Everything is Pink and Purple (Series 2)

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by macmatt, Sep 18, 2011.

1. macmatt

macmatt New Member

Oct 20, 2005
    My dad's Series 2 TiVo has developed a very strong purple or pink hue to everything. It looks terrible. When the cable is hooked up directly to the TV, the picture is fine. When it goes through the TiVo, the problem returns. I tried all different cables several times.

The DVD player looks fine on the TV, too. So, it's something wrong with the TiVo.

Does anyone know what problem this might be, and what it might cost to fix it?

Thanks,

- Matthew

2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Have you tried pulling the plug to the tivo for a bit?

3. bikeryeti

bikeryeti New Member

Sep 18, 2011
    Does it happen with the coax, RCA, and s-video output?

4. RMBittner

RMBittner Member

Aug 19, 2003
    Charlotte,...
    MacMatt:

Never had this issue with a TiVo, but we have experienced it with a DVD player. Turning it off and then turning it back on again has always solved the problem.

Since there's no "off" button on a TiVo, you'll have to unplug it and then plug it in again. After you unplug it, though, wait at least a minute before plugging it in again; that'll give the hard drive a chance to power down as smoothly as possible.

I don't have a clue what causes this, unfortunately.

Bob

5. lillevig

lillevig Cold in East Iowa

Dec 6, 2010
    Marion, Iowa
    Not sure if you mean that the cable is feeding through the TiVo to the TV or if it is the video from the TiVo itself that is the issue. This may or may not help but if it is the cable feeding through the TiVo, then I would suggest using a cable splitter and running one tap to the TiVo and one to the TV. I had to do this with my S2 DT unit because the feedthrough port on the TiVo was causing breakups in the video on digital channels when watching the TV directly. Generally, I've only seen that problem with a weak signal but I have an amplified signal so that should not be the problem unless the TiVo is really doing some excessive attenuation. Everything works fine with the splitter.

6. WhiskeyTango

WhiskeyTango New Member

Sep 20, 2006
    New Jersey
    Is the Tivo plugged into a surge protector? I had a similar problem with an S2 and removing the surge protector fixed it. (It was suggested by the folks at Weaknees).

7. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Well-Known Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    Unless it can't be avoided, I wouldn't plug a TiVo into a surge protector either. It should be plugged into a UPS.:D

8. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    If you're feeding video to the TV with an S-Video cable, suspect it, or the jacks into which it plugs.

S-Video cables have two conductors (and a ground for each). One is the luminence information (how bright the picture is at any given instant) and the other is the chrominence information (what the color is supposed to be at any given instant). If the luminence wire is making a good connection, that in itself will give you a black and white picture, but if the chrominence wire is not making a good connection you'll get inaccurate color or no color.