Ex-Dish Marketing Chief Hops Over To TiVo

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by bayern_fan, Mar 10, 2014.

1. bayern_fan

bayern_fan Member

Aug 11, 2013

Advertisements

"Ira Bahr, the former Dish Network exec who oversaw the product planning and marketing for the satellite TV giant’s “Hopper” whole-home HD-DVR, has been hired as the chief marketing officer of DVR pioneer TiVo..."

http://www.multichannel.com/technology/ex-dish-marketing-chief-hops-over-tivo/148766

2. celtic pride

celtic pride Member

Nov 8, 2005
    I think this could be good for tivo! Hopefully we'll start seeing commercials on tv for the tivo roamio, Just like we saw and continue to see commercials about DISH HOPPER !TIVO really needs to get more people interested in tivo. But they really need to make it more affordable.

3. BigJimOutlaw

BigJimOutlaw Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2004
    In bigger news, Tivo has a marketing department? :):D

4. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    It does now! :cool:

5. Bigg

Bigg Cord Cutter

Oct 30, 2003
    Hartford-...

Advertisements

I find it strange that the people in the Hopper commercials "HOPPA!!!" are clearly from New York, and yet DISH doesn't compete in the NYC DMA and all of CT because they don't carry YES and SNY.

Maybe they figure it's offensive enough that they will offend the people who talk like the ones in the ad, but it doesn't matter because they are from NY and can't get a complete lineup with DISH anyways.

6. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Darn, I wish he were more than just marketing! The Hopper's features (mostly auto-skipping commercials, since I realize PTA is largely dependent upon all of the networks being on one transponder on satellite) are one of the few things that seems GREATLY better than Tivo.

7. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    I thought I heard somewhere that Dish was back-peddling on the auto commercial skip due to backlash from advertisers.
    That could just be in my head, also.

Even if that isn't the case, I don't think TiVo will ever have an auto skip feature for fear of backlash from advertisers.

8. cherry ghost

cherry ghost Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2005
    Chicago
    Maybe you're talking about a different commercial, but in the one I've seen it's Boston accents.

9. tatergator1

tatergator1 Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2008
    Columbus, Ohio
    The Auto-Hop has resulted in numerous lawsuits against DISH from the various networks. In a recent deal with ABC, DISH is allowed to offer ESPN and ABC networks feeds over the internet directly. As part of the deal, DISH agreed to disable auto-hop for ABC networks.

Replay TV tried it years ago and was sued into oblivion. DISH is trying it now and also dealing with lawsuits. I wonder if DISH's intent this whole time was to use auto-hop as bargaining chip for broader network negotiations. It was obviously a valuable concession to convince ABC to let DISH offer access to ESPN and ABC over IP.

Tivo is not going to offer an auto-hop feature until the DISH lawsuits play out. Even then, Tivo is ultimately trying to cozy up to the MSO's, so honestly, an automatic commercial skipping feature on a Tivo is a pipe dream.

10. NorthAlabama

NorthAlabama tabasco rules

Apr 19, 2012
    sweet home, al
    hope this guy wasn't involved with dish's brilliant $320 million move to buy blockbuster...

11. Bigg

Bigg Cord Cutter

Oct 30, 2003
    Hartford-...
    I've seen the one with the two people on the couch. That's definitely New York, not Boston. Probably Lawn Guyland.

12. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    *FOR THREE DAYS*

13. RusRus

RusRus New Member

Apr 8, 2013
    Chula Vista, CA
    I may be wrong but don't we have skip forward with Tivo??? Sure, we have to do it 30 seconds at a time but isn't the result the same????

14. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    The difference is the skip forward in a Tivo is manual, while the Dish Hopper requires no human intervention.
    It's the automatic nature of the feature that is causing the uproar.

15. tarheelblue32

tarheelblue32 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2014
    Raleigh, NC
    I assume Dish has this feature turned on by default, which is probably what the lawsuit is about. But if TiVo were to implement this as an extra opt-in feature that can only be turned on by the end user, I really don't see any legal problem to it.

16. Bierboy

Bierboy Seasoned gas passer

Jun 12, 2004
    Fishers, IN
    Heck, I had a VCR (Video Cassette Recorder for you young whippersnappers) that automatically skipped commercials...didn't always work perfectly, but it was nice when it did.

17. sbiller

sbiller Active Member

May 10, 2002
    Tampa, FL
  18. Bigg

Bigg Cord Cutter

Oct 30, 2003
    Hartford-...
    TiVo does need to market more. But I don't agree with his assessment of seeing TiVo just as a DVR. TiVo is a DVR. A WAY better DVR. Everything else it does is done better by another device and highly commoditized. But as a DVR, TiVo is WAY better than anything else out there.

19. jlin

jlin Member

Nov 20, 1999
    Santa Monica
    I have both Roamino and Dish Hopper.. Hopper is WAY better than Roamino with its auto-hop feature and quick-add-on for ANY external hard drive.

20. jlin

jlin Member

Nov 20, 1999
    Santa Monica
    I have both Roamino and Dish Hopper.. Hopper is WAY better than Roamino with its auto-hop feature and quick-add-on for ANY external hard drive.