Eureka "One Small Step" 9/19/11

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by jschuur, Sep 20, 2011.

1. jschuur

jschuur TV-holic, improving

Nov 27, 2002
    London, UK
    Beverly!

Be prepared to see a lot more of the ship in the next season. The amount of work that went into the set, as well as blowing up Cafe Diem made that obvious.

Have I mentioned how I hate cliff hangers?

2. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    Ugh. Stupid SDV... apparently the channel didn't get "switched on" properly when the TiVo went to record it, so it got no signal. And of course, Siffy apparently will rerun everything else in their schedule, but not Eureka.... as soon as the season finale airs once, they yank the show from the air. *mutter*

Off to Usenet, I guess...

3. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    Ok, back now. :)

Is it just me, or is Dave Foley looking more and more every day like the Albino from Princess Bride?

I liked the way Wil played his character this week... he's been playing these one-dimensional "jerk" type characters for a while now (Leverage, Big Bang Theory, The Guild, here...), but the few moments tonight that he showed some genuine emotions were so much better than anything he's done in a LONG time. I still enjoy the Evil Wil Wheaton character for laughs, but I want to see more of this version of Parrish, or other stuff that can show more of Wil's acting than playing a character who is a d*ck.

I loved the sets for the Astraeus ship. I love that whole idyllic space-age design motif. I know, it's so unlike what I've seen of "real" space travel, but it's still very cool looking. I really do hope they can use it more when they come back in the next season.

I know, it would have taken all the emotion out of that last scene, but if Allison would've been smart, she would've belted into the jump seat the second she knew there was something wrong, just in case. She could always un-belt if they avert the launch. I know, I know, not dramatic and all.

I hope we don't have to wait a whole year like we did for this (half) season...

4. jschuur

Nov 27, 2002
    London, UK
    I have a theory (heh) that he doesn't mind playing that type of character, because his writing career is starting to take off enough that he knows he's got multiple legs to stand on.

5. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    And of course, on the show the ship was designed by a bunch of geeks who would be into that sort of thing!

Is it me, or is something terribly wrong with the senator? She did not seem to be behaving properly...

6. Carfan

Carfan Member

Aug 9, 2003
    New Hampshire
    Good call. She seemed far too insistant that the launch occur. I think she is in league with Beverly and it was essential that the launch occur on time to optimize the launch window for a different destination.

7. AlphaDelta

AlphaDelta Member

Jan 9, 2007
    Ann Arbor, MI
    She's clearly in on the conspiracy. She gave off that "don't you dare spoil my wickedly evil plan" aura when one of the reactors lost power.

8. RGM1138

RGM1138 I wanna Rock

Oct 6, 1999
    Gulfport, MS
    Well, with the rest of the crew in stasis pods, breathing a special mixture and surrounded by Weasley Crusher's magic goo, I don't see much hope for Allison, who's only sitting in a jump seat, surviving the transwarp-dimensional jump. Of course, the idiot savant high Sheriff will somehow come up with a plan.

And, yes, they're trying awfully hard to make Senator Camille look guilty.(Maybe she's just stressed because of the long trip back from the edge of the universe).

Nerd sex? Really? :p

9. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Well, that ship has sailed, almost literally. Kinda hard to come up with a plan to protect her from the rigors of FTL or stop the ship from launching when the ship has already launched and is in FTL!

They did give an out, however, by saying that you have a chance of surviving in the jump seat but that the magic goo pods eliminate the risk.

10. RGM1138

RGM1138 I wanna Rock

Oct 6, 1999
    Gulfport, MS
    Oh, yeah, I'm sure they'll manage to pull off some Commando Cody move and save her. :D Unless . . they have some bold plans for the last season, and go for a darker end.

The next question is, where did the ship go? Is it on its way to Titan, or was it sent to another place, where the bad guys who hijacked the countdown can steal it and do nefarious things to the crew?

I suspect that it will play out over several eps next season.

11. Amnesia

Amnesia The Question

Jan 30, 2005
    Boston, MA
    Was it just me, or was there absolutely no mention of Deputy Andy during this episode? Why wasn't he helping with the rod extraction? Or was he too easy a solution for dealing with the ship's apparent hijacking? (He could just jump on the platform to follow wherever the ship was taken)

12. Michael S

Michael S Member

Jan 12, 2004
    Speaking of did he get injured in real life because he was using a cane or did something happen to him in a earlier episode?

Also you have episode titles mixed up this one was called "One Giant Leap" the one before it was "One Small Step".

13. jschuur

Nov 27, 2002
    London, UK
    Not that I'm aware of (from following him on Twitter and Google+

I think the cane was purely their way of disqualifying him from the mission when he fell in the last episode.

Whoops. I'm not sure there's a way to change a thread title via the moderators. Is that something they typically do?

14. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    Wil got injured while fillming the episode "Up In The Air," during the scene when his character was running the tires during a round of calisthenics. (Wil talks about it on his blog.) He was walking around with a cane for quite some time after that episode.

His character was injured during "One Small Step," when if memory serves, Parrish slipped and fell on the melted Jeep.

I'm not sure if the character being injured was written in because of the real-life injury or not.

15. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    My first thought with the Senator is that she's sabotaging the mission (perhaps with Beverley) because the plan is to get rid of Eureka. Something was mentioned about the future of Eureka depended on the mission going off as planned. Perhaps there's a rival town involved (wasn't there an episode where there was a rival to Fargo?)

My son had a good point...why isn't Fargo the mission captain? After all, he RUNS GD.

16. TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    Different talents.

Besides, would you trust Fargo with a bunch of lives a billion miles away from Earth?

17. justen_m

justen_m Cheesehead

Jan 14, 2004
    Boise, ID
    Perhaps he was still being repaired from the effects he suffered being stranded on Titan? That's my excuse, and I'm sticking with it...

18. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    Would you trust Fargo to run a multi-billion dollar, top secret, heavily government involved corporation like GD? In TV land, it all makes sense, in reality, not a chance.

19. TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    He runs it but he doesn't run it. You watch the show? A doctor, a guy who owns a garage and an ex-cop turned security run GD.

As for day to day. No one does. Scientists are doing scary stuff all over the place that no one knows about. At least one shows up every week.

20. tiassa

tiassa Me --Avatar

Jul 2, 2008
    Technically in this time line she's and Ex Navy SEAL turned security expert. I don't think she was ever a deputy in this version of the time line.