Extracting CC's on Justified

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by dobbie1, Feb 22, 2015.

1. dobbie1

dobbie1 Member

Apr 15, 2002
    Memphis, TN
    Has anyone experienced any problems with extracting English closed captions for Justified season 6? I am using CC extractor and have not had any problems with any other shows, but with Justified I'm not sure exactly what language is being extracted. Closed captions are ok when enabling and playing on TiVo.

Regards

2. reneg

reneg Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Hmmm, all my Justified season 6 closed caption extracted .SRT files are garbage. They are less than half the size of season 5 .SRT files. I didn't even notice until I saw this post. Need to poke around further.

3. reneg

reneg Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2002
    When I download Justified in transport stream format and extract the closed captions, it works correctly. When I download Justified in program stream format and extract the closed captions, the captions are garbage.

4. reneg

reneg Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2002
    I recorded Justified on three generations of Tivo's last night (Roamio, Premiere, and Tivo HD). I got the same bad results for closed captions on all three downloaded program streams from each generation of Tivo when extracting with CCextractor.

The only other item of interest was that when I used VideoRedo to save a transport stream snippet into a program stream snippet. I was able to extract the closed captions from the program stream snippet. Looking at the mediainfo for both the program stream snippets (the garbled and readable versions). The readable one had an extra block that was not in the garbled one:
    Code:
    Text #2
    ID                          : 224 (0xE0)-1
    Format                      : EIA-708
    Muxing mode                 : A/53 / DTVCC Transport
    Muxing mode, more info      : Muxed in Video #1
    Bit rate mode               : Constant
    Stream size                 : 0.00 Byte (0%)
    Not sure what this tells me, but with only a few more episodes of Justified to go, I'll just download the remaining episodes in transport stream format.

5. dobbie1

dobbie1 Member

Apr 15, 2002
    Memphis, TN
    I will try some different options and see what results I get. Played around with different settings in CC extract and no luck. Thanks for the reply.

6. dobbie1

dobbie1 Member

Apr 15, 2002
    Memphis, TN
    reneg,
    You are correct, if I transfer as a "ts" file instead of standard TiVo then the file extracted CC's correctly. This worked on Justified and the last episode of "The Blacklist" which had failed for me also. It is confusing that some of the shows from other networks, eg. CBS and ABC (Castle and NCIS) work just fine with standard transfer.

Thanks for you input. I would have never thought about trying the "ts" transfer.

7. robojerk

robojerk Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Laguna Hills CA
    Trying to compile ccextractor on linux, getting an error when make... Any help?

Attached Files:

8. elmeng

elmeng Member

Mar 7, 2009
    Under the File/configuration/program menu the line for the ccextractor I have /Applications/ccextractor.0.79/Mac/build.command. When I click OK, it comes up as 1 error(s). What should I have for the program?