Excited to be coming back to Tivo

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by DouglasPHill, Mar 10, 2020.

1. DouglasPHill

DouglasPHill Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2005
    St Louis, MO
    Had a Tivo for a number of years when they were some how related to DirecTv. Last 6 years have been on Dish and their DVR is adequate; but lets face it, no DVR is a Tivo except Tivo. Decided to cut the Dish cord and just purchased a Tivo for my OTA channels. Am a big Amazon house, have FireTV sticks on all TV and about 5 Alexas, but the reviews of the Fire Recast showed that it has a lot of room to improve; so bringing in a Tivo.

2. keithg1964

keithg1964 Ragonk

Feb 2, 2006
    Texas
    Popcorn Popped and waiting for all the TE4 haters to start basing TE4 to the new person.

(FYI, do not listen to the TE4 haters TE4 is fine)

3. mattyro7878

mattyro7878 Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2014
    Southern CT
    Agreed. For recording shows and watching them in slow motion skipping commercials and of course regular viewing your new Tivo should give you all the joy you remember.

tenthplanet likes this.
  4. Adam C.

Adam C. Active Member

Jul 24, 2017
    Which Tivo did you get for OTA? I'm curious how the Edge is performing on OTA as there doesn't seem to be many users yet. I've been using my Roamio for OTA over the last 3 years and it still works great and it's my primary recording device. I also own a Recast but the interface is too "clunky" in my opinion to be used as a primary watching/recording device. The Recast does excel at streaming live TV so I use it for mobile streaming as well as streaming to some of my lesser used TVs where it has been cost prohibitive to purchase additional Minis.

5. DouglasPHill

Feb 10, 2005
    St Louis, MO
    TIVO BOLT OTA

6. tenthplanet

tenthplanet Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2004
    Second that. :) Welcome back.

7. DouglasPHill

Feb 10, 2005
    St Louis, MO
    Bolt arrived in two days. Set up easy. Before climbing on my roof, I have put an antenna in the attic part of my garage. I get all channels from St. Louis,
    I'm 60 miles SW, but the Fox channel even though it is at the same compass heading as the rest. Go figure. Might have to try some kind of temporary
    roof mount and see if that makes a difference.

Sweet setting up the one passes. Looks like I can use TIVO+ to stream some content, and other apps (Netflix) to stream from them.
    I'm loving it. Is there any crossover between TIVO and the other stream services? For instance, if I tell Tivo I want "Die Hard" will it
    only look for it OTA? or is there some way it can check the streaming services?

ty

8. keithg1964

keithg1964 Ragonk

Feb 2, 2006
    Texas
    I know it will look in both Netflix and Amazon Prime. I do not have others. You can also setup a season pass for streaming shows and delete watched episodes on the watch list.

9. tommiet

tommiet Active Member

Oct 28, 2005
    Welcome back... but with just one TiVo... no other TV's will have access to your DVR. So get out the credit card and spend $179.99 (plus tax) for each TV if you want to watch TV/Recordings on all your TV's. Lots of TV's.. Lots of $$$$ to watch your TiVo.

Think how much $$$ you would have saved with a Recast...... TiVo makes a great DVR... just not a real value IMO.

Oh yeah... The ads in the Guide are free.... Enjoy.

10. DouglasPHill

Feb 10, 2005
    St Louis, MO
    Wow that felt like a thread crap.

ClayKY, unclehonkey, mrsean and 2 others like this.
  11. Adam C.

Adam C. Active Member

Jul 24, 2017
    There have been reports on here that the Bolt OTA tuner is not very good compared to the older Roamio models. I have a Roamio OTA and a Fire Recast. I have found that there are a couple weaker channels in my area that the Roamio can't handle but the Recast has no trouble picking up.

12. mschnebly

mschnebly Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2011
    Mesa
    LOL Yep, even I feel dirty after reading that one!

13. DouglasPHill

Feb 10, 2005
    St Louis, MO
    So was at the local choke and puke this morning and they had the Fox channel on and the announcer says at 10 am today their signal is going to change. At about 10:05 I told Tivo to rescan and there they were. Nice

tenthplanet and kpeters59 like this.
  14. Chuck_IV

Chuck_IV Active Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Connecticut
    TE4 itself is very good, it’s the ads within TE4 that are not :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. vaquero

vaquero Active Member

Jan 14, 2020
    I don't have any ads on my TE4 Roamio. Should I call Tivo and complain?

DouglasPHill likes this.
  16. tenthplanet

tenthplanet Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2004
    Even this forum gets trolls. Ignore them :), the universe will do the rest. :eek::eek::D

17. DouglasPHill

Feb 10, 2005
    St Louis, MO
    So finally got my double insulated coax run most of the way. I temporarily come in the nearest window,
    but will eventually switch the dish coax inside the wall to carry my OTA toward the end of April when Dish
    is done. Granted I'm on month one so I have no idea on how well the Bolt will stand up over time. But based
    on things posted above some observations:
    • Its doing exactly what I want, its DVR'ing the OTA channels.
    • I only watch a single TV, the rest of my household use Firesticks and stream everything, not interested in OTA.
    • I'm paying $7 or so per month for the guide data but that also provides for the hardware maintenance if there is a problem (I think)
    • I will miss ESPN, for college football, and men's and women's college basketball. (and XFL)
    Whats not to love? Ok, don't answer that if your needs are much higher than mine.

18. waterchange

waterchange Member

Jun 29, 2010
    If you're paying monthly for the Bolt's service, even at $7/mo, consider buying the $250 TiVo Bolt OTA with all-in/lifetime service that's on sale now through March 23. $150 for the OTA and $100 for lifetime service. Especially if you're still within your return window (30 days I think) ... you'll save a ton long term going this route.

dishrich likes this.
  19. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    $250 for a Bolt OTA with lifetime is a no-brainer considering the regular price of a Bolt OTA without lifetime is also $250. You'd just be throwing away $7/month otherwise.

But I'd be remiss to mention, since you already have a house full of Fire sticks, that the Amazon Recast is a decent alternative to Tivo. That way you have live OTA, recordings and ALL your streaming apps on one device. Granted, it's not as full featured as Tivo, but it is a lot cheaper to watch in other rooms (no expensive Mini required).

20. tommiet

tommiet Active Member

Oct 28, 2005
    Can we get an AMEN for brother mdavej's response!
    Well said statements.

mschnebly likes this.