fake satellite/external modem on S1

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by unitron, Aug 10, 2011.

1. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    I'm re-doing Guided Setup on a standalone S1, and telling it I have both analog cable, no cable box, which I do, and satellite, which I don't.

The satellite lie is so that I can have a channel 1 that's really the line inputs, in this case audio and S-video.

The internal modem died sometime back and I'll be setting it up where the TurboNet card won't be usable, so it's back to an external modem.

What serial controlled satellite box can I say I have (and should I go with MPG or APG) to not get signals sent down the serial line that would confuse and/or screw up the external modem?

Since this TiVo has an IR blaster on the front I'm hesitant to pretend that the satellite box I'm pretending to have is infra-red controlled.

2. ggieseke

ggieseke Well-Known Member

May 30, 2008
    I would just use IR and see if it messes up anything else. The only time I ever had any problems was when I had two S1s with identical STBs in the same room. If it does, it's pretty easy to block the front panel blaster. Remove the circuit card and slap some black tape over the blaster LED.

3. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Well-Known Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    So tuning to channel 0 doesn't access the RCA inputs on an S1 like it does, or at least used to, on an S2?

4. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    I think they updated the S2 software to prevent that, which is why I'm using an S1 Philips instead of a TCD24008A, although now that I think about it, I might just as well lie to the 240 about having satellite as to the S1.

But the S1, when tuned to channel 0 will apparently show whatever's attached to the yellow RCA input jack, and to the S-Video input jack when tuned to channel 1. But if you don't have a good excuse (like a sat or cable box) for being on either of those channels, trying to record from them dumps you back to the menu or something else unhelpful.