External Drive Won't Set-up

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by Emacee, May 28, 2011.

1. Emacee

Emacee Member

Dec 15, 2000
    Philadelphia...
    I have replaced the internal drive on my Tivo Series 3 with a 1TB replacement drive. The new drive seems to be working fine.
    Before this I had a 500GB Western Digital external drive attached. Before upgrading the internal drive, I removed all program information from the system and divorced Tivo from the external drive.
    Now, Tivo recognizes the external drive (the serial number appears in settings) but I keep getting an error message: Tivo has detected that an external storage device is attached. You need to set up the device to increase the recording capacity of your DVR.
    I click "yes" and the system reboots but then I get the same message that the external device needs to be set up. (If select "skip," I keep getting the same message.)
    From looking at earlier postings, with a total of 1TB + 500GB, I should be able to use both the internal and external drives.
    Is there anything I can do to get the external drive "married" to the system with my new internal drive?

2. Thom

Thom Unemployed and loving it !

Jun 5, 2000
    Southern Calif.
    Only a internal drive with factory default partitions can automatically marry an external drive. If you expanded your new 1 TB internal drive to use the extra space, you will get the symptoms you are experiencing. You can use MFSADD and other tools to manually add the external drive to your setup.