Exiting Netflix crashes TiVo Roamio Plus

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by mihalco, Jan 16, 2016.

1. mihalco

mihalco New Member

Jul 17, 2008

Advertisements

For about the last week or so, when exiting Netflix, either through it's Menu, or by pressing the Remote "Tivo", "Live Tv", etc buttons, the Roamio screen goes blank for about 20 secs, then it begins a reboot and starts back up. It looked like it was fixed yesterday (ran a number of tests), however it is back this morning. Is anyone else seeing this? What gives - never had this problem until about 2 weeks ago. Not good when it is recording something - there are gaps for 3 minutes or so during the reboot. Roamio software 20.5.6.RC21-USA-8-848

Edit - same as what seems to be happening in last post of this thread -
    http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=535842

Edit - The problem *seems* to be related to how long one watches a Netflix show. Just viewing something for a few minutes, everything works ok. After watching an entire 1-2 hour show, it seems to regularly crash when exiting Netflix.

Edit - The same thing happens on my TiVo Mini too. Watch a Netflix stream for a few minutes, everything is ok. Watch an hour show, and EVERY time when you exit Netflix, it crashes the TiVo Mini (a reboot occurs). So, not a hardware problem as it is repeatable on multiple devices. The problem appears to be directly related to how long one watches a Netflix stream. Mini software 20.5.4a.RC6-01-6-A93

This sure looks like a software bug in the Netflix player.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2016
  2. mihalco

mihalco New Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Has anyone else seen this? It is repeatable on both my Roamio Plus and Tivo Mini's (software versions above).

Could someone please run a test and report back? Just stream something on Netflix for at least 1 hour, then exit Netflix and see if your Tivo reboots.

Thanks!
    Kurt

3. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    I just tested on our Roamio Pro. I let Home play until near the end and then exited Netflix using the menu option and no reboot. Normally I just hit the TiVo button though to exit if we're done watching something and no reboot that way either.

Scott

4. mihalco

mihalco New Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Thanks for checking. Don't know why its happening on my units. FWIW, the shows play properly (no dropouts, etc), and Netflix continues to function fine (I can navigate and play other videos). It's only when I exit (can be via menu, Tivo button, etc) that the reboot occurs. Possibly its content related. Seems to do it every time after my wife watches an episode of "Person of Interest" on Netflix.

5. HerronScott

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA

Advertisements

For what it's worth, I tried an episode of "Person of Interest" and no reboot there either. Not sure why yours would be having issues either. I guess the only main difference here is no Minis but I can't see that making a difference.

Scott

6. mihalco

mihalco New Member

Jul 17, 2008
    I'll try playing "Home" on Netflix here and see if I get the reboot. If it does not, then maybe it is content related. In this case, I'll also find a specific episode of Person of Interest that when played does cause a TiVo reboot after exiting Netflix and report back. I'm suspecting it may be a memory usage/leak issue over time.

Out of curiosity, what is your internet connection speed? Mine is about 17Mbit/s down and 1Mbit/s up.

Thanks again,
    Kurt

7. HerronScott

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    I just chose the last episode in Season 4. My Internet connection is Comcast's standard which is 25Mbps/5Mbps (Performance).

Scott

8. mihalco

mihalco New Member

Jul 17, 2008
    I just played the last episode of "Person of Interest" season 4 (same as you) on one of my Mini's, and again, when exiting Netflix, the Mini rebooted. So, I definitely have different results than you. I'm now playing the same episode on another Mini (I have 2) to see what it does. It is connected to a 720p TV vs. the other Mini which is connect to a 1080i TV. Just curious if it will make a difference. Will report the results.

FWIW, my configuration has a Roamio Plus and 2 Mini's connected over MOCA, with a MOCA bridge to a switch connected to my router. Never had any of these issues until recently. I can't definitively say that they coincide with the latest update, though.

Kurt

9. mihalco

mihalco New Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Same problem happened on my 2nd Mini. Didn't make any difference that it was 720p. Software on this Mini is 20.5.4a.RC6-01-6-A92. This Mini is older (IR remote) whereas my other is newer with the RF remote (the software on it is the same except it ends with -A93 instead of -A92).

In any event, I have 3 TiVo's (1 Roamio Plus and 2 Mini's) that ALL exhibit the same issue, so I think we can rule out a hardware problem.

Kurt

10. hooper

hooper Member

Sep 22, 2007
    Kurt I had this problem. Haven't tested since the new release was pushed Friday or so. Netflix would crash the box like 95% of the time when leaving the app

11. phydeauxman

phydeauxman Member

Jan 17, 2013
    Harpers...
    They came out with a new version? How do I make sure I have the latest version?

12. hooper

hooper Member

Sep 22, 2007
    Well they pushed a new system update or RC a couple weeks ago. Anyway the issue is still there. Watch any netflix show for a bit of time, exit and it will crash the box.