"failed while indexing" error message

Discussion in 'TiVo Series 1 - UK' started by windymiller88, Aug 1, 2010.

1. Aug 1, 2010 #1 of 13
    windymiller88

windymiller88 New Member

Jun 7, 2010

Advertisements

I am in the process of setting up my TiVo again after a rebuild and am getting stuck about halfway through the setup process with this error message displayed.

The message appears at the stage when after I have advised TiVo which channels I receive it dials up for programme info.

I have managed to enable the unit to successfully dial up (before setup) and apparently index OK. However at this point in the guided setup (possibly because of some of my selections in the setup process) this now appears not possible.

I seem to be now left with no further options at this point (having done this a few times) but to cut the power and reboot which takes me straight to the setup programme. Is this the case, i.e. can I exit the setup programme to get to the main screen?

thanks

2. Aug 1, 2010 #2 of 13
    velocitysurfer1

velocitysurfer1 Proud S1lifer

Sep 6, 2006
    De11
    Keep trying! Mine did this after a rebuild and a couple of reboots and redials later it went past this stage.

There are other threads on here which says to clear your logs, via telnet. But I just kept retrying.

IIRC it something to do with the size of the download when lots of guide data is missing.

3. Aug 2, 2010 #3 of 13
    windymiller88

windymiller88 New Member

Jun 7, 2010
    many thanks. I kept trying as you suggested and indeed it succeeded on the 6th attempt. It is now still sorting the data (after about 12 hours from data download) however I'll simply keep my fingers crossed and assume that the long wait is due to the first time download. I'll (hopefully) complete the thread by reporting how long it took to compile / index the programming and data download.

4. Sep 5, 2010 #4 of 13
    Paul_J

Paul_J New Member

Jan 9, 2001
    Dunmow,...
    Did this work in the end, I now have the same issue?

Cheers Paul

5. Sep 6, 2010 #5 of 13
    Paul_J

Paul_J New Member

Jan 9, 2001
    Dunmow,...

Advertisements

OK I have picked up a 500GB disk and used Hooch to build a fresh disk. I will try installing it later and see how far I can get.

6. babycakes

babycakes New Member

Oct 18, 2010
    Nightmare - this has happened to me and the guide data has expired.
    The daily call suceeds but then it fails to index.

I have repeated guided setup with aerial only and it works but as soon as I try to get my freeview line-up then it fails again.

Is there something wrong with the Freeview download from Tivo?

7. Paul_J

Paul_J New Member

Jan 9, 2001
    Dunmow,...
    In the end what fixed my issue was taking the TiVo into work and making the daily call on the phone line there.

8. babycakes

babycakes New Member

Oct 18, 2010
    That is really odd because the Tivo does not say that the data is not downloading or that it is corrupt.

It starts indexing and then gets upset and says "failed while indexing programmes". However, if I repeat the guided setup with aerial only then it all works beautifully.

Very odd. Is my Tivo dead?

9. Ian_m

Ian_m Active Member

Jan 9, 2001
    Southampton,...
    Swap file ?

One of my early attempts at copying a TiVo disk resulted in no active swap file (early tools didn't setup swap file correctly), which manifested as "failed while indexing programmes".

Luckily swap file space was there but just not initialised (?) and a few commands later all was fixed.

10. babycakes

babycakes New Member

Oct 18, 2010

It has been working fine since and only failed recently. Why is it okay if I select aerial only? All very odd.

11. DX30

DX30 New Member

May 22, 2005
    The aerial only setup has far fewer channels, so needs less memory to index.

I'd echo Ian_m's comments about the swap file - when I messed up an upgrade and had no swap file I had similar symptoms to you. I could run guided setup for Freeview but indexing failed, while for aerial only indexing succeeded.

If you enable backdoors you can see in the log file whether or not the swap file is being used so it's fairly easy to check that possibility.

12. babycakes

babycakes New Member

Oct 18, 2010
    Thanks for your response. I have taken a look at the log files but I cannot figure out what I should be looking for to confirm that the swap file is being/not being used?

Just to confirm the error message on the Phone Connection screen says "failed while loading series".

13. DX30

DX30 New Member

May 22, 2005
    Look in the kernel log for "activating swap partitions" and make sure it worked. If you have an error like "unable to find swap-space signature" you have a problem. It may help to restart the TiVo before looking so the log file is shorter.

There is more info about this here

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?postid=629608