Failed Ethernet Port?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by JPShinn, Jun 30, 2008.

1. JPShinn

JPShinn New Member

Aug 24, 2004
    SF Bay Area

Advertisements

Hello All:

Sorry if this has been addressed before but a basic search didn't turn up any results.

In any event, I recently moved my Tivo Series 3 in connection with a move of my home. Other than the physical address, nothing has changed (Comcast with a wired Ethernet connection through a Linksys router). The set up went smoothly and all seemed well. However, after about 1/2 hour following the Comcast visit to turn on my cable connection, I couldn't get an ethernet connection on the Series 3. When I looked at the ethernet port, I had zero lights on the port (neither the connectivity nor the activity lights). The phone connection seems to work and the Tivo itself seems fine. Might I have a faulty Ethernet port? Is it possible that the Comcast team sent some kind of signal that fried the port? :(

Thx.
    John

2. TexasGrillChef

TexasGrillChef New Member

Sep 15, 2006
    Check your ethernet cable. 9 times out of 10 its the cable.

3. DrewTivo

DrewTivo Member

Mar 29, 2005
    It's always possible, but I'd do a bunch of other troubleshooting first.

1) Try different cables
    2) Try a computer using the same cable
    3) Reset cable modem
    4) Reset router

4. JPShinn

JPShinn New Member

Aug 24, 2004
    SF Bay Area
    I will try all of those solutions but I had thought (maybe I am ignorant) that if you plugged in a cable into the back of the Tivo, at the very least one of the lights would flash (signifying that a cable is in fact inserted, regardless of whether there is traffic flowing). Am I incorrect?

Thx.
    John

5. greg_burns

greg_burns Now in HD

May 21, 2004
    Slower...

Advertisements

On my S3 if I plug a cable into the ethernet port it lights up a solid green (and another flashes orange during data transmission). It will only do that if the other end of the cable is also plugged into something (switch, hub, etc.) ...and everything is working. ;)

6. Jul 1, 2008 #6 of 20
    DrewTivo

DrewTivo Member

Mar 29, 2005
    Same here. But if the light isn't lit, that still points to the cable or the router as possible problems as well. Does the router light for the port/jack you have it plugged into light up?

7. Jul 1, 2008 #7 of 20
    TivoInNY

TivoInNY Tivo Addict

Dec 19, 2002
    New York
    Oddly, I ran into this problem for the first time in a year and a half of living with my S3. About a week ago, my Ethernet appears to have stopped working, without any indication that the Tivo recognized the Ethernet cable plugged into it (no lights, no indication of the network in the menus).

I tried switching cables, reset my router (which is also my DHCP server), and even swapped out the switch that the Tivo was plugged into, even through the switch was working fine for my Soundbridge which was also plugged in. In fact, the whole network is very reliable and was running well.

Anyway, nothing worked reliably until I rebooted the Tivo. I'm back up and running now without issue. Hopefully your resolution is this simple and, hopefully, a one-time thing.

Good luck!

8. phidoug

phidoug New Member

Jul 31, 2008
    This SAME thing happened to my tivo on 7/20ish. Had to reboot to get the ethernet prot to work again.

9. Oct 7, 2008 #9 of 20
    mertn

mertn New Member

Nov 12, 2006
    I have the same problem, but unfortunately have not found a solution. A few weeks ago my S3 ethernet port stopped responding - no lights, no indication of ethernet connection in menus. I've tried swapping cables, rebooting the router, rebooting the tivo many times... nothing works. The tivo is convinced that nothing is plugged into that port. I was assuming the port had burned out somehow. Any thoughts about replacing that hardware, or other ideas of how to troubleshoot?

Thanks!

10. rvsj

rvsj Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Any chance that you accidentally plugged a live phone cable into the ethernet port? It will fit and the 48 volts (96 if ringing) is way more than the ethernet port is designed to handle.

