Eureka "Liftoff" (7/11/2011, Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by LoadStar, Jul 13, 2011.

1. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    Pretty good episode overall. The whole house/Andy "relationship" is just stupid, IMO, and the sooner they ditch that the better.

I knew it wasn't going to be what it looked like, but still, I really hated the bait-and-switch at the beginning of the episode. Before the reveal, while it was SUPPOSED to hint at Carter/Allison, I had guessed that it might have been Zoe and someone else.

Looks like Carter/Allison's relationship isn't going to be anything resembling "smooth." Hopefully they don't overdo the drama in this whole thing.

2. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    Oh, yeah, followup thought... now that Dr. Grant has exited the picture for the most part, I have sort of become like the characters, and 'settled in' to this being the 'new reality.' I don't know if I'd want them to go back to the way things were before. It's not like there were a huge number of differences from the way things were, and going back would just muddle things quite a bit.

3. robojerk

robojerk Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Laguna Hills CA
    I'm kind of hoping they just let Carter be with Allison, and not focus so much on their relationship. They've been through a lot and I'm not sure I could take anymore angst between the two.
    • Her ex husband popping up
    • Carter traveling from a future, where they were together, to fix something in the present then having his memory zapped out of anger.
    • Carter just being a weenie for a few years.

The show has plenty of other plot options, just let them be but not focus so much on their relationship to keep the flow the same.

4. Bierboy

Bierboy Seasoned gas passer

Jun 12, 2004
    Fishers, IN
    I just plain hate the relationship between Carter and Allison. Other than that, I love the show...

5. Cearbhaill

Cearbhaill Garden obsessed

Aug 1, 2004
    My back yard
    This is one of those shows where IMO romance is simply not needed. We have Henry and his kind of wife which is OK, and the Jo/Zane thing is interesting to me for some reason, but beyond those two just get on with the wacky screw up of the week.
    Speaking of Zane, curiosity is killing me regarding how much of what Fargo told him. Jo knows something changed but I hope it isn't all slam bam okey dokey. They still need to go slow.

I like this new timeline and would not be upset to see it stick around, apart from Carter and Allison. IMO they have zero chemistry and the whole thing feels forced.

6. Hoffer

Hoffer Eat Lightning ----- Poo Thunder TCF Club

Jun 1, 2001
    Twin Cities, MN
    I think the android marrying the house is just dumb. I did get one laugh out of it when Andy said she could be a house wife. Haha, she's a house and she'd be his wife.

7. Fl_Gulfer

Fl_Gulfer Tivo's R Us

May 27, 2005
    Fl.Gulf
    I was wondering if Zane told the Board that Fargo told him about the past trip.

8. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    For me, it's the Jo/Zane thing that I couldn't care less about, and wouldn't mind seen gone.
    Carter/Allison aren't unique to this new timeline. They've been leading up to it since day one. It's part of the reason that Carter and Nathan Stark were always sparring.

9. Cearbhaill

Cearbhaill Garden obsessed

Aug 1, 2004
    My back yard
    You're so literal ;)

10. eddyj

eddyj SeƱor Member TCF Club

Jun 20, 2002
    South Florida
    I scratched the Space Station! Now they will never let me be an Astronaut!

11. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    I like Carter and Allison but I can do without all the lovey-dovey crap from them and everybody else on this show, androids too.

12. SteveInNC

SteveInNC Active Member

Jun 23, 2005
    RTP, NC
    Did they REALLY have to bring Camille (aka Ming Na) into this series - and playing an almost identical part as a bitchy government functionary?

13. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    You've probably got it backwards. I.e., did they have to hire Ming Na to play the bitchy government functionary?

14. Hunter Green

Hunter Green Curmudgeon

Feb 22, 2002
    People's...
    They probably couldn't avoid the "funding is threatened" storyline forever, but I was kind of liking that particular facet of reality being out of the picture or brushed aside. (I always figured the same excuse applied here as in Men In Black.)

15. ehusen

ehusen Geek not Nerd

Jan 7, 2002
    Chicago Suburbs
    Exactly. Yeesh, they just developed a friggin FTL drive! I think that might be worth a few bucks, don't you? Any one of the inventions they parade out each week would fund Eureka for the next 100 years. Heck some of their inventions could erase the national debt. The whole "we are going to cut your funding" is pretty stupid in that context.

16. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    I suppose it could be a "because we can" situation, that ends up making the government stooges look like idiots who cut off their noses to spite their faces.

Not that that would ever happen in government!

17. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    My guess is the new "funding is threatened" plotline is going to be Beverly Barlow and her group at work again. If I recall correctly, we didn't hear the last of them after they attempted to send Dr. Grant back to the past.

18. ehusen

ehusen Geek not Nerd

Jan 7, 2002
    Chicago Suburbs
    Egads, you are right. I had, briefly, forgotten how utterly idiotic our current government is being in real life.

Sigh. Now I am sad...

19. MasterCephus

MasterCephus New Member

Jan 2, 2005
    Hueytown,...
    I thought in the first season, Carter (when he first got there) asked about funding and Allison told him that GD had a few patents that paid for most things...

20. Anubys

Anubys All About Footwork

Jul 16, 2004
    Fairfax...
    I'm not worried about that. Many relationships are like that at the beginning. Hell, even the show addressed it when their friend said something along the lines of "haven't you guys been together long enough for the PDA to stop by now?"