Expanded TiVo HD vs Tivo HD XL

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by Alphi, Aug 17, 2009.

1. Alphi

Alphi Member

Dec 11, 2004
    Grand...

Advertisements

Okay, I pulled the trigger and ordered my TiVo HD today (with the intention of expanding it myself by replacing the internal drive with a 1TB one when it gets full).

But it made me wonder: when I upgrade my TiVo HD to have a 1TB drive instead, and assuming I buy a replacement remote (the glo one that comes with the XL), will I effectively have a TiVo HD XL?

What's different between an expanded (internally) HD + glo remote and a stock HD XL?

2. bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
    Aside from the warranty, you'll lose the "plug and play" external drive support. When you upgrade the internal drive on a TiVo, "plug and play" external storage no longer works.

3. newskilz

newskilz New Member

Jul 11, 2008
    Technically, at that point, more than likely nothing different except the THX certification. And yes, the "plug and play" external drive will no longer work, but you've already opened the case, so fixing the drive to accept an external drive is not a big deal (from what I've been reading on this forum and other places). I however do not know those details about using an external drive on "hacked hard drive", I just know it's being done.

4. richsadams

richsadams Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2003
  5. Alphi

Alphi Member

Dec 11, 2004
    Grand...

Advertisements

Yes, I have every intention of taking advantage of all the info in that article when it comes time to upgrade... And I suspect that with only 20 hours of HD content fitting on the thing, that will happen sooner rather than later.

6. pilotbob

pilotbob New Member

Nov 8, 2007
    Florida
    IF the price is the same or close to the same, I would just get the XL. Granted, opening and upgrading the hard drive is pretty simple. But, you are loosing warranty (perhaps, some claim they put the orig hd back in and have gotten replacement units)

BOb

7. lew

lew Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2002
    Most posters seem to want a Harmony remote. The OP is planning on purchasing a tivo Glo remote $40-$50. It'll cost $250 if the OP wants to purchase a drive ready to drop in from DVRUpgrade. It'll probably cost almost $125-$150 if the OP wants to purchase an AV drive and also needs to purchase a USB-SATA adapter. The Tivo HDXL comes with a HDMI cable Probably at least a $10 value. You can buy a cable from monoprice but shipping will up the price to close to $10.

The OP needs to price it out but having a valid warranty might be worth the extra money.

8. vurbano

vurbano Member

Apr 20, 2004
    IMO the best remote, and they are available still brand new for 15 dollars, is the old Directv HDtivo HR10-250 remote. I have 2 of them and use them with the TivoHD units. I love the dedicated "List" and "exit" buttons. I have a harmony remote but still like the old one.

9. vurbano

vurbano Member

Apr 20, 2004
    It really isnt worth it considering a refurb can be had for 199 from Tivo and those have a warranty too. Infact if I had thought about it more I might have started with a couple of refurbs. The OP can outfit a refurb with a 1 TB drive and be at 300 dollars with what is essentially a TivoHD XL.

10. Alphi

Alphi Member

Dec 11, 2004
    Grand...
    That's the thing - we're talking about spending $300 more to get the XL over the HD, or spending $100 in hardware later to upgrade the HD to the same capacity of the XL.

Yes, I do understand that I'd be voiding my warrantee (and that's assuming that what we've heard about just putting the original drive back in and sending it in anyway isn't true).

But at the same time, I understand that more often than not, when a TiVo fails, it's the hard drive failing. And if I upgrade to a larger drive, and save the original, should the new hard drive fail, I could easily either put the original back in and be up and running again, or use it as the source for another new drive.

Either way, the original drive would serve as my backup - something I would not have if I went with an XL or if I expanded my HD with an external expander.

11. richsadams

Jan 4, 2003
    Your thinking is logical on all counts. IIRC there has been one posted instance of TiVo denying a claim due to an upgrade when the unit was returned with the original hard drive intact (and the details aren't clear as to why that happened). YMMV of course, but historically many, many folks have successfully done what you're contemplating without any problems.

12. lew

lew Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2002
    AFAIK you can't get a MSD if you purchase a refub unit from tivo.
    It costs $250 to purchase a drive designed to be "dropped in" from a forum sponsor. Not every customer has a PC available. A person who loves the Glo remote has to also include $30-$40 for the remote and another $10 for the HDMI cable. A person who is going to buy a "bare drive" will save money doing the work.

The poster didn't return the unit for repair. Tivo determined the poster had upgraded the drive, presumably from the logs, and refused to issue a RMA. My memory is 2 or 3 posters had similar issues.

This is going to be a rare issue. The hard drive is the most common item to fail and customers who uprade their hard drive will generally just replace the drive themselves.

13. mchief

mchief Morey

Sep 10, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    About 2 weeks ago I picked up a TivoHD on Ebay for $169. I figured the HDD may be going bad, but really didn't care. It's been running fine for 2 weeks. I did backup the drive as soon as the cable card was installed. I'm now looking for another 1TB drive hoping the prices will drop soon. At around $70, I'll buy another. That will effectively give me two XLs for under $600

14. mchief

mchief Morey

Sep 10, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    And to add a little humor... I started to backup the TivoHD but could not get Winmfs to find the drive. Scratched my balded head - done this a half-dozen times without a problem. What was I doing wrong? Got the instructions out and - bingo - RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR - you idiot. All was well. Replaced top and hooked up to TV - no signal. Ok, now what. All looks good, what did I do to the drive? Then I noticed a cable lying on the floor out of sight. Cable in hooked up and everything works as advertised. JUST WAS NOT MY DAY and I was sober.

15. richsadams

Jan 4, 2003
    And therein lies the problem. ;)

16. vurbano

vurbano Member

Apr 20, 2004
    not every person has a PC available or a friend or family member with one? Now you are really just stretching. IMO spending 2.5 times what you need too for a HD is absurd. I did it many many years ago but I was ignorant. The MSD is something to factor in though.

17. vurbano

vurbano Member

Apr 20, 2004
    :up::up:

18. BigBearf

BigBearf New Member

Aug 17, 2005
    One additional thought.
    I have a Tivo HD that I upgraded to 1 TB Hard drive and I also have a Tivo XL. I got the XL on Amazon about a year ago for about $500 and at that time the upgraded Tivo HD cost about $400 with an additional glo remote. I really like the glo remotes as far as tactile feel and the ability to control two tivos in the same room. I use a glo to control two HR10-750s in the same room.

The other point is that the XL is upgradable to a 2 TB drive and the HD only to about 1.25 TB should you wish to upgrade in the future. I personally think the XL is a good deal if you can get it for $500 or under but to each his own.
    Hope this helps.
    BigBearf

19. SNJpage1

SNJpage1 Well-Known Member TCF Club

May 25, 2006
    Atlantic...
    What is the difference between opening the case and replacing the internal drive with a 1 TB and just plugging in the WD external 1 TB as far as the way it operates? I know pricewise the external is twice the cost according to the prices at Newegg, $169 compared to $85.

20. Jonathan_S

Jonathan_S Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2001
    Northern...
    In terms of how it operates not much. Well, plugging the the WD 1TB external will give you more space. (Since it's 1TB + your original internal drive). But in either case, once set up the TiVo uses the extra space automatically and transparently to the user. (You just have more recordings in your Now Playing list)

However, some people have concerns in general about the reliability of running 2 drives (doubles your chance of a drive failure taking out your recordings) and concerns about the reliability of the WD MyDVR drives in particular (the original 500 GB drives had a lot of people reporting drive failures)