11. SNJpage1

SNJpage1 Well-Known Member TCF Club

May 25, 2006
    Atlantic...
    if the port is fried get a USB netword adapter

12. oViTynoT

oViTynoT Obvious Forum Lurker

May 18, 2007
    Plano, TX
    A live single-line phone cable will not in any way affect an ethernet port. If you plug a phone line into an ethernet port, the signal pair is on pins 4 and 5. 10 and 100 Megabit Ethernet doesn't use those pairs; Ethernet uses 1+2 and 3+6. (Gig Ethernet uses ALL FOUR pairs.)

When desiging for Twisted Pair PHYs, that exact scenario was intentionally designed in. I have built MANY structured wiring plans that placed the phone line on the same jack as the ethernet. Works without fail every time.

Incidentally, phone line voltage is 48V DC unless ringing, then it's 48V AC (40 V RMS) MINIMUM, but can be as high as 150V. Still, it won't harm an ethernet port, unless the port is incorrectly engineered.

You can make a Loopback plug to put right into the TiVO to eliminate any other possibility.

Get a Crimp-On RJ45 plug, Connect (ie, SHORT) Pin 1 to Pin 3, and Pin 2 to Pin 6. (Pin 1 is on the left if the wire is DOWN, and the locking tab is in the back.) Crimp that, plug it in.

If it doesn't work, the port is either: DEAD, DISABLED, or the Loopback is wrong.

13. mertn

mertn New Member

Nov 12, 2006
    Thanks for the responses! No, i didn't plug a phone line in the ethernet port - i didn't take any action at all; it just stopped working out of the blue after working fine for about a year. I guess the only thing i did differently was watch a few YouTube videos, which presumably gave the network connection more than its usual amount of activity.

I have a USB network adapter that i used with my Series 2 Tivo, so i tried plugging that into one of the USB ports on the S3 and plugging my ethernet cable into that - no joy. I still just got the error that nothing was detected plugged into the ethernet port. It didn't seem to expect to find an ethernet connection elsewhere, and i didn't see a menu option to change that. Just stuff about wireless.

I'm not sure i understand the instructions for making the loopback plug, but i'm going to try opening up the box this weekend and see if it makes more sense when i'm looking at the internals. I really appreciate the instructions - i'm just not very experienced with messing with electronics.

Thanks again. m.

14. kgb1967

kgb1967 New Member

Apr 12, 2010
    I bought my series 3 soon after they became available... Many years ago. Just 30 days ago, my ethernet connection failed. Did some troubleshooting:

Tested ethernet cable (between laptop and router): Good
    Tested router's ethernet ports: Good
    Also tried USB ethernet port from TiVo Ser 2: TiVo Ser 3 does not recognize

Forgot in which thread I came across this, but another user connected a TiVo Wireless G adapter to his TiVo Ser 3... machine recognized that and connected. So, I just bought one from Amazon $40.

Until it gets here, I will make a phone connection.

15. davemcs

davemcs New Member

Nov 18, 2003
    My hard wired ethernet connection is having issues these days too on our Tivo HD. Connections to the Tivo service are failing and the other Tivos on the network are not seen. I have to unplug/replug the USB connection to get things back "on" for a day or so..then back to the invisible network again...

What gives?

16. orangeboy

orangeboy yes, I AM orangeboy!

Apr 19, 2004
    East Moline, IL
    :confused:
    What's the USB connecting?

17. davemcs

davemcs New Member

Nov 18, 2003
    The network adapter is connected to the THD via the USB port. When I noticed the THD has gone "blind", I have to unplug the usb and replug it and then all is right. the upstairs Tivo reappears, the PC appears and even Netflix returns once I force a connection to the Tivo server.
    Which BTW, had been failing since the network adapter was showing as unplugged.

18. oldradio99

oldradio99 Member

Nov 22, 2005
    I have a stranger situation. Unable to get my Tivo HD to boot but both the green and the yellow ethernet lights are lit with no cable plugged in.

19. oViTynoT

oViTynoT Obvious Forum Lurker

May 18, 2007
    Plano, TX
    Sounds like the interface is stuck in initialization / POST test.

20. mpcook

mpcook New Member

Oct 17, 2010
    Have you found a solution? I have the same thing.