external storage drawbacks?

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by davidg716, Jan 23, 2015.

1. davidg716

davidg716 Member

Jan 20, 2015

Advertisements

I have a Western digital external hard drive with ESATA that I am not using for anything. Will any ESATA drive work with the roamio? Are there any drawbacks to adding external storage?

2. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Only if it stops working. You then lose everything on it. It's not a standalone item - it needs internal data of the Roamio to function. No swapping back and forth. I archive to my PC using Desktop which saves to an external USB 1TB drive that is not subject to this restriction.

3. bradleys

bradleys It'll be fine....

Oct 31, 2007
    YES!

When you add external storage it stripes the content across both your internal and external drives. If you loose either drive you loose all content on both drives.

I had an external drive setup several years ago and the marriage got corrupted, the only thing I could do was divorce the drives and I lost everything.

Way too much can go wrong under that setup.

I rarely say anything like this, but: I WOULD STAY AS FAR AWAY AS POSSIBLE FROM EXTERNAL CONNECTED STORAGE.

Now, if you want to set the drive up a Lan drive and MRV content to it for long term storage that is pretty safe and works pretty well with either PyTiVo or the old TiVo desktop utilities.

4. davidg716

davidg716 Member

Jan 20, 2015
    Ok, I wont mess with it! Thanks!!!

5. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada

Advertisements

I had an eSATA connected to my S3 unit for many years and it never failed. In fact I still have the drive. But since I have a Roamio Pro with 3TB of storage I don't actually need it anymore.

6. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    Only certain WD drives would work anyhow. If it did not list tivo applicability, then it would not work.

7. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I got the WD My Book AV Extender from TiVo and it failed after a month. It only has to fail once.

8. philt56

philt56 Member

Aug 21, 2008
    I've had 2 WD external drives fail. One tivo and one for a pc. The drive itself was fine but the board inside that provides the esata interface failed.

9. PCurry57

PCurry57 Liberal Hippie Chick

Feb 27, 2012
    Dallas, TX
    I've had two WD My DVR expanded on my two Premieres for a couple of years now no issues at all. You got A bad unit it happens that sometimes drives fail this is true of the drive inside your TiVo also. That doesn't mean that they are all bad, always an error waiting to happen.

10. joewom

joewom Member

Dec 10, 2013
    External drives have a higher failure rate. It's. It usually the drive but the case itself. I have so many drives from external cases that work fine once removed from a bad case.

11. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    That's usually the case with USB drives not eSATA. USB drives require a bridge chip to convert from USB to SATA, eSATA drives are basically just connecting directly to the drive. Although the poeersupply can still be an issue, but you can usually get one for under $10 to replace it.