External Drive Help

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by rmstone, Mar 9, 2008.

1. rmstone

rmstone New Member

Oct 13, 2007

Advertisements

I'm stuck, and need assistance.

I have a TivoHD, and bought a Seagate 750Gb ST3750840SCE, and the antec mx1 enclosure.

I've opened up my THD, but HOW am i supposed to connect both Tivo Drives (new external and existing internal) to my PC??

My PC is a fairly crappy 2 year old HP with Sata Drive, but there are not any extra power cables, and I have NO extra sata cables. Am i going to have to slave one of these drives? how do I have all three hard drives connected at once?

"Turn off your computer and connect your internal SATA drive and the new external SATA drive. You can open your computer and connect both with SATA cables, or you can connect them both externally using a pair of SATA->USB adapters. If you are connecting a retail eSATA drive to the SATA port on your PC, you will also need a SATA -> eSATA cable such as the SIIG CB-SA0311-S1 (Buy.com, TheNerds.net, or ProVantage.com) or the PPA Int'l 3848 (Newegg.com)."

To me this seems vague, but so many of you have done this successfully, what am I missing?

2. DaveDFW

DaveDFW Member

Jan 25, 2005
    Richardson, TX
    I used one sata-to-usb converter (to attach Tivo's internal drive to my laptop), and the built-in usb connector on the back of the MX-1.

That only required two open usb ports on my laptop for winmfs to see both drives simultaneously.

Thanks,
    David