1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Extend the buffer?

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by gfretwell, Jul 3, 2018.

1. gfretwell

gfretwell ReplayTV refugee

Jul 9, 2016
    SW Florida
    On a TIVO Roamio OTA is there any way to extend the amount of time my OTA saves in the buffer while watching live. It seems to be 30 minutes max. I don't see any set up optiion to change.

2. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    There is not. However, the 30 minutes is for trick play. If you decide to record the channel you are watching the amount saved is dependent on the channel's bit-rate.

sharkster likes this.
  3. John Gillespie

John Gillespie Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2016
    Cycle the buffers and extend the perimeter!

PSU_Sudzi likes this.
  4. sharkster

sharkster Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jul 3, 2004
    NV
    Ohhhh! That explains a lot. One day, a week or so ago, there was something on that I noticed about 45 minutes into the hour-long program, so I only had a buffer up to 15 minutes after it began. Never mind that, my husband came home and I decided to just record the rest and watch it later.

When I went to the show I saw 1hr and was quite confused as to how it managed to record behind the buffer.

Thanks, Joe. Now I can let that mystery go out of my already too crowded old brain. :D

Mikeguy likes this.
  5. kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    There used to be a 'back door' hack that could be entered to extend the buffer, but I haven't heard about it in a long time...

-KP

6. PSU_Sudzi

PSU_Sudzi Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Philly suburbs
    Hmm, I don’t recall seeing that in the threads about buffer length before. Would sure be nice to me, my Moxi DVR had about a 90 minute buffer—3, 2, 1—cue commenter scolding me for not using my TiVo correctly.

7. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    However meets your needs is the correct way. :)

rpiotro, PSU_Sudzi and NorthAlabama like this.