Explain Mini, Please?

Discussion in 'TiVo Mini' started by Hot4Bo, Nov 19, 2015.

1. Nov 19, 2015 #1 of 116
    Hot4Bo

Hot4Bo Finally an Avatar! TCF Club

Apr 3, 2003
    South Florida

Advertisements

I currently have a 4-Tuner Roamio with a Comcast cable card in my living room, which is connected wirelessly to my router in my office.

In my office, I have a small, old TV with a Comcast cable box attached (no DVR). I really only watch live TV when I'm in there since that's all I have. I find I really miss the "trick" features like pausing and rewinding and I'd probably occasionally want to watch a recorded show.

I don't really need more tuners to record so I am guessing that what would help would be a Mini. I have done some reading on this but I do have a few questions though:

1. Do I connect it wirelessly to my router, which is across the room? I'd prefer no wires but I can run them if I have to.

2. Does it connect wirelessly to my Roamio?

3. Does it ALWAYS have control of one of the four tuners in my Roamio? What if four things are scheduled to record? Can I still just watch live TV in my office if the Roamio is using all four tuners?

I might have other questions but this is a good start. Thanks!!!

2. Nov 19, 2015 #2 of 116
    mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    1. No
    2. No
    3. No, No, No, but you could watch any of the 4 things being recorded or any other recording. This would only be an instant behind live.

Since you apparently have coax in each room, you need to connect your Roamio and Mini via Moca. You'll have to buy one Moca adapter to make this work, but no additional wiring is required.

3. Nov 19, 2015 #3 of 116
    tarheelblue32

tarheelblue32 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2014
    Raleigh, NC
    Actually, he'll probably need 2 MoCA adapters, 1 at the 4-tuner Roamio and 1 at the router. TiVo sells a 2-pack of MoCA adapters on their website for $90.

4. Nov 19, 2015 #4 of 116
    fcfc2

fcfc2 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    Hi,
    If you need 2 adapters, Meritline has a pair of MoCA 1.1 adapters on sale right now for $50. These work fine but they are not MoCA certified meaning there is no configuration utility to set either encryption or manual channel selection. They will detect and use whatever channel is being used on your Tivos and for the price do a comparable job to the more expensive units.
    http://www.meritline.com/mygica-coma-cable-kit---p-68646.aspx

5. Nov 19, 2015 #5 of 116
    krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003

Advertisements

... don't forget the MoCA filter for your home's cable point-of-entry (PoE)! (also available from TiVo.com, and elsewhere; likely free from your cable provider, if pushed)

---

More background/info...

Last edited: Nov 27, 2015
  6. Nov 19, 2015 #6 of 116
    dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    You already said you could connect the mini to your router via wired ethernet. Is there any way you could connect the Roamio via wired ethernet? Sure would be nice to avoid buying moca adapters and POE filters.

<CRASS BRAGGING>When we had our home built 16 years ago I had four one inch plastic pipes installed -- two from basement to first floor, and two from basement to 2nd floor -- additional cost: $75. Some of the best money I've ever spent!</CRASS BRAGGING>

7. Nov 19, 2015 #7 of 116
    Saturn_V

Saturn_V Now with flavor!

Jun 1, 2007
    Oklahoma...
    Has anyone attempted using Mini with Powerline Ethernet adapters? My gut says it's probably not viable, but I had to ask.

8. Nov 19, 2015 #8 of 116
    JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    It has been done with some success and some not so much. I can speculate it might be related to your wiring. There are 61 threads in this forum with "powerline" in them.

9. Nov 19, 2015 #9 of 116
    Hot4Bo

Apr 3, 2003
    South Florida
    No, it's really not possible here.

10. Nov 19, 2015 #10 of 116
    Hot4Bo

Apr 3, 2003
    South Florida
    Thanks, all. I'll have to read about what moca is. I guess I now have more questions than I started with.

