Failing Roamio Pro HD, possible to copy programs

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by pauljb55, Feb 5, 2015.

1. pauljb55

pauljb55 Now in Miami Beach

May 2, 2005
    Florida

Advertisements

Hi, searched and had no luck. My inlaws seem to always have trouble with their tivos...dont want to open that bag of problems. But now that they are down to just a roamio pro and a few mini's when their main tivo started failing, they got down right pissed.

From speaking with them it seems like the HD is failing. Is there a way to backup the programs from the failing HD and copying over to the new HD?

Sorry if its easily findable...I searched and clearly I could not find it.

Thanks for the help! I head over tomorrow and want to get it fixed while my father in law is out for surgery.

2. Arcady

Arcady Stargate Fan

Oct 14, 2004
    Philadelphia...
    You can copy to another TiVo or to a PC if the shows are not protected. Since they only have one TiVo, your best bet is probably copying to a PC. See the threads in the "TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo" section for more info about it.

3. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    The only thing you can do to salvage shows is to transfer them to another Tivo or PC while its running, but if the drive is failing, then there is no way to do it. Also, there is currently no programs or apps to copy or backup the drive whatsoever. If its within the 90 day warranty, you can contact Tivo for a replacement, most likely, they will send out a refurbished model as the replacement. With expired or voided warranty, you can simply replace the drive with a new, blank drive and the Tivo box will make it operational, as if it was new.

4. L David Matheny

L David Matheny Active Member

Jan 29, 2011
    SE Ohio
    If the drive isn't yet too corrupted, it may be possible to connect it to a computer and copy it to a new drive the same size or a bit larger. Search for threads that mention "ddrescue" for details. Don't delay; sometimes that leads to data loss. BTW, the TiVo should be on a UPS.

5. davidg716

davidg716 Member

Jan 20, 2015

Advertisements

Leaving the drive in the TiVo no, but if you pull the drive DVRbars can make a backup image of your roamio drive and you can restore it to a new drive. I Did it a week ago.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=503261

The only drawback is the amount of storage will be the same, you can't use it to clone to a bigger drive and expect more space because the partition map I duplicated as well.

6. pauljb55

pauljb55 Now in Miami Beach

May 2, 2005
    Florida
    Thank you for all the help. Unit is on a UPS