Exclusivity Agreements For The Sale Of Electronic Devices

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by Jim1348, Apr 29, 2020.

1. Jim1348

Jim1348 Active Member

Jan 3, 2015
    I have been considering a Roku Smart Soundbar. I know that Wal-Mart carries a lower priced version, but I would prefer the version carried at Best Buy and Roku.com.

As I looked at the Roku website, it appears that the Roku Smart Soundbar can only be purchased direct from them or Best Buy. How common are these type of agreements in consumer electronics? I am not against Best Buy, but I would like having the choice to buy from other retailers, if possible. Are these agreements typically for a fixed period of time or are they sometimes for the life of the product? And, I also realize that it is possible that there is not an exclusivity agreement in place, but I suspect that there may be since I don't see this offered anywhere else.

2. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    I was very tempted by a Breville indoor pizza oven, the Pizzaiolo. It was only available at Williams-Sonoma and direct from Breville, but I had a whole lot of Amazon gift cards that I could use--but the pizza oven wasn't being sold on Amazon. I contacted Breville about this, and they ultimately told me that it wouldn't be, saying that the number of units they have is just too small.* :( (I since figured out that I could buy some VISA/Mastercards at Amazon with my Amazon gift cards, paying a small commission, and then use those at WS.)

* This was after an initial exclusivity period for WS.

3. tenthplanet

tenthplanet Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2004
    Exclusives are common with blu ray releases at Best Buy. Exclusive agreements are common on consumer electronics, it's called being an authorized dealer and it's insures the products warranty is in place. If everyone would buy on the internet Roku could just sell direct. Best Buy has the most stores for an electronics chain, which allows more people to be able to hear the product and play with it.

4. wizwor

wizwor Active Member

Dec 17, 2013
    Not sure if this is still available, but a couple days ago I used an Amazon/Discover card promotion which got me a 20% discount by using some portion of my Discover cash back ($0.43) to purchase $250 worth of gift cards. I bought Shaws and Staples gift cards, but Best Buy cards are eligible as well. When life gives you lemons, make lemonade...

Amazon: Select Discover Cardholders: Pay w/ Points, Get 20% Off (Max $50 Discount)

5. Worf

Worf Well-Known Member

Sep 15, 2000
    Exclusives are common everywhere. Even Costco has exclusives.

And they're in every product sector. Think of a product, and there are retailer exclusive versions of it. From house brands to retailers wanting a special version of a product for themselves,

Walmart is known for it - often they will contract with a manufacturer to produce a cheaper version of their product - either with fewer accessories, or made with cheaper materials, just so Walmart could offer that product for less.

It's also what makes price matching policies mostly useless - because even two seemingly identical products can be slightly different because one is a retailer exclusive.

ANd yes, sometimes a model is only sold through a certain retailer.

If you want the product, but dislike the retailer, there's always the second hand market. Retailer exclusivity does not extend to resales, but you'll probably have to be willing to pay more for the product That's why you can find almost anything on Amazon, even though Amazon might not have some exclusive product - all it takes is a 3rd party vendor to buy it and resell it on Amazon. eBay is also a common source too.

6. MScottC

MScottC Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2004
    Mattresses, in the old days before all the new online brands became available, were notorious for this. Every chain department store, and every sleep store chain had their own version of the each line of mattresses from the major mattress companies. It made it totally impossible to price match since you could never find the exact same mattress at another store.

7. EWiser

EWiser Active Member

Oct 2, 2008
    It has gone on forever. Every item manufactured has a house version and a brand version. It keeps the plant working.

8. Triride44

Triride44 New Member

Jan 11, 2020
    I had a bad experience with Roku.com customer service. With a Brick & Mortar retailer you can make a return in person. Wal-Mart has a liberal return policy, also no problem with Best Buy. Just my 2c

9. Jim1348

Jim1348 Active Member

Jan 3, 2015
    Someone on another forum tipped me to a Roku Upgrade offer, which brings it from $179.99 down to $159.99, so I might spring for that. Thank you for all of the replies!

Roku Upgrade Offers

Last edited: Apr 30, 2020
  10. mattyro7878

mattyro7878 Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2014
    Southern CT
    Model numbers differ from store to store in spite of being the exact same say, TV. This way Best Buy can say we are selling ABC at $499. Meanwhile B+H nsays we are selling DEF for $489. They both have the lowest price cuz they are different models...but not really.

fcfc2 likes this.