Evidence of REBOOT?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by fred2, Aug 19, 2007.

1. fred2

fred2 Member

Jan 20, 2006
    I believe that my S3 may have rebooted. The 30 second skip was gone.

Does the S3 contain any evidence of when a reboot occurred? In Messages, System Account information or any other place?

Thanks in advance

2. MickeS

MickeS Active Member

Dec 26, 2002
    If the 30 second skip is gone, it has rebooted. I have never seen the 30 sec skip disappear without a reboot (unless you toggled it with the code of course).

Don't know about any log that can show you reboot time though, sorry.

3. jfh3

jfh3 Active Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Denver area
    No. Very early on, it was displayed but apparently caused more questions to support than any diagnostic value it provided.

There are a few things you can use - if you have set the 30 second skip and it no longer works, the box probably rebooted.

If you are using cablecards, there are a few values that you can use to get an idea of how long the box has been up in the diagnostics, but nothing like "Last Reboot"

4. HomeUser

HomeUser Active Member

Jan 12, 2003
    A2 Michigan
    If you are on a network with a PC that runs 24/7 you could use a free network monitor like Nagios. Nagios is a little difficult to setup at first however has many features. There are other easier to use network monitors, use the search.

5. windracer

windracer joined the 10k club

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    You could turn on the on-screen clock with the SPS9S code. It will reset after a reboot just like SPS30S and would serve as a "visual" indication of a reboot.

+1 for Nagios. I use it to monitor my network, along with the TiVo boxes. It will tell me when a box rebooted and how long it was down.

6. jmpage2

jmpage2 Active Member

Jan 20, 2004
    While navigating through the menus I remember seeing something that had an uptime counter or "last reboot" or something like that.

7. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Not on the S3.

The only way I've found to tell is--ta dah--when 30-second skip stops working. :D

8. fred2

fred2 Member

Jan 20, 2006
    Thanks for the replies. I may go looking for a network monitor.

Some background:

I have a FAP esata which has apparently worked without problem for at least 3 months.

I was tivo-ing "On the Beach" (new version) and it apparently rebooted.

Then while checking recordings it rebooted in front of me. Then it rebooted two more times. Each time it apparently recovered on its own (no esata messages).

I finally deleted that recordingS (now broken into 3 pieces anyway).

So I don't know if there was some ODD transmission issue? Or I reached a bad spot on either the internal drive or the FAP? Or martians landed??

I watched two recorded shows with no issues after the reboots. Stopped, started, rewind, etc. I should have found something to record while I slept but am recording on both tuners right now and it appears to be working.

Hence "does the tivo archive reboot info" or have, as someone mentioned, an UPTIME clock.

9. dig_duggler

dig_duggler Member

Sep 18, 2002
    Birmingham, AL
    I had some hbo hd recordings which appeared to cause a reboot (toxic channel issue). Was awhile ago but it is not unprecedented.

10. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    I think there is a way. I'm doing this from memory, so I may be off in the actual description . . .

If you check Messages & Settings, then Network (?) Settings, the next time you go to this menu, the prompt will already be on this choice. IOW, it remembers what particular menu path you took, and defaults to that the next time you are in that area.

When it reboots, it clears those remembories, and defaults to the top choice of the menu.

11. shoeboo

shoeboo Member

Nov 27, 2006
    Safety...
    On both my S2 and tivo hd I get the tivo intro clip the first time I hit the tivo button after a reboot, I figure the S3 probably does this as well.

12. jmpage2

jmpage2 Active Member

Jan 20, 2004
    There are some counters in the Tivo HD system/troubleshooting menus including one about "original tuner lock" or something like that which is showing for me about 370,000 seconds which matches up with the last update I did to get the new software.

13. erikg

erikg Member

Aug 20, 2007
    I too am for Nagios although what are you testing for? I don't imagine Tivos have snmp enabled or even a check of port 80? Just using ping? Might have to try that tonight!