failing drive?

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by azmp1, Dec 7, 2019.

1. Dec 7, 2019 #1 of 16
    azmp1

azmp1 Member

Mar 2, 2005
    Maryland
    Folks, im having issues with random reboots. few days ago, it woudnt boot at all, just cycled through the reboot.... thought it was toast. i left it off for a few days and today its booted up. i have a roamio pro 6 tuner dvr. i think the drive is going bad here, based on all the other threads i've read.... and now since it looks like its not completely dead i will get it replaced ASAP.
    the question i have is what are the recommended/proven drives to use?
    thanks!

2. Dec 7, 2019 #2 of 16
    DeltaOne

DeltaOne Mount Airy, MD

Sep 29, 2013
  3. Dec 7, 2019 #3 of 16
    ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Recommended drive is WD Red, not Pro or 7200+ RPM. You can use up to 8TB.

I would not recommend copying anything from the old failing drive as it can pass errors over.
    Use MSFR to be able to use the entire drive. Its not needed if its 3TB or smaller.

4. Dec 7, 2019 #4 of 16
    azmp1

azmp1 Member

Mar 2, 2005
    Maryland
    Perfect, thank you guys. Is there a guide for using MSFR?

ThAbtO, what id you mean by "Its not needed if its 3TB or smaller"?

5. Dec 7, 2019 #5 of 16
    ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Its not needed because the Roamio and Bolt can format up to 3TB on its own and utilize the whole space. MSFR is a Windows program that expands beyond the 3TB. It does not copy anything.

6. Dec 7, 2019 #6 of 16
    azmp1

azmp1 Member

Mar 2, 2005
    Maryland
    so am I understanding this correctly? If I don't need to copy anything over, I can just install a brand new drive and Tivo will initialize it itself, no tools required?

7. Dec 7, 2019 #7 of 16
    ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Yes, but you would lose your shows and passes and since the current drive is failing, it would be wise not to copy from that drive and start from fresh.

MSFR is used to expand from the max that the Roamio can initialize (3TB) to up to 8TB (should you be using an 8TB drive, for example.)

8. Dec 7, 2019 #8 of 16
    azmp1

azmp1 Member

Mar 2, 2005
    Maryland
    That’s awesome! I didn’t know the new TiVo’s did that. I’ve done several drive upgrade all back on the old series 2s and 3 HDs many years ago, don’t even remember the process anymore. But since premiers I never needed more space and oddly enough I’ve never had a drive failure on any of my TiVo’s throughout the years.
    Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited: Dec 8, 2019
  9. Dec 8, 2019 #9 of 16
    azmp1

azmp1 Member

Mar 2, 2005
    Maryland
    Hey just so I’m 100% sure I’m not missing anything.
    Once I get the new drive, all I need to do is swap it in and power on the TiVo as usual? No other steps are need, at all, TiVo will take care of everything?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    Yep--for a 3TB-and-less hard drive, the box automatically will do whatever is needed (you don't even need to tell it to, and likely will not even notice anything). Nice, huh? :)

The caveats: you don't get your earlier recordings back (you would need to add them back manually from your PC, having saved them there earlier--pyTivo Desktop is great for this), and likewise as to Season Passes, thumbs up/down, your channel list, etc. (kmttg can be used to save those and then restore them to the new box). It's like having a brand-new, virgin TiVo box.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2019
  11. azmp1

azmp1 Member

Mar 2, 2005
    Maryland
    Thank you for confirming. And yes absolutely awesome!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NorthAlabama, Mikeguy and JoeKustra like this.
  12. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    True, so you have to re-register your streaming services like Pandora, Amazon, Netflix, etc. but going to 3TB is so easy.

13. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    I guess that TiVo did this for its own manufacture assembly ease-of-setup, but it sure benefits the TiVo modders nicely!

JoeKustra likes this.
  14. Sheffield Steve

Sheffield Steve Member

Jun 11, 2010
    I have never understood why TiVo has never provided a facility to upload the DVR settings to their "cloud". i.e. store the season Passes, thumbs up/down, channel list, etc.

It seems such and easy thing to do and it would make recovering failed TiVo's so much better

15. azmp1

azmp1 Member

Mar 2, 2005
    Maryland
    Hey any tips on how to import the season passes back in? i exported them using kmttg (into CSV), but for the life of me cannot see the option on how to import it back in...

thanks

16. kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    On the Season Passes tab in KMTTG, press the Load Button and browse to your saved .sp file. That loads your saved SP's. Then click Modfiy.

-KP

Mikeguy likes this.