Everyone requires to reboot your Gateway/modem/router!

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by ThAbtO, May 30, 2018.

1. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area

Advertisements

You need to pull the power to your Gateway/Router & modem on your network.

This is to clear out malware called VPNFilter which seems to be very hard to detect. It can take from 1 to 5 minutes for it to be operational again.

2. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
  3. gigaquad

gigaquad Tivo Image Master

Oct 25, 2004
    That's what they WANT you to think!

[​IMG]

apsarkis, dlfl and JoeKustra like this.
  4. UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA

Advertisements

Had a brief power outage today. A guess that did it for me.

5. tenthplanet

tenthplanet Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2004
    Deadpool demands you reset your router :D

6. davidscarter

davidscarter Active Member

Sep 28, 2015
    dianebrat likes this.
  7. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    The cat looks bored .... silly human servant stuff, tolerated as long as food and water are provided.

8. jlb

jlb Go Pats!

Dec 13, 2001
    Burlington, VT
    I also updated the firmware on my nighthawk r7000. a new one was put out, presumably related to the malware?

9. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
  10. Sheffield Steve

Sheffield Steve Member

Jun 11, 2010
    So what will rebooting do?

From the article referenced above:

"The VPNFilter malware is a multi-stage, modular platform with versatile capabilities to support both intelligence-collection and destructive cyber attack operations.

The stage 1 malware persists through a reboot, which sets it apart from most other malware that targets internet-of-things devices because malware normally does not survive a reboot of the device. The main purpose of stage 1 is to gain a persistent foothold and enable the deployment of the stage 2 malware. Stage 1 utilizes multiple redundant command and control (C2) mechanisms to discover the IP address of the current stage 2 deployment server, making this malware extremely robust and capable of dealing with unpredictable C2 infrastructure changes."

11. NorthAlabama

NorthAlabama tabasco rules

Apr 19, 2012
    sweet home, al
    that's not the way i read the fbi notice, they didn't suggest the reboot as a fix, instead specifically stating it was advised to "temporarily disrupt" and "aid the potential identification of infected devices":

krkaufman likes this.
  12. ManeJon

ManeJon Active Member

Apr 14, 2018
    I read that the reboot doesn't eliminate the threat but slows down its impact - router can get infected again. Should do but not a permanent fix

13. tim_m

tim_m Active Member

Mar 8, 2017
    More then anything the reboot is to help the FBI find out what other router manufacturers are affected. If you listen upgrade security now you should also follow Steve's advice and upgrade the firmware if any is available to rid the router of malware. If there's no update he suggests if you can to reflash the most current available.

photoshopgrl likes this.
  14. tomhorsley

tomhorsley Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2010
    OK, this was a good excuse to upgrade the firmware on my Asus router with the latest asuswrt/merlin version. It is a new major version, so I had to factory reset and it took most of the afternoon to get it reconfigured again, but now I'm finally up to the latest version. Seems to be working, haven't noticed anything that got better or worse.