Expanding an expanded TiVo

Discussion in 'TiVo Upgrade Center' started by acertain, Oct 5, 2007.

1. acertain

acertain New Member

Aug 9, 2006

Advertisements

So I tried upgrading my already-upgraded TiVo and discovered what apparently many people have already discovered: it doesn't work. I understand now that I don't have any partitions left, and mfslive's restore command doesn't have the right stuff to get around this. I also understand that WinMFS does have this capability; however, I don't have a windows desktop machine.

I think these are my options are to get a USB -> IDE adapter and run WinMFS on my laptop or lose my recordings and expand onto the new drive. Are there any other tools that will let me expand twice? I'm quite comfortable with Linux, command-line tools, drive partitioning, etc.

Also, am I correct that adding the new drive as additional storage also won't work with an already-expanded drive?

Sorry if this question has been answered already. I looked through the forums, but the answer seems mostly to run WinMFS.

Andrew

2. acertain

acertain New Member

Aug 9, 2006
    There's a wealth of information out there about how the various tools work and the capabilities of the TiVo kernel. Unfortunately, much of it is out-of-date and has no indication as such. I'm entering this information here in hopes that somebody else will find it useful.

As I wrote above, I had a 240004A Standalone TiVo that had been previously upgraded from a 40GB to a 160GB drive. I wanted to upgrade it again, but I couldn't because I had used up all the partitions. Instead of upgrading from a single 160GB to a single 750GB, I decided to try going from a single 160GB to a dual 160GB/750GB setup. Fortunately, I had another 160GB drive lying around, so I was able to run the following command using msflive v1.3b (9/14/2007 release):

backup -qTao - /dev/hda | restore -s 256 -xzpi - /dev/hdc /dev/hdd

I put the 750 on hdc and the 160 on hdd, as I believe that although I will not be able to expand the A drive again, I should be able to expand the B drive.

I think that had I only had the 750, I could have copied the original 160 to the 750, then added the 160 to the pair and the msflive tools would have gotten me to the same place, but I did not try that.

My understanding is that with this version of msflive, the restore command contains everything needed to go beyond 127MB of swap, and that the current (mine is up-to-date as of today -- I got the Fall Upgrade last night) version of the TiVo OS accommodates large swap and large disks with no hacks.

After executing the command and putting the two drives in my TiVo, I powered on and almost everything looks as it should be. All my old programs are there and I now have up to 1066 hrs of recording space. The only thing that changed are that some programs that used to be in KidZone are not. I'm not sure if it's from the disk upgrade, from the TiVo software update or from my mucking about with Season Passes after the upgrade to record more episodes.

Anyway, I hope this helps future upgraders (if they can find it with Google).

Andrew

3. HomeUser

HomeUser Active Member

Jan 12, 2003
    A2 Michigan
    Congratulations on your 910G TiVo.