Exchanging S3...need new Cablecards?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by booboy97, Jul 17, 2007.

1. booboy97

booboy97 Member

Sep 20, 2000
    Pleasanton,...

Advertisements

TiVo sent me a replacement S3. Can I use the current Cablecards or do I need new ones?

Thanks!

2. A2Tivo

A2Tivo New Member

Sep 10, 2004
    As per your first thread, you can use the same cable-cards but they will need to be paired with the new box. You will most likely need to contact the cable company to send a pairing signal to each card after they are installed.

3. bk406

bk406 New Member

Feb 22, 2007
    Eahc tivo box, and for that matter each slot, has its own unique ID or MAc address. The cable card will have to be paired with the proper mac address. The MAc will change with the new box.

4. TerpBE

TerpBE Go Terps!

Jan 23, 2003
    Philly 'burbs
    I had the same situation a few weeks ago. After moving the cablecards to a new box, I had to call Comcast and have them update the numbers (from the Tivo cablecard info screen) and send out the new signal. It took a while to convince them that they could do this without sending out a technician, but eventually they got it.

5. Ronbo53

Ronbo53 New Member

Dec 27, 2006

Advertisements

Depends on your cable service, I have Verizon FIOS. Apparently for me the cards are not paired to the Tivo. I had moved them out of the Tivo, to troubleshoot an issue, to my TV and they worked fine there also without the need to contact Verizon. Your best bet is to try it and if it doesn't work contact your service provider to pair them to the new S3, they can do it right from the office.

6. blacknoi

blacknoi Active Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Exactly, some providers marry the cablecard to the device, others do not.

My S3 has been working 100% w/my two cablevision cablecards since the tech installed them last october.

I've been too afraid to move them to my tv's cablecard slot "for kicks" to see if Cablevision marrys the card to the device or not...

Figured if its not broken, don't try to fix it.

7. gwsat

gwsat Member

Sep 14, 2006
    Oklahoma City
    My first S3 failed and TiVo sent a replacement. Despite spending much of an evening on the phone with three different Cox OKC techs, they were NOT able to get the cards from the old box to work in the new one. Cox then scheduled a service call. The tech who came to my house brought brand new CableCARDs, which she was able to install and have configured without incident.