Eureka "Duck, Duck, Goose" 8.05

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by RoundBoy, Aug 8, 2007.

1. Aug 8, 2007 #1 of 63
    RoundBoy

RoundBoy New Member

Feb 10, 2005

Advertisements

No thread? Come on , this was the best one yet!

-Taggert (still with accent :mad: ) 'kills' the goose. Carter freaks.
    -Henry saying NO while nodding about area-51.
    -Carter thinking he got it all wrapped up with the roof guy..
    -Sarah having fun driving, all over the road .
    -"So.... you couldn't afford a whole car ?"
    - "See, I got over 100 without even trying..."

2 thoughts:

How come they didn't mention that Zoe rewiring the imaging machine had a distinct magnetic affect? I thought she just screwed with the power? They did have to specifically find a electromagnet to use...

Zoe: 157 IQ .. hmmm.. so she has been uber:smart the whole time.. I guess they had to figure out some way to make her able to fit into the town of super kids.

2. Aug 8, 2007 #2 of 63
    Bulldog7

Bulldog7 New Member

Oct 6, 2002
    Fremont, CA
    I guess there are things that are even more classified than a completely secret town that exists only to serve the scientists and where the real place of importance---GD--is kept camoflaged behind an EM barrier. Strange, I thought Area 51 was only in Dale Brown novels and called Dreamland....silly me!! :p :p :D :D

3. Aug 8, 2007 #3 of 63
    cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    Wasn't Zoe her class valedictorian in the alternate universe?

4. Aug 8, 2007 #4 of 63
    Agatha Mystery

Agatha Mystery Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2002
    BFE, So....
    There was a magnetic effect, but it might not have had anything to do with Zoe's wiring. It could be, since she upped the power, it made the effect stronger.

I don't buy Zoe having a 157 IQ. I just don't. I also don't buy Carter having 111. He comes up with too many good ideas to fix the situations that he finds himself in (that GD can't seem to do without him). He might not be book smart and know all of the language that the GD people use, but he understands most of the concepts.

I had to laugh at Sarah being in the car. Loved that.

And wasn't it convenient that Zoe got a car?

5. Aug 8, 2007 #5 of 63
    dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish

Advertisements

I loved the fake geese, but I have to say when Taggert snapped the neck, I gasped..

I have come to the conclusion that I love this show and it's quirkiness, and I finally figured out the other show that I loved for the same reason many moons ago (not saying it was as good, but it was as much fun) and that was Misfits of Science they always had a ton of odd experiments going on in the background of scenes.

Diane

6. Aug 8, 2007 #6 of 63
    dswallow

dswallow Save the Moderatоr TCF Club

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    This had to be one of the worst episodes of the series to date for total and complete stupidity of the premise behind all the gobbledygook tech.

High school science fair students could've come up with more plausible gadgetry to accomplish what they tried during this episode. It's sad how poorly the writers are doing so far this season with that stuff. It doesn't necessarily have to be Nobel prize winning tech, but just make it obvious someone's at least trying to make this stuff plausible.

They also lost me when they decided that all kids of "geniuses" are "geniuses" themselves. Total baloney there, too.

7. Aug 8, 2007 #7 of 63
    Church AV Guy

Church AV Guy Active Member

Jan 19, 2005
    high desert...
    Even the technobable wasn't good technobable. The description of the roof of the building where the science fair was in being held, was painfully bad. The "Heathers," never mind the homage to the movie, were just hideous. The only good points were mentioned by the OP: Taggert killing the goose, the area 51 comment, and the car. I guess the OP left out, or just didn't think that Carter in the gym was funny, but I did.

Oh, and since when is a deflection of over thirty degrees a "nudge" for an object on reentry (or just entry)? And wasn't it lucky that the car had the exact connector all wired up to interface with the rest of the equipment?

8. Aug 8, 2007 #8 of 63
    dswallow

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    Well that one's easy to accept. It's like SCART for video in Europe. A standardized connector for everywhere. :)

9. Aug 8, 2007 #9 of 63
    PJO1966

PJO1966 Hi. What is this?

