Exchanged Roamio for refurbed Bolt

Discussion in 'TiVo Bolt DVR/Streamer' started by treaclentoast, Aug 2, 2020.

1. treaclentoast

treaclentoast New Member

Aug 2, 2020

Advertisements

I got the Bolt and then had to wait another week to get a power supply that would fit.
    I was told I would only get the box and all of the other accessories that I already used for the Roamio would work ok.
    I'm having a problem that has happened twice now which doesn't bode well. When I turn on the TV in the morning after it was turned off the night before, I found that I couldn't get any sound. I pulled the power cord from the back of the Bolt and put it back in after waiting about 20 seconds. This fixed the problem with the speaker sound, it may be just a random thing but I'm looking to see if it happens again. Does this sound familiar to anyone?
    I'm also having trouble learning the new interface which I do not like as well as the Roamio's. It looks cheap and poorly thought out.
    I'm having to use the Back button on my remote a lot to navigate the screen.
    One of things that I can't figure out is how to put a program on the Watchlist while in Amazon Prime. For example my wife is watching a program with episodes and wants to be able to start watching it again where she left off. Right now she is going to the Prime app. and having to scroll through all of the content each time to try to find her program again. I can't seem to find anyway to put it in the Watchlist or another way that would make it easier for her. I would appreciate any help that would alleviate this problem .
    Thanks

2. cwerdna

cwerdna Proud Tivolutionary

Feb 22, 2001
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Nope. Have had a Bolt+ since April 2017.

BTW, since you are new to Bolt and they have terrible cooling, I recommend keeping cooler via fans or laptop cooling pads (with fan(s) in them). See Temperature of Bolt.

I don't currently have a Prime subscription but using a TiVo "set top box" to watch or use any streaming service would be amongst my last choice/last resort. I'd guess one of Amazon's current Fire TV sticks or boxes would give you the best experience w/that service.

3. treaclentoast

treaclentoast New Member

Aug 2, 2020
    Thanks for link about the cooling, I just felt the box and it wasn't too bad. However the coax cable connection was almost too hot to touch. How is the temperature being monitored is there some setting available that gives that information.

4. cwerdna

Feb 22, 2001
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Tivo Customer Support Community

ODT is on-die temperature, likely the temperature of the Broadcom chip under the heat sink. Google makes decent unit converter (e.g. 46 c in f). One of my fans is turned down slightly and I was seeing 46 C (114.8 F) w/my living room at ~76 F.

Skip to 2:51 of the video of Bolt hardware inferiority? to see what's inside a TiVo Bolt. Broadcom chip is under the large black heat sink.

5. treaclentoast

treaclentoast New Member

Aug 2, 2020

Advertisements

Very interesting link, thanks for sharing it. Where do I find the read out for the temperature.

6. cwerdna

Feb 22, 2001
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Tivo Customer Support Community - look for ODT