about.

Then when he got in the ship I just started wondering how they are going to write themselves out of this hole. Not having the show come back until next summer is a mistake as well, since people will easily forget about this show, they should bring it back in January or early spring.

7. Aug 8, 2011 #7 of 66
    astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    This was the first week that plot holes bothered me. I've enjoyed this show, and in general, didn't have to turn on "Suspension of Disbelief" mode very often; in fact, rarely. But this finale just blew that to crap. The bit with the mech bullets was especially disconcerting after the buildup we'd been given (mech killers!!! Yay!!!). And several other scenes that just seemed out of character after the decent writing we'd had all year.

I didn't have a problem with Tom going with ET. When you got nothing left to lose, you gotta take a chance. I thought the threat they would "re-activate" Ben was another piece of crappy writing; they should have simply said if you want to learn what this is all about, come with us (or something along those lines).

Most cable shows do this (except the ones now running two mini-mini-seasons a year). I think we're used to it by now. Mad Men will be over a year; Walking Dead a full year+.

8. Aug 8, 2011 #8 of 66
    oscarfish

oscarfish Member

Mar 1, 2009
    Did they ever explain why in one of the earlier episodes a skitter had those children shot in front of Hal? I was expecting all along that the girl taken prisoner would come back in some way (and she did), but this demonstration killing still makes no sense to me.

Next episode, summer 2012. On the one hand, I don't want to wait ten months. OTOH, I kind of like the fact that there are now a lot of original summer TV shows.

9. Aug 8, 2011 #9 of 66
    BradJW

BradJW Well-Known Member

Jun 9, 2008
    Houston
    Walking Dead started Oct 31, 2010. It's coming back around Oct 15th. So about 10 months for that. It just seems like it's been over a year.

10. BradJW

BradJW Well-Known Member

Jun 9, 2008
    Houston
    Just checked. Walking Dead ended on Dec 5th, 2010 and is coming back Oct 16, 2011.

11. dtle

dtle Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2001
    DFW
    Hal's father explained it. The skitters was sending a message, "Take one and we will kill the rest". That's why when they went to get Ben, they went for the whole group.

Speaking of which, what happened to the other kids?? No mentioned of them detecting the radio frequencies.

12. Maui

Maui Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2000
    Decatur, IL
    So, I have the whole season on my recorder. What is the verdict? Worth watching?

13. Fahtrim

Fahtrim Member

Apr 12, 2004
    Missouri
    You are comparing this show to Mad Men and Walking Dead? ha

14. Fahtrim

Fahtrim Member

Apr 12, 2004
    Missouri
    If you have other good shows to watch, then watch those

15. BradJW

BradJW Well-Known Member

Jun 9, 2008
    Houston
    Definitely worth watching.

16. jsartoris

jsartoris New Member

Dec 20, 2001
    Grayslake, IL
    It's science fiction, and it's on television. Of course it's worth watching.

17. wkearney99

wkearney99 Bill Kearney

Dec 5, 2003
    Bethesda,...
    Everything over the air ends up being an analog signal. I can screw up anything digital with an analog noise maker sweeping through on the right frequencies. That part is at least somewhat believable. I didn't see the initial episodes but if the aliens didn't take old analog RF gear into account it would make sense how that threw things into a bit of confusion. Especially given the whole 'resistance was unexpected' angle. Their command-control structure might well have no effective means of countering the unexpected disruption. Everything can be adapted, but bad practices have often led to more than one battlefield loss.

As for re-use, consider it's better to make use of local materials than have a long supply line. That's true in any kind of conflict. Sure, there's the screwy coincidence of caliber size, but it's hard to argue with the merits of gunpowder ammunition.

But hey, it's just TV fiction, so it doesn't have to be 'real'. Just enough to keep the audience entertained.

Truth be told I'm more than a bit fed up with the long hiatus intervals the networks seem addicted to using.

18. trainman

trainman Nice to see you

Jan 29, 2001
    Sherman...
    Argh, you don't put an "Exit 12" plate and "next 3 exits" on the same sign.

By "you," I mean "the 'Falling Skies' prop designer who made that fake highway sign."

And then there's the use of "Downtown Boston" on that sign (as opposed to "Financial District" or "Government Center" or something), but I'm more familiar with general highway sign standards than I am with what things are called in Boston.

19. JohnB1000

JohnB1000 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2004
    I saved the whole season and watched it all this weekend and I'm torn on how to answer you. Usually watching shows back-to-back like this helps them. I'm a VERY forgiving TV show watcher but I found myself getting quite bored with this show, realizing the plot holes and dumb character actions (which is rare for me to care about), so I really can't whole heartedly recommend it.

To me it seemed like a 4 show mini series that was extended to 10 or so shows, followed by "holy crap we need a season 2"

20. markz

markz Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2002
    Connersville...
    Definitely worth watching! Most complaints came from the last hour, but I think that was from them trying to take a 10-episode mini-series and leave it open-ended when it got turned into a multi-season series.