Mar 5, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    I loved Carter's gym clothes. They were probably new the last time he saw the inside of a gym. RELAX!

10. Church AV Guy

Jan 19, 2005
    high desert...
    Sure, the connector, BUT it was wired up for a process the car was never designed for.

11. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    It's the e-connector, everything in Eureka has to be equipped with them!
    Or everything in Eureka has eureka-fi....

ok, I'm totally making it up, but why not figure everything in Eureka is built to their own standards for interoperability?

12. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    You'd think in a town filled with genius inventors who spend their time cobbling together new, unheard-of technology from whatever's at hand, it would be a necessity...

13. TokyoShoe

TokyoShoe Frustrated TiVoHD'er

Jul 27, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    Actually I completely buy Zoe having a 157 IQ. Let's not forget, back in the "real world" at the start of the series.. her father was chasing her down for identity theft and credit card fraud. She always struck me as a smart cookie to be able to pull off stunts like that as often as she apparently had.

Anything else in the show (the connector to the car computer, the building roof devices, etc.) I'll all let slide. After all , it's a Science FICTION show... not Science NON-Fiction. :p

14. Church AV Guy

Jan 19, 2005
    high desert...
    Many people have used that argument before, but I distinctly remember in Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom, no one complained about the unbelievability of the priest reaching into the man's chest and taking out his still beating heart without the guy dying, and having said heart, still in the priest's hand, burst into flames when the guy was tossed into the lava. BUT, when the ore car flew off the tracks and back fell back onto them again, people all over the theater groaned and I heard comments like, "give me a break," and "unbelievable," from around me. Some things are accepted by certain audience members, while others just aren't.

15. TokyoShoe

Jul 27, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    Pfft, as long as it remotely entertains me, I refuse to nitpick details. I think it's just silly.
    Now that being said, my favorite genre of movies ARE actually Godzilla movies. So take any opinions I give with a dumptruck of salt. :D

16. Church AV Guy

Jan 19, 2005
    high desert...
    Hey, you like what you like and that's fine with me. I'm not trying to convince you that you're wrong I'm glad that connectors don't bother you, but I work in electronics and electrical connectors are constantly the bane of my occupation. And I *DO* mean stuff that has to work together and should have mating connectors, all need adaptors. Maybe it's just a personal issue.

17. TokyoShoe

Jul 27, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    Just for the record, I work for technical support at a major oil company here in the U.S. . I've got to deal with connectors, cables, software and protocol differences... whole nine yards.

I still don't get why folks get upset about stuff like this. It's like expecting the movie "Hackers" to be technically accurate... it's just not going to happen, heh. :D

18. dswallow

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    It's not a matter of it being technically accurate in the real world. It's a matter of them presenting their universe consistently. If wambuckles always fly in clockwise spirals in their universe, then if they ever show wambuckles flying any other way there should be at minimum some sort of nod about why they're now flying differently.

That's all. Create the world they want and then be consistent within it and if you ever have to diverge from some universal truth you've established, be prepared to have that explained at some point, in some way, even if it's not blatantly presented to the audience but just in some manner a background event.

It's really not that hard to do. Unless you're a really lazy writer or part of a writing team that simply doesn't care.

Granted, there may be times they'll find they wrote themselves into a corner in a prior episode and need to contradict themselves later... Star Trek did that a lot, for instance, though at least it was for good reason and thereafter the consistency generally remained, albeit now changed. But even that is better than just randomly deciding how things behave in the universe episode to episode.

19. TokyoShoe

Jul 27, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    On a slight diversion back to the original subject of the thread, I too found it hysterical when the question concerning Area 51 was answered verbally with a "No" but visually with a nod. I got a big laugh out of that! :D

20. purple6816

purple6816 New Member

May 27, 2003
    NorthWest
    This episode rocked. We just love this show. I want to know when he will remember what was erased from his memory.