Failed Daily Call (Continuation of GSOD)

Discussion in 'TiVo Series 1 - UK' started by ukcobra, Aug 28, 2007.

1. ukcobra

ukcobra New Member

Jun 2, 2004
    Reading
    Following the help given in the GSOD thread, I have had to replace the drive, and today booted my Tivo and got beyond the Powering Up stage.

I made the Tivo make a daily call, it downloaded the data, but failed on unpacking the data.

I have made a test call and it passed the 4 tests.

Now when I try the daily call it dials out, and comes back with "Failed. Unknown error."

I used MFSTools2 from an LBA47 40MB Image and expanded to fill the disk, it completed OK.

What do I do next ?

Thanks

Mark

2. Pete77

Pete77 New Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Not Far...
  3. ukcobra

ukcobra New Member

Jun 2, 2004
    Reading
  4. ukcobra

ukcobra New Member

Jun 2, 2004
    Reading
    Getting a few Number unavailable errors. I wonder if there is a problem at the other end ?

5. Pete77

Pete77 New Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Not Far...
    Did you not run copykern the last time and yes the URL was incorrect.

6. ukcobra

ukcobra New Member

Jun 2, 2004
    Reading
    No, because we had a lba48 kernel image, I thought it was not needed .

How does it explain the dialup issues ?

Mark

7. ukcobra

ukcobra New Member

Jun 2, 2004
    Reading
    It did n't explain the dial up issues. Left it dialling out again at 12:48am this morning, and by the time I checked at 7am, it had completed downloading, unpacking and will display the programme data.

Must have been an inssue at the other end.

Mark

8. blindlemon

blindlemon tivoheaven.co.uk

May 12, 2002
    Malmesbury, UK
    You should still run copykern as otherwise your swap will be inactive and you will experience problems with the daily call.

Copykern is non-destructive and takes about 5 seconds to run :)

9. ukcobra

ukcobra New Member

Jun 2, 2004
    Reading
    Thanks, will pull the disk again and run it.

10. ukcobra

ukcobra New Member

Jun 2, 2004
    Reading
    As per the advice given above, copykern was run, took longer to set it all up than to do the linux commands.

Tivo is now working fine, thanks to everyone here who helped.

Mark

P.S Cachecard on the way to a colleague in the US, so I am sure I'll be asking some more questions shortly.

11. Tintop2K

Tintop2K New Member

Jan 5, 2003
    :):):):):)

Just read this, after the best part of 2 days struggling with Tivo being really slow and failing to process guide data after a disk replacement from a new lba48 image.

I too thought that this meant I could skip the copykern command. I didn't notice that it also created the swap area.

Just pulled the disk and have reimaged and run copykern on it. Everything is much faster now, all the menus are responsive and the guide data is downloading now.

At first I thought that there was a problem with one of the hacks I'd reinstalled or that the PSU was struggling due to the larger disk (I'd even ordered a new PSU yesterday, at least I'll have a spare now!).

Happy again now. Thanks blindlemon :D