Exchange broken Tivo box for $49.99 fee

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by naybag, Feb 25, 2008.

1. naybag

naybag Member

Feb 22, 2005
    Washington, DC

Advertisements

My Tivo HD started pixelating after four months. Since I a mpast the 3 month mark, the "best offer" they could make me was for me to ship them my box. After they receive it, they will charge me $49.99 to send me a new box.

I have been a devoted Tivo owner for over four years, and this is the first time I have called support.

I am REAL mad. :mad: Am I wrong to peaved at the $50.00 replacement fee?

P.S. The rep acted like this was the first time he had heard of such an issue, which I find hard to believe considering the 20 page discussion dedicated to just this thing.

2. TIVO_GUY_HERE

TIVO_GUY_HERE I miss the ocean

Jul 10, 2000
    Dallas Texas
    Sounds like a deal. try to replace your stove for 50.00 after the warrenty expires.

3. jebbbz

jebbbz Member

Sep 7, 2007
    35th and...
    It is, however, a disappointingly short warranty (yes, I bought a Tivo HD knowing the terms). There are few moving parts -- the HDD and the fan. Everything else is chips and they ought to be fine if they last the first month so a six or twelve month warranty ought to be achievable for Tivo assuming they put a bit more effort into quality assurance. OK, maybe the power supply is a possible weak point, too, but it is a little worrisome that 90 days is all Tivo will guarantee. (Still, I have had a Series 1 and two S2 Tivos work for years with no problems so with a bit of luck my THD will last as long.)

4. EVizzle

EVizzle ^^MacGvyer^^

Feb 13, 2005
    St. Paul, MN
    the problem comparing a S1 or S2 to a S3 is the variables. Not only are you now dealing with a digital signal, but a third party device (cable card) and varying signal strengths. In some cases, a weaker signal led to less pixelation, which seems odd, but worked for many people.

I would buy a new THD outright, get it hooked up and activated and see if it works fine, if it does, return it and take Tivo up on their offer. If not, you have a cable/cablecard issue.

I bought the extended warranty from buy more on my S2, never had an issue. Bought it on my S3, never had an issue. I just prefer a 4 year period versus a 90 day for electronics.

5. hddude55

hddude55 New Member

Jan 4, 2007
    Phoenix

Advertisements

I'll bet it's not the box. I wouldn't waste 10 cents on a replacement box unless you have exhausted every other possibility involving cable signal and cable card defects.

6. BrennanU

BrennanU New Member

Dec 31, 2006
    Ohio
    Also, you might try talking to a supervisor. I had a similar problem that required returning the box. They told me about the $50 fee and I asked for a supervisor. I kind of went off on them explaining that I loved TiVo and I have recommended it to others, and this was irritating etc. After a little discussion, they waived the fee. Perhaps worth a try.

Edit: Also I was a month or two past the warranty.

Brennan

7. drjlb

drjlb Member

Feb 2, 2004
    You may be better off putting that 50 toward a new, larger hard drive (which will come with a longer warranty). That assumes that it is in fact the hard drive and not a source problem as someone else suggested. If you ship it to TiVo they won't save your recordings anyway. So if you're starting with a fresh disk, maybe it would be better to have one with a longer warranty...

8. naybag

naybag Member

Feb 22, 2005
    Washington, DC
    I appreciate all of the responses. I love seeing the varying attitudes and approaches.

Somehow I would feel better if it were a hard drive failure, and not this real hard to track down pixelation problem from clear out of the blue.

I am going to try a couple of other possible fixes for the box before sending this one back.

9. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    yep. You really do not know what is wrong yet at all. The CSR just threw something out there to eal with the call.

Considering returns probably involve TiVo throwing away the hard rive or power supply most times, 50$ seems pretty reasonable for out of warranty. Of course a year warranty on a new TiVo seems pretty reasonable as well. :)