Expanders No Longer Supported?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by eric_mcgovern, Mar 10, 2021.

1. eric_mcgovern

eric_mcgovern Member

Jan 8, 2002

Advertisements

I came across a brand new Expander (WD10000F032) and decided to connect it to my Roamio Pro. I followed all the steps, my TiVo boots and indicates "Expander Detected (M125)". If I selected "Yes, setup external storage" it pops up with "Unsupported External Storage Device".

So I hopped on to ask support - and they indicated that ALL expander support has been removed as of late last year. Is that really the case? Or is this particular expander not supported on the Roamio? Or could it be a bad cable? (Full of questions :) ).

2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Yes, due to adding more points for failures, besides, the recordings would be spread between the 2 drives. Unlike a PC where you can tell it where to store it.

Expanding the Roamio is much easier than you think. It can prepare/format up to 3TB on its own. However, you would lose access to the recorded shows already on the current drive, unless its copied over with MFSTools 3.3. At the same time, the larger drive would be expanded. So, be prepared for an overnight adventure if you go with the MFSTools route. Just swapping drives itself would take less than 1/2 hr.

3. eric_mcgovern

eric_mcgovern Member

Jan 8, 2002
    So this is interesting....I plugged it into an old Roamio Plus and it popped right up asking me to setup the drive...

4. NorthAlabama

NorthAlabama tabasco rules

Apr 19, 2012
    sweet home, al
    is each roamio running the same software version?