Extended Warranty - applies to Lifetime or not?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by igirl, Dec 11, 2012.

1. igirl

igirl Member

Feb 5, 2011
    NorCal
    I bought a new Premiere 4 from an online retailer - then when it arrived I added the Extended 3 year Warranty plus Lifetime Service - in one other purchase on Tivo.com (because only 90 days hardware is just plain SCARY bad) - but nowhere does it say this covers the "Lifetime" part of the box.

It's very vague - or deliberately missing.

I'm just wondering if I've been duped - and this only covers the hardware - and the "Lifetime" part is considered software that you lose if your box crashes and burns.

I would never otherwise pay $40 for a 3 year warranty on a hardware box that only cost $200. Plus having owned many Tivos, I've never had one die.

Rather than assumptions and guesses - can anyone in authority speak to this?

2. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    If the TiVo is replaced under an extended warranty then TiVo will transfer lifetime to the new box once. That applies to their own warranty or an in store warranty. After that one time transfer your SOL. I think the TiVo warranty is a one time use anyway, so they go hand in hand. But some in store warranties will replace the box multiple times, so in that case TiVo does the transfer once and that's it.

Dan

3. CoxInPHX

CoxInPHX COX Communications

Jan 14, 2011
    Phoenix, AZ
    That is my understanding also and has been told to me by someone at TiVo over the phone,

But, nowhere I can find in writing on the TiVo website does it specifically states that Lifetime service will be transferred or honored on an extended warrantied box. The actual Warranty I was emailed also does not specify anything about Lifetime service.

4. Arcady

Arcady Stargate Fan

Oct 14, 2004
    Philadelphia...
    Here's the link on TiVo's site:
    http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/20

The relevant part says:

5. CoxInPHX

CoxInPHX COX Communications

Jan 14, 2011
    Phoenix, AZ
    Thanks good to know it is in writing, TiVo should really put that at least on the extended warranty documents, if not in the description of Lifetime service.

6. jcthorne

jcthorne Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2002
    Houston
    Tivo will also 'usually' transfer the lifetime sub to a replacement box if the defective unit is returned to tivo for out of warranty 'repair'

They do not acutally repair your unit, they ship you a pre activated refurb. They will not do this as part of any upgrade.

There is nothing in writing that says they have to, but they have for many years.

Also, the highest incidence of repair for a tivo is the hard drive. Usually cheaper to buy a replacment drive 'plug n play' from one of the known vendors than to have tivo exchange the box. Can upgrade capacity at the same time if desired.

The next most likely failur mode is the power supply. Also readily available for less than cost of repair and easy to replace.

Failure of the logic board is very rare outside of infant mortality.

7. igirl

igirl Member

Feb 5, 2011
    NorCal
    OK, thanks - that's kind of what I was thinking. Interesting that if your Tivo dies in 4 months and you get a replacement - you are screwed if that one breaks. So it's not really 3 years - if you actually need it more than once.

And you're only allowed a one time possible box to box transfer of Lifetime licensing too.

Again - never had a problem with any Tivo box - so here's hoping that trend continues!

8. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    They only do that if the box is less then 3 years old. If it's more then 3 years old then they charge $199 to transfer the lifetime to the "repaired" box.

Dan

9. jcthorne

jcthorne Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2002
    Houston
    Good to know. I have never in the 12 years I have used Tivos around our home done a Tivo out of warranty repair. Replaced a couple hard drives but that was it.

Sold every prior box no longer used for at least the cost of the lifetime sub. IE cost to own and use tivo is only the hardware cost, no subscription cost and very low incidence of repair.

That said, I have likely jinx myself and one of my Tivo's will fail a spectacular death this evening.....

10. videobruce

videobruce OTA is still alive

Nov 30, 2012
    Buffalo NY
    How about buying a used TiVo w/ lifetime and the unit takes a dive. How does that work with the subscription xfer to another used unit with no lifetime?

Other than the HDD failing and possibly the power supply, how common are main-board failures on any of these? Lastly, if a PS does die, can you get a replacement without sending the whole DVR in?

11. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    In the past, if your Tivo was on a monthly subscription, you could go to your TiVo account online and simply swap the TSN from the broken unit to the working unit.
    [​IMG]

Lifetime sub transfers required you sending your box back to Tivo for replacement, along with a modest fee if the box was out of warranty.

I don't think the above applies to the Series 4 platform Tivos.
    TiVo has different rules for the Premiere line.

Motherboard failure is exceedingly rare compared to the ratio of HD or PS failures. I think I've read of 1 (maybe 2) instances of MB failure in my time here.

You can get replacement power supplies @ weaKnees.

Attached Files:

12. videobruce

Nov 30, 2012
    Buffalo NY
    Any idea why??

13. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
  14. Akatraypa

Akatraypa New Member

Oct 24, 2012
    Has anyone had experience with the Best Buy extended warranty? I got my warranty from them because it was cheaper and covered 4 years instead of three.

15. AZrob

AZrob Member

Mar 31, 2002
    Phoenix, AZ
    They are great...I have replaced two Tivo's for free by using them, and it basically amounted to a free upgrade each time to the latest Tivo, since the original model was no longer available.

I wish they were selling them now...I don't see it being offered right now for the Tivo XL4.

Rob from AZ

16. oregonman

oregonman Member

Jul 1, 2002
    Portland OR
    I think that you can buy a Tivo extended warranty on the replacement Tivo. I know that a while back, I got a replacement Tivo under the original warranty and I was able to buy an extended warranty on the replacement box. Wouldn't the lifetime transfer then be covered under the new extended warranty?

17. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    I wonder why they don't have the extended warranty any more for the XL4? I got the four year extended warranty from BestBuy when I got both of my Elites. Although not as good a deal as the four year warranty they offer on the two Tuner Premiere.

18. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Maybe, but I've never seen anyone confirm this.

Dam

19. videobruce

Nov 30, 2012
    Buffalo NY
    Can you but a extended warrenty from a third outside party; Square Trade for example?

20. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Yes and with proper documentation TiVo will transfer lifetime to a replacement unit once.

Dan