explain wired adaptor to me please

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by catlvr4, Dec 29, 2005.

1. catlvr4

catlvr4 New Member

Sep 26, 2005
    I went to circuit city today to look a wiress router [so that we can hook up our new mac wirelessly] and was looking a the adaptors to hook up the tivo. i am seeing a lot of people having problems w/ the tivo's not recognizing the wireless adaptors. i saw somebody mention the wired adaptors, what all do i need w/ this??? i saw the usb wired adaptor at CC , but don't know how to go about hooking it up.
    any help, non techno, please would be appreciated.
    thanks

2. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    The wired adapter just converts the USB output of the TiVo to an ethernet connection for a wired network.

3. no-blue-screen

no-blue-screen New Member

Feb 14, 2005
    Laurel, MD
    This all depends on how close your router is going to be to where your TiVo is. If they are really close, then all you need is the USB adaptor and a short ethernet patch cable. If there is a good amount of distance (e.g. too far to run a wire across the floor), then you should consider buying a wireless adaptor. The only other option would be to get a wireless ethernet bridge, but that is more expensive and is usually only feasible if you have more than one wired device to plug in at that location. Good luck.

4. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    If you think that running an ethernet cable is cheaper than the extra cost of a wireless adapter, you could do that, if your router is elsewhere in the house.

5. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets TCF Bookie

Jul 12, 2005
    East Hell
    I've got my 50 foot ethernet cable running to my Tivo, works like a charm...
    Got my cable from newegg.com and my adapter from ebay...it was all cheap...
    Wired just gets you faster transfer rates...
    All you need to do is plug the adapter into one of the USB ports on the back of your Tivo and have a method for running ethernet cable from your router out to your Tivo..."easy-peasy, lemon squeezy"...

6. nickgiordano

nickgiordano New Member

Dec 30, 2005
    i have a question about this, i have a wired network, i use a 4 port linksys router to network my cable modem to 2 computers. I want to connect to the tivo(i have a series 2 40h). I have a iie1394 (or iee-1394) port in my computers for faster transfers, can I use this or do i need to use ethernet cables? if i need ethernet cables, can I just plug them in the back of my computer? (it has extra ethernet ports for networking ...

7. crowfan

crowfan The Dude abides

Dec 27, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    You would need to run an ethernet cable between your router and your TiVo. Plug one end into an unused port on your router. Then you connect the other end to your TiVo using a USB-to-ethernet adaptor.

8. Jan 3, 2006 #8 of 11
    catlvr4

catlvr4 New Member

Sep 26, 2005
    In other words, it would be like hookiing up my Non wireless computer to the router, just w/ a longer cord?? might look into that. 'thanks

9. Jan 4, 2006 #9 of 11
    lgondelman

lgondelman New Member

Apr 2, 2002
    What about the wired adapter that Tivo sells? Would that work in a similar way? Just plug the wired adapter into a USB port on my laptop, and then an ethernet to USB cable from that into the back of the Tivo?

10. audiocrawford

audiocrawford New Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Same here, but the router is at the TV and the 50-foot cable is running to the PC's in the office, as it just made more sense to keep the cable internet at the point of entry by the TV.

That way, I have NONE of the wireless security issues that generate so very many posts here, never have to worry about signal strenth, etc., etc. Even if you have to drill a hole or two, it's still worth it IMHO to do wired if at all possible.

Just saves so many headaches. Took me about 20 minutes to hide the cable effectively, and no one ever even notices it unless I point it out to them. I know that's not possible for everyone, but if it is at all - it's been plug-n-play since I hooked it up, and the TiVo has been perfect ever since.

AC

11. lgondelman

lgondelman New Member

Apr 2, 2002
    So is that a yes or a no?