extra lifetime, needs a home

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by kensteele, Jan 10, 2012.

1. kensteele

kensteele Member

Dec 28, 2002
    Overland...
    Recently been enjoying my Premiere with lifetime (currently the only working Tivo I own) when I remembered I have an old broken Tivo HD box with lifetime service that has been sitting around for a couple of years.

Is it worth something, can I sell it or transfer it to someone who would fix the box themselves? Tivo HD has a minor probem (the harddrive or won't power-up) but I don't need more than 1 Tivo and I would rather not pay to repair it....looking for suggestions on the best way to dispose of it.

Thanks.

2. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    If that TivoHD has lifetime service, it's worth something, even if the new owner has to transfer the cyrpto chip to another motherboard, IMO.
    Ownership can be transferred. If you offer it for sale, be sure to disclose that it does not work.
    Don't be surprised if you get some PM's offering to take it off your hands.:p

3. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Well, the best way to dispose of it is for me to pay the costs of mailing it to me.:D

Seriously, I've already resucitated one HD and kept it out of the landfill.

4. kensteele

kensteele Member

Dec 28, 2002
    Overland...
    Ok thanks i didnt realize lifetime could move to another box. Sitill that is not an option for me since I can only use one tivo. Most definitely would disclose unit is stuck on powering up but after reading several threads here on remedies, im sure somehere here has the tools to get past that right away.

5. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Moving lifetime by moving the crypto chip went from impractical, but possible*, to "fuggedaboudit" after the original Series 3, the TCD648250.

Beginning with the second of the S3 platform, the S3 HD, the TCD652160, the crypto chip ceased to be a separate SMD (surface mount device) chip and the TSN (TiVo Service Number, the number to which the subscription is attached) was incorporated into one of the main chips which can only be removed and replaced pretty much at the factory where they have hideously expensive specialized equipment.

*I managed to do it, just barely successfully, on a Series 2 to save 2TB worth of recordings, but I wouldn't wish having to do it on anyone.

I'm betting, or willing to bet the cost of postage, that the problem with your HD is either the drive or the power supply or both, which is within my capabilities.

6. lillevig

lillevig Cold in East Iowa

Dec 6, 2010
    Marion, Iowa
    I assume that the hard drive has never been changed. Is that correct? The box would be worth about $300 on eBay in working condition. How much time/money would you be willing to invest to fix it? Would you feel comfortable opening the box?

7. kensteele

kensteele Member

Dec 28, 2002
    Overland...
    The hard drive has never been changed. I have changed and upgraded series 2 hard drives in the past but to be honest, i would prefer not to bother with this box since I really only need one tivo lifetime service, not two. I love my Premiere but was never really excited with series 1, 2, and 3. I will check on ebay thx.

8. lillevig

Dec 6, 2010
    Marion, Iowa
    I was asking mostly because it might be worth your while to at least try a replacement hard drive if you have a 160GB or larger lying around (or can borrow one). Might be a cheap fix that could net you some bucks. If you want to try that, I can send you images for both MFSTools and WinMFS.

9. kensteele

kensteele Member

Dec 28, 2002
    Overland...
    I have TCD648250B.

After doing some checking, I decided that I should at least try to fix the problem so I don't have to label the Tivo as broken/for parts only. I actually have an extra Seagate 160GB drive so if it would help yes please send the images.

After checking an old email from last year, I see that I described my problem as getting an S03 error during setup. I recall trying a bunch of codes to no avail, that's when I gave up and bought a premiere in the spring. However, I will try to resolve this...there appears to be a fair amount info on this forum I haven't yet tried.

Thanks.

10. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    A TCD648250 requires a 250GB or larger drive to restore an image onto.

The HD, the TCD652160, is the one that used a 160GB drive stock.

11. magnus

magnus Tivo User

Nov 12, 2004
    Texas
    It's been my experience that this will fix it. No new drive required.
    http://tbj.me/s03Tivo

12. lillevig

Dec 6, 2010
    Marion, Iowa
    The images I have are for the S3HD which is how you originally described it. I don't have an image for the original S3 which does require a 250GB or larger drive, not the 160GB that is in the S3HD.