Extreme Makeover: Weight Loss Edition (spoilers, whole season)

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by laria, May 31, 2011.

1. laria

laria Librocubicularist

Sep 7, 2000
    Seacoast, NH
    Anyone else watch this last night?

I thought it wasn't too bad. I liked how they showed one person for an entire year, rather than focus on a whole group of people at once. I am guessing that it can't be the same trainer in every episode, though, since he lived with that family for 3 months and I assume they will follow the same formula for all the people.

I thought that the girl should have been able to do better near the end. She admitted that her eating fell apart in months 6-9, although I find it hard to believe that if she was really working out 4-5 hours a day as she said that she was, that she was eating enough calories to offset it by that much. She didn't really do that much better in months 9-12 either, especially when you consider that she had a lot of skin weight removed. Still, losing 161 lbs is a big accomplishment.

2. IJustLikeTivo

IJustLikeTivo Active Member

Oct 3, 2001
    Gaithersburg...
    I forgot to watch. Was this Rachel? If so, my ABC station repeats it Saturday night then shows a new one on Monday.

3. laria

laria Librocubicularist

Sep 7, 2000
    Seacoast, NH
    Yes, it was.

4. KungFuCow

KungFuCow Thread Killer

May 6, 2004
    Good show.. most people complain about The Biggest Loser being too long.. I think this show was too short. It should have been 2 hours. It felt rushed.. I mean, they had to cover a year in an hour so I guess it was.

Pretty good results for her but yea, you could see she kind of fell apart after the trainer left, losing a total of what, about 30#s in 6 months, including what she lost in skin/fat weight from the surgery?

5. laria

laria Librocubicularist

Sep 7, 2000
    Seacoast, NH
    She did pretty good the first 3 months that the trainer wasn't there, losing 50 lbs instead of the goal 55. But yeah, the last 6 months... not good. She went from 239 (5 lbs short of her 6 month goal) to 208 those last 6 months, and yeah, a good chunk of that had to be skin/fat from the surgery.

I found this interview with her: http://omg.yahoo.com/news/extreme-m...ns-rachel-says-she-can-conquer-anything/63972 It says that she is currently around 200 lbs and would like to go to 190.

From looking at the site, it seems like this guy is the only trainer, so I find it hard to believe that he is actually doing what they say with the whole living with her for the first 3 months. There are 8 episodes total... he can't have really lived with all of them for 3 months unless this show has been filming for almost 3 years!

6. IJustLikeTivo

Oct 3, 2001
    Gaithersburg...
    Unless she is really tall 190 is still pretty large. My guess is that they're playing a bit loose with the living with for 3 months part.

7. laria

laria Librocubicularist

Sep 7, 2000
    Seacoast, NH
    She looked pretty tall, but the trainer could have been really short.

At 190, I would only be about 20-25 lbs overweight, so it doesn't seem that heavy to me. :)

Edit: Her bio says she is 6'0" so she is the same height as me.

8. IJustLikeTivo

Oct 3, 2001
    Gaithersburg...
    Oh, that makes a bit more sense. I haven't seen it yet and the picture in the article doesn't show her standing. 6' is pretty tall for a woman.

9. Jun 1, 2011 #9 of 30
    jradosh

jradosh Newlywed

Jul 31, 2001
    Herndon,...
    Overall I enjoyed the show. I wasn't crazy about the "prize/reward" aspect of it. Losing weight should be its own reward IMO.

And I agree that it seemed (almost) too short. I wish they had more about the exercises and the diet changes (with nutritional info). If someone were watching trying to learn how to make changes for themselves there simply wasn't enough information given out. On that front I think Biggest Loser has them beat.

But I like that they didn't gloss over the skin removal aspect of extreme weight loss.

10. IJustLikeTivo

Oct 3, 2001
    Gaithersburg...
    I'd bet most of the people on BL need this done when they finish. A lot of body shapers at the finale. I know a few of the winners had this done. Danny Cahill did it as a segment on the Dr's.

11. BrandonRe

BrandonRe Well-Known Member

Jul 14, 2006
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I watched and have to say the whole thing felt rushed. I think instead of following one person per episode through their year-long process I would like it better if they took all eight participants and showed us how each of them did during the same period in one episode, and take the eight episodes to show us the full year. The format just isn't as compelling to me as it could be. But I'm sure I'll watch since not much else is on Monday nights right now.

12. Cearbhaill

Cearbhaill Garden obsessed

Aug 1, 2004
    My back yard
    I saw this thread and was disappointed because I wanted to remember to record this.
    Then I looked through the DVR this morning and saw that I did.
    Now to watch it.

100% useless post, I know.
    But I am just so happy that my alter self recorded it for me :D

13. KungFuCow

KungFuCow Thread Killer

May 6, 2004
    OT kinda but I really dig the Australian Biggest Loser's format. They apparently have TBL down there 5 nights a week so each episode is fairly indepth with the challenges, weight loss, etc. I know that will never happen here because no one would sit through it but Ive really enjoyed it. Its on the other end of the spectrum from this show. Its definitely not too short.

14. laria

laria Librocubicularist

Sep 7, 2000
    Seacoast, NH
    I would in the summer, when not much else is on. :)

15. gchance

gchance 4 8 15 16 23 42

Dec 6, 2002
    Olivehurst, CA
    I totally forgot to record it! I'll pick up episodes from here on in. :)

Greg

16. laria

laria Librocubicularist

Sep 7, 2000
    Seacoast, NH
    You may want to check and see if your ABC station is rebroadcasting it on Saturday like IJLT's.

17. pops_porter

pops_porter Member

Sep 26, 2005
    Minnesota
    Watched this tonight and I thought it was okay. I agree it was rushed and am disapointed with her months 6-9! If knowing yo'ure going to be on a TV show and have a goal to meet and you still only lose 3 lbs in 3 months, I think that's crazy!

Hopefully better episodes are to come, but I thought she didn't do that much in months 6-12 in this episode.

18. laria

laria Librocubicularist

Sep 7, 2000
    Seacoast, NH
    When the first girl got her first 3 month goal right on the nose, I thought that they might be fudging it so that they could give out the prize, but I guess that is not the case after watching this week's. :)

He did fairly disappointingly in months 3-6, but really knocked it out of the park in 6-9. Both times I've been surprised though at how little they have lost after getting the skin surgery. I figure they probably can't exercise much but they can still diet and that skin has to way a decent amount.

I also had a LOL moment when he was at boot camp and said, "This isn't like Call of Duty." :)

19. IJustLikeTivo

Oct 3, 2001
    Gaithersburg...
    I watched both last night and I think it is pretty bad. Not much insight into what really happens, odd rewards, and then surgery before they're really finished. They've ended up with a half breed show that combines the biggest loser with the original extreme makeover where it was all cosmetic surgery and dental work.

20. jradosh

jradosh Newlywed

Jul 31, 2001
    Herndon,...
    yeah, I wish they'd spend more time on the exercise and nutrition changes the people are making and less on the fluff (boot camp, dad's wedding). I'm not sure how I feel about the skin surgery aspect. I recognize that it is a necessary part of their recovery, but I dislike the way they make it seem like a 'prize' for them to win.

I was touched by the plaque for his mom last night and his acceptance speech. Very genuine and heartfelt. :)