Fakecall vs. PPV

Discussion in 'TiVo Underground' started by Vercingetorix, Aug 21, 2007.

1. Vercingetorix

Vercingetorix New Member

Mar 19, 2006
    Greetings,

I have an older R10 Directivo. When I set it up a year and a half ago, I applied the then-current version of the Zipper and Rbautch's script. It has worked beautifully for me, although I never had a chance to play with all the extra stuff very much. (A one-year-old will do that to you.)

Anyway, my problem is this: the wife has suddenly decided that she wants to be able to order PPV movies again, and since she was able to do so with the remote of our old Tivo, then of course she expects to be able to do that with the remote of this Tivo. In order to make that happen I'm going to have to plug a phone line into the unit, and I'm concerned that that might be a bad thing.

I've searched fairly exhaustively, and there's lots of conflicting information out there about whether the PPV calls are the same thing as the daily calls. The current version of Rbautch's script appears to allow you to leave the phone line plugged in (as the notes say, "This allows you to keep your phone line connected for PPV ordering or CallerID"), but on my unit fakecall runs at ~11 pm, not 3 am.

Any thoughts? Thanks for your help in restoring my domestic harmony...

2. Gunnyman

Gunnyman Just a boring dude

Jul 10, 2003
    Upstate...
    No problem at all
    I have a phone line plugged in to my Tivo for Caller ID and PPV. Fakecall only deals with the call to TiVo inc. The DTV PPV calls go thru just fine.

3. Vercingetorix

Vercingetorix New Member

Mar 19, 2006
    Fantastic. That's exactly what I was hoping. Thanks for the quick reply. I was somewhat concerned that the fact that fakecall is running so early meant that I was missing a later enhancement to the script that circumvented the PPV call-in problem.

I need to take better notes, I guess. When you only mess around in with the Tivo once a year, you forget what version of everything you've used, what scripts you've run, etc.