Failed. No DHCP Server

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by tyketime, Jan 4, 2006.

1. tyketime

tyketime New Member

Oct 18, 2003
    I've had my 2 Tivos for a couple of years with minimal wireless networking troubles. Unfortunately, ever since I received the 7.2.1-oth-01-2-140 update, I've had nothing but problems. For some reason, both Tivos "lose" their internal Linksys IP Address, and when it tries to connect to download program data, I get the "Failed. No DHCP Server" error message. Yet, the screen does show my network name and a signal strength between 40-60%. In order to fix the problem, I unplug and plug back in the wireless USB adapter from the back of the Tivo. I then unplug the Linksys Router, wait a couple of seconds, and then plug it back in. If I go back to the Tivo, I can see the status change and get assigned a valid IP Address. I then proceed to force a connection manually.

Every day or two, I have to repeat this process for each machine. Do any of you have an idea of what may be different (other than the obvious software update) which would cause the symptoms I've described above?

Thanks for your help!
    Brian

2. mrjam2jab

mrjam2jab Still Learning

Jul 23, 2004
    Levittown, PA
    This past weekend I introduced a router into my network....originally was just peer-to-peer btwn the 2 TIVOs. Everything hooked up just fine....all pieces on correct network w/ correct IPs.

2 days later one TIVO seemed to spontaneously change its IP address. Even tho it showed still "connected" to correct network...it wasnt seeing the router due to IP address change. All i had to do was restart the TIVO and it reconnectied with correct IP address.

I havent checked it since so i assume its still correct.....

but same question....Why would TIVO change its IP address?