Expander compatibilty

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by frozzbite, Jun 10, 2010.

1. frozzbite

frozzbite New Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Australia

Advertisements

Are any other brands of expanders compatible with the Tivo pvr besides Tivo's own expander.
    The Good Guys have said the Western Digital one will work with my Tivo.
    Joyce Mayne have said no,only the Tivo one will work with Tivo.
    The thing that is the worry for me is that the Western Digital is about $100(but it might not work when I get it home) and the Tivo expander is between $230 and $299

2. socrplyr

socrplyr Active Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Tivo doesn't make an expander. However, they have partnered with Western Digital to have an approved one. That expander is the only one that works. It is called the Western Digital My DVR Expander and it has the Tivo logo right on the box.

At least that is how it works in the US.

3. turbobuick86

turbobuick86 Member

May 2, 2002
  4. socrplyr

socrplyr Active Member

Jul 19, 2006
    The OP is from Australia... I presume that the OP was referring to local pricing. Also, there could be issues taking the US version and attaching it to the Australian Tivo. Again, I have no idea if there would be a problem, but just to be on the safe side (as this is a possibility since in the US Tivo locks out non-WD My DVR Expanders, but may only allow codes for regional ones...). Also note that the higher price is in part due to two things: 1. Electronics I bet in Australia are more expensive generally 2. The exchange rate is a little under 1.20 Australian dollars to US dollars. I bet after shipping and everything the drive listed there would cost the OP over AUS$200.

5. turbobuick86

turbobuick86 Member

May 2, 2002

Advertisements

The model I'm using is different that the one offered by Tivo. Matter of fact, a Tivo support person said it wasn't even on the list of supported expanders. Evidently, there are other expanders out there that work perfectly that aren't on Tivo's approved list.

If Good Guys say theirs work with Tivo, buy it and take it back if it fails.

6. alexofindy

alexofindy Member

Apr 15, 2010
    This is an important issue to many of us, which has been addressed elsewhere in this forum, but to my mind is worth repeating here, in hopes of getting Tivo to change their policy.

On recent model TiVo's, including the Premiere, TiVo has designed their software so that only a Western Digital MyDVR Expansion drive will work. I believe the WD drive comes in two sizes, 500 GB and 1 TB. The WD MyDVR has an eSATA port, which many external drives don't have; eSATA is faster than other interfaces such as USB, and I'm sure that is why eSATA is required. Drives with eSATA interfaces tend to be a bit more expensive.

But there are many other eSATA drives out there, including from Western Digital. Many of these other drives have larger capacities; 2 TB is common, and 4 TB is available. But the TiVo will refuse to work with these other drives. So, you're limited to 1 TB of expansion capacity.

Further, once an expansion drive is connected to a TiVo you can't remove it and install another, or all programs recorded after it was installed will vanish. This is because once an expansion drive is installed, individual programs are split between the internal and external drive; removing the external drive erases the video.

Brands other than TiVo do seem to support larger drives, for example Moxi.

There are good reasons why tivo needs to limit the ability to connect other drives; there are more compatibility issues than one might think, particularly with the modern power saving "green" features on many drives. And the external drive will have to be formatted with the appropriate file system TiVo needs.

But that said, TiVo is much too restrictive, and is more restrictive than their competition. They really should allow larger capacity external drives if they are to remain competitive. Those who agree can use the online feature request form on the TiVo web site to politely let the company know their feelings:
    http-colon-slash-slash research.tivo.com/suggestions/2web519.htm
    (sorry, I'm not allowed to post links on the forum yet!)

7. frozzbite

frozzbite New Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Australia
    G'day alexofindy,.,Thanks for the comprehensive reply,.,cheers.