Extracting hard-coded MPEG-2 videos from raw TiVo MFS image possible?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Larsenv, Feb 28, 2021.

1. Larsenv

Larsenv Member

Jun 8, 2020
    Texas

Advertisements

So as you know, Series 1-3 (and formerly Series 4) TiVos use MPEG-2 videos for the background UI and startup videos. I want to know if anyone knows the best way to extract those from the MFS partition, so that a "clean" rip of them can be made? The graphics from the user interface would be fun to rip as well.

I was messing around with these because it's fun. I actually managed to extract a lot of the videos, but it was painstaking. What I basically did was take the WinMFS truncated images I have of the TiVos, and used a terrible Python script I made to cut out the parts of the file that start with what appears to be a MPEG-2 sequence. Then, convert all of the clips to MP4 with ffmpeg. And then filter out all the video parts that appear to be corrupted, and then merge all the remaining clips into one video. This worked best with the Series 1/Early Series 2 and Series 3 interfaces, but I couldn't get the Series 2 ones extracted nicely (but they seem to be in the Series 3 images). I couldn't get the startup videos extracted at all without being massively corrupted. File Juicer, a macOS tool, does not support MPEG-2.

Throwing the raw restore image at Mpg2Cut2 will also result in a corrupt video, but I used it as a base. VLC does the same thing, although throwing the raw restore image at that will play the startup intro audio.

Is there a way to just extract the files from the MFS partition as they are? I couldn't find any tools to do it. I couldn't even figure out if I could do it with the MFS Tools Linux image.

Here's what I got:

Series 1/Early Series 2:

Series 2 (mostly corrupted):

Series 2 DirecTV:

Series 3 (HD):

Series 4: I don't have it, as TiVo removed the startup intro and changed all instances of the TiVo logo to be the "Silhouette" type (forgot the actual name of it, would be nice if they changed it to be the brand new logo).

Thanks.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2021
  2. Larsenv

Larsenv Member

Jun 8, 2020
    Texas
    Also, did you know that, apparently, the Series 1 startup intro was made by Pittard Sullivan, and the Series 2 startup intro was made by Mondo Media?