1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

expander

Discussion in 'TiVo Bolt DVR/Streamer' started by Kurs0010, Nov 8, 2018 at 9:39 PM.

1. Kurs0010

Kurs0010 Member

Nov 9, 2016
    Does any western digital expander work for Bolts? I found a 500 gb one for $50

2. PSU_Sudzi

PSU_Sudzi Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Philly suburbs
    No. There is only one model TiVo supports, you’ll have to google it for the precise model. I believe it’s no longer being made so you’d have to buy it used. Best bet is to replace the HD in the Bolt with a larger one.

3. Kurs0010

Kurs0010 Member

Nov 9, 2016
    Thanks! Glad I didn’t waste my money

4. DrDanQ

DrDanQ New Member

Monday
    Tivo's support page lists ten different WD hard drives that are compatible.....
    #

Drive ID via eSATA Capacity Enclosure

1 WDC WD5000AVJS-63TRA0 500GB My DVR Expander

2 WDC WD5000AVVS-63ZWB0 500GB My DVR Expander

3 WDC WD5000AVVS-63H0B1 500GB My DVR Expander

4 WDC WD10EVVS-63E1B1 1TB My DVR Expander

5 WDC WD10EVVS-63M5B0 1TB My DVR Expander

6 WDC WD10EVVS-73M5B0 1TB My Book AV Expander

7 WDC WD10EVDS-73U8B1 1TB My Book AV Expander

8 WDC WD10EURX-73FH1Y0 1TB My Book AV Expander

9 WDC WD10EURX-73C57Y0 1TB My Book AV Expander

10 WDC WD10EURX-73UY4Y0 1TB My Book AV Expander

ALL of those Drive ID's are internal drives.....and most are discontinued now.

There is a seller on Amazon that lists an external drive that they CLAIM is compatible with the Bolt. I'll get a link and post it later....

Dan

5. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    Most of those are just model variations, but honestly it's just not worth the risk when its so easy to open the box and replace the HD.

Mikeguy likes this.
  6. DrDanQ

DrDanQ New Member

Monday
    Sometime I'll have to find out just how easy it is (or isn't) to replace the built-in HD. Or is this something you have to mail in to TiVo and they do it? I've changed out many a HD on my PC over the years....or added new ones.

BTW....here is the link to the WD My Book DVR Expander that Amazon has listed. They "CLAIM" it works with the Bolt.https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001UHOR8...olid=3QB7ZK0HRRBL3&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

7. DrDanQ

DrDanQ New Member

Monday
    I've been pondering this for a while now....and even if it's easy to change out a dead HD in my TiVo Bolt....it doesn't help me salvage any "important" movies we've saved on it. They're lost. The same goes for an external HD such as the one Amazon sells. It might work but what happens when it dies? Everything is lost on it.
    Since all those "approved" Hard Drives are Western Digital's of either 500 MB or 1 TB....AND since the TiVo requires an eSATA connection from the HD to the TiVo....it seems to me that getting one of those Western Digital internal HD's in a HDD Docking station with an eSATA output would likely work. AND....the advantage of that is that many of those two drive docking stations have the ability to "Clone" another HD in the docking station. So....after a HD gets a few years old....before it can die on you....you could get a 2nd drive and clone the first one so you don't lose anything....you just keep on going. Am I out in left field with all these assumptions and suppositions?????

8. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    Left field...
    It's the firmware in the drive that makes it "blessed by Tivo"
    The expanders are a second point of failure thus doubling your chances of losing everything, opening the box and replacing the HD with the biggest you're comfortable with before even recording 1 item is what a lot of the more seasoned folks around here do.

As long as you don't go to Hydra/Mira/TE4 there are other options to back up your shows such as kmttg or pytivo, or for some folks the Netgear ReadyNAS units with Tivo hooks built-in.

9. PSU_Sudzi

PSU_Sudzi Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Philly suburbs
    It’s easy to change out the hard drive on a DVR. The trick as you noted is not to lose your shows before you do. You can transfer non copy protected shows to a PC via kmttg (search the forum here for details about it or google). You can also baxk up your channel list, thumbs up/down, one passes and wishlists.

10. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    General advice:

Do some research. Look it up on YouTube, investigate the user community apps. Don't get an expander.

fcfc2 likes this.
  11. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    The wonderful things about replacing the hard drive on a Roamio or Bolt: it's easy (just a bunch of unscrewing/screwing and sliding the top of the box off/on); and for drives 3TB and less, the box does all the formatting, etc. that is needed, automatically. :)

12. ej42137

ej42137 Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2014
    Los Angeles
    If saving your content is a requirement, why in the world would you consider an expander?

Assuming the HD in the expander is as reliable as the one in your TiVo, you would be doubling your chances for failure; and and my experience with various external HD cases suggests that it will be much less reliable then the internal HD.

Additionally, the expander cannot be backed up independently of the HD in the TiVo. After the expander is installed, recordings are by design spread to both drives, and if they are out of sync you are out of luck. So adding an expander complicates any backup scheme; you have to open the TiVo to get the internal HD and back up both drives at the same time for it to work.

An expander provides such a trivial amount of storage these days that I don't believe they provide any useful benefit. The only exception would be if you want 13 TB of storage in your TiVo, in which case Weaknees has a turnkey solution for you.