expanding the storage

Discussion in 'TiVo Stream 4K' started by sergeant86, Jun 26, 2020.

1. sergeant86

sergeant86 New Member

Jun 1, 2020

Advertisements

Hi all,I am trying to expand my Tivo stick's storage. I have followed all the instructions to a tee. Everything works great till after I format the flash drive. When I click on the storage it only shows the internal drive storage and the flash drive always says that it was ejected. What is the fix to this?

2. Alex_7

Alex_7 Active Member

Jun 24, 2020
    what type of external drive are you using? SD card/USB flash drive?
    size of storage in GB?

3. sergeant86

sergeant86 New Member

Jun 1, 2020
    I successfully initially format my 32 gb Sandisk flash drive(new)

4. Alex_7

Alex_7 Active Member

Jun 24, 2020
    Have you tried restarting your tivo device after formatting?

5. sergeant86

sergeant86 New Member

Jun 1, 2020

Advertisements

Yes

6. Alex_7

Alex_7 Active Member

Jun 24, 2020
    I've heard the tivo stream just doesn't like some flash drives, you might need to test another one

7. sergeant86

sergeant86 New Member

Jun 1, 2020
    Thanks everybody. I figured it out. You need to format the flash drive as a removable storage. I had not

8. Alex_7

Alex_7 Active Member

Jun 24, 2020
    I was having the same formatting issues as you with my new Sandisk flash drive. Found out the issue was my drive was read only. Checked it out on my pc, it had write protection enabled so the drive was useless. I think it arrived defective.

9. Jul 7, 2020 #9 of 17
    Lenonn

Lenonn Member TCF Club

May 30, 2004
    I just used the recommended combo (from this forum): SanDisk Ultra Flair USB 3.0 Flash Drive and Syntech USB C to USB Adapter - the only difference was I got a 128GB drive. Unfortunately, I ran into the same problem as Alex_7. Plugged the drive into a few Windows PCs after formatting but Windows Explorer doesn’t show the device. It DOES appear in Device Manager but there doesn’t seem to be a way to reformat the drive in Windows or TiVo Stream 4K.

10. Alex_7

Alex_7 Active Member

Jun 24, 2020
    It sucks! only solution was to return the defective drive and order a new one.

11. Lenonn

Lenonn Member TCF Club

May 30, 2004
    What is the proper procedure for formatting a USB drive for the 4K?

For the SanDisk that ended up not working, I plugged it into the 4K, went to the notification that popped up and told it to format it (it gave no options). It took a long time after which I got the ejected disk message.

12. Alex_7

Alex_7 Active Member

Jun 24, 2020
    If it works like its supposed to you would get a notification saying something like "USB flash drive inserted/detected" then it prompts you to format device as internal storage. You can ignore the formatting if you just want to use your drive as removable storage. But if you want to use your drive as internal storage you go ahead and click format for internal storage. Your device needs to be FAT32 format to work. Once the tivo stream successfully formats your drive it asks you if you want to move your apps and data to your external drive.

If you are not receiving any of these messages, the tivo stream is not recognizing or accepting your inserted drive.

13. vurbano

vurbano Member

Apr 20, 2004
    I have successfuly formatted 4 sandisk 128Gb cruiser glides with the 4K, The 4K uses ExFAT and supports files over 2GB in size.

Alex_7 likes this.
  14. Lenonn

Lenonn Member TCF Club

May 30, 2004
    Is formatting the drive as Internal Storage necessary to transfer apps onto it? Also, I’ve been poking around but don’t see where to go (menu-wise) to transfer an app to the flash drive.

15. Alex_7

Alex_7 Active Member

Jun 24, 2020
    yes, formatting is necessary to transfer apps to your external drive.
    Go to “apps” in your settings select your desired app, you will see “storage used” then select your external drive to transfer your app.

16. vurbano

vurbano Member

Apr 20, 2004
    i dont think so. I think you can format as external and transfer apps but some are slow to run, some need permissions set etc. with how small the working storage devices are I just format my 128gb flash drives as internal.

17. Lenonn

Lenonn Member TCF Club

May 30, 2004
    The Stream hosed my PNY drive. It read okay, but after the formatting it ended up doing the infinite “ejected drive” situation.