11. Nov 19, 2015 #11 of 116
    tarheelblue32

Jan 12, 2014
    Raleigh, NC
    MoCA is really a very simple networking standard. It works over the coax cable already in your home at higher frequencies than the cable company signal uses, so they can coexist together without causing any interference with each other. The Mini actually has MoCA built in, so it doesn't need any adapter. Unfortunately, the 4-tuner Roamio doesn't have MoCA built in, which is why the Roamio would need an adapter.

12. Nov 19, 2015 #12 of 116
    krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Also, imagine what you'd have to do if your router (I'm making an assumption, here) didn't have Wi-Fi built-in. You'd have to install a separate wireless access point and connect it to your router so that your Wi-Fi phones, tablets, laptops, etc could talk to and through your router to the Internet.

Well, same goes for MoCA. If your Internet gateway device (combo modem/router) doesn't have MoCA as a feature (and few do!), you'll need to add a separate device to act as the "access point" for MoCA networking, to bridge your MoCA device traffic over to your router's Ethernet LAN ports. So that's the other MoCA adapter you need to buy, the MoCA adapter that acts as the bridge between your MoCA/coax network devices and your router.

13. Nov 20, 2015 #13 of 116
    Hot4Bo

Apr 3, 2003
    South Florida
    OK, in reading all of this and elsewhere plus a conversation with a friend, I have a few more questions:

1. If I'm understanding this correctly, it seems that I need MoCa adapters at my Roamio (because it is a 4-tuner and doesn't have it built-in like the 6-tuner) and also at my router (not sure if there or at the Mini?).

2. I lose the ability to watch live TV on the TV in my office with the Mini on it if all 4 tuners on the Roamio are busy recording. That's very rare in my house but is it true?

3. I guess related to question #2 - What happens to the cable box on that TV? Does it go away altogether? Does the Mini take its place and is only an extension of the Roamio and not a viable TV on its own anymore?

14. Nov 20, 2015 #14 of 116
    mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    1. Yes, one at the Roamio and another at your router (or some switch that ultimately connects to it). The idea is one needs to be connected to both your coax and your router.

2. Techinically yes. But you can watch any of the 4 things the Roamio is recording. So while not live, only a few milliseconds behind live.

3. You don't need any cable boxes anymore. But you could keep one if you think live tv with all 4 tuners in use is going to be an issue. It won't do any harm. I personally wouldn't want to pay for any cable boxes if I had Tivo. The Mini is a viable TV as long as one tuner is free. And it can watch any recording and all streaming services (Netflix, etc.) when all tuners are busy.

15. Nov 20, 2015 #15 of 116
    Hot4Bo

Apr 3, 2003
    South Florida
    I don't pay for the cable box. It's part of the HOA fees that my landlord pays.

Are you saying that if I keep the cable box attached, I can still watch live TV on the TV that is connected to the Mini?

16. Nov 20, 2015 #16 of 116
    tarheelblue32

Jan 12, 2014
    Raleigh, NC
    Yeah you could use a 2-way splitter there and keep the cable box connected to that TV at the same time the Mini is connected to it. If all 4 tuners on the Roamio are busy, you also have the option to cancel a recording to free up a tuner to use for live TV on the Mini.

17. Nov 20, 2015 #17 of 116
    Hot4Bo

Apr 3, 2003
    South Florida
    OK, I think I have it now:

1. MoCa adapter between the router and the Mini. (Or maybe a splitter then to the Mini - other part of the splitter to the cable box since it's free anyway)

2. 2nd MoCa adapter connected to the Roamio.

I'm sorry to be so dense about this but I can't seem to completely wrap my head around it.

Bonus really stupid question: I understand that the MoCa is because you can't use wireless between the Roamio and the Mini but isn't MoCa itself wireless? Or am I still misunderstanding this?

18. Nov 20, 2015 #18 of 116
    JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    MoCA shares the cable wire, like the way my cable TV shares the wire with my internet.

19. Nov 20, 2015 #19 of 116
    Hot4Bo

Apr 3, 2003
    South Florida
    Ohhhhh, I think I get that now. I should have gotten that way earlier today. I knew it was a really stupid question.

20. Nov 20, 2015 #20 of 116
    JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    No stupid questions. Perhaps some stupid answers, but not on purpose. :)