1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Failure to record or partial recording due to (fake) “power loss”

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by iconoclast, Jul 20, 2018.

Tags:
  1. iconoclast

iconoclast Member

Oct 27, 2014
    Several times this past week, programs did not record or only recorded last ½ & History claims due to power loss.
    Several different channels & times.
    There was no Power loss.
    One evening, when 5 different shows failed to record, I was actually using TiVo to watch other prerecorded programming… for hours!

I suspect a recent software update since I have used TiVo for years & never had this issue b4.

I found a 10 year old thread dealing with the same issue:
    TivoHD not recording b/c of "Power Loss"

I have restarted a couple times & forced a communication with host.
    No help.
    Tonight I tried unplugging TiVo for 2 minutes. Don’t know whether that “solved” the issue yet.

Is there a solution?

Thanks!

2. slowbiscuit

slowbiscuit FUBAR

Sep 19, 2006
    In the ATL
    Don't use standby, don't use power save. Done.

iconoclast and PSU_Sudzi like this.
  3. iconoclast

iconoclast Member

Oct 27, 2014
    Thanks for the reply!
    I don’t use Standby.
    I did have Power Savings set to Medium. Automatically enter Standby if not used for 4 hours. I changed it to Manual, never enter Standby.

Not sure this was the problem since I have had these settings for years w/o this issue. Also, Last Saturday, TiVo failed to record 5 shows on 2 different channels, while I was using TiVo to watch other, previously recorded shows, for several hours, during the time it was supposed to record.

4. slowbiscuit

slowbiscuit FUBAR

Sep 19, 2006
    In the ATL
    Having settings for years does not stop Tivo from screwing it up with new bugs that are introduced. Always been that way with updates, they break stuff when they fix stuff.

5. iconoclast

iconoclast Member

Oct 27, 2014
    OK, So you’re saying despite being able to have Power Savings set to Medium for years, it is possible that a recent update “broke” that & setting PS to manual can be a work-a-round until/unless TiVo fixes the new bug they introduced.

Maybe.

But, the fact that I was using the TiVo for hours, during the time it failed to record 5 shows, proves that it had nothing to do with standby. The TiVo obviously was NOT in standby when it failed to record that day.

It has not happened again since I unplugged & replugged & then I changed the PS as I mentioned so no standby.

I wish TiVo Tech support would comment. Don’t they monitor this forum?

6. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    No, they don't monitor their own forum either. Here's my theory. There's a list of error messages. At the bottom is the one for power failure. When an unknown error is detected in a recording operation, the last item in the list is displayed. It's as good a guess as any.

There are other occasions where an update had broken a function that has been working for years. Display of left column in My Shows comes to mind.

Give this a try: Tivo Customer Support Community

krkaufman and iconoclast like this.
  7. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    This is a TiVo community forum and not a TiVo forum so no. :)

They have over the years occasionally had some TiVo representation here (more in the past) although TiVo Ted has been fairly visible recently but typically revolving around Hydra (he's not TiVo support though).

Scott

8. sfhub

sfhub Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2007
  9. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    So far I have not been hit with the Power Lost bug on my Roamio. Only on my Bolts. So I still have the High Power Savings mode enabled on my Roamio. While my Bolts have standby disabled. Which I hope is fixed soon so I can re-enable the High Power Savings mode on my Bolts.

10. iconoclast

iconoclast Member

Oct 27, 2014
    I did post on the TiVo Help forums that Joe Kustra linked.

I did this 7-23-2018.
    As of today….0 replies.

Great Customer Service TiVo!

11. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    Yep. The [not] new normal! That forum is probably the least likely place to get help, unfortunately.

tim1724 likes this.
  12. dishrich

dishrich Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Springfield, IL
    Count me in as now having this issue this past Friday on my Roamio Pro w/legacy UI; 4 shows were supposed to have been recorded scattered throughout the day & NONE did, with the bogus "power loss" reason in history. (luckily I caught it late Friday night, so that I didn't continue to loose more recordings) I've NEVER had this problem on any of my Tivo's, nor did I remember seeing other postings of it. BUT before I posted it, I did a search & sure enough, there's obviously others out there that have. I KNOW my "power loss" issue was fake, since one of my other Roamio's & PC tower are all plugged into the same UPS...& NEITHER had lost their power.

My PS setting is on LOW on all my Roamio's, but I guess I'd better turn it to OFF on all of them, to help guard against this latest issue...now getting to be almost as bad having to babysit these things, as it is with the garbage DISH Hoppers. :mad:

13. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Same here, though I’m not home and so can’t check which day it was. Our TE3 Pro missed a number of recordings from around 10pm thru 5am, with “Power Loss” as the reported reason.

Fortunately, lacking faith in our TiVos, we have a backup Pro with a nearly identical OnePass setup and the backup didn’t experience the same glitch.

14. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Chuckle! Sad but painfully true.

15. iconoclast

iconoclast Member

Oct 27, 2014
    So far the work-a-round of power savings setting turned off, has prevented this problem.

Of course, IDK if TiVo is aware & has fixed it, bc I am not willing to miss desired shows to test by turning PS setting back on!

BTW, Still no reply to my post on TiVo Support > 2 months ago!

Since my last visit there, someone has spammed that forum with many posts, using gibberish as a font. I don’t think it is a language, rather a series of symbols.

Due to non existent TiVo Support, TiVo would not get my business again.

16. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    I still have not run across this on my Roamio. It is still set for High Power Savings mode. While with my Bolts I turned the Power savings mode off. Which has prevented this problem from occurring again with them.

17. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    It happened on my Roamio Pro, set to “Manual” Power Saving mode ... but I can’t guarantee that the DVR hadn’t been manually set to Standby prior to the “Power Loss” glitch occurrence.