Ethernet Switch with Roamio Base

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by ukwildcat4life, Jun 30, 2014.

1. ukwildcat4life

ukwildcat4life Member

Apr 13, 2014
    I'm fairly new to Tivo and still learning some things. I have a question. I currently have a Roamio Base and a Mini connected via MoCA... I used two MoCA adaptors: one at my modem/router to create my MoCA network and another is connected to my Roamio Base to bridge the connection. The adaptors I use ( Actiontech ECB2500C) only have one ethernet out port....my problem is at the location of my Roamio Base I need an extra ethernet connection for my Apple TV.....my question is can I buy and use an Ethernet Switch (hub) and connect the ethernet cable from my actiontech adaptor to the switch then use the ethernet switch's ports to go to my Roamio Base and Apple TV or will that setup not be compatible? I know I could buy the actiontech ECB3500T which has four ethernet ports but thats more expensive than buying a switch.....any input is appreciated..thanks!

2. jtso

jtso Member

Oct 2, 2009
    Radford, VA
    I have the same Actiontec adapters as you, and they are quite versatile in how you can use them in combination with ethernet switches. I don't have an Apple TV, but I'm quite confident it will work in your set up.

At the cable entrance to the house, where the cable modem and wifi router are located, I have an Actiontec adapter to set up the MoCa network just like you.

In the den, the coax from the wall is connected to a second Actiontec adapter whose ethernet output goes to a switch. One output goes to a TiVo (an HD in this case), another output goes to a computer, and attached to the computer are some hard drives that I use to store TiVo programs from any of the TiVos I have on the network.

In the living room, I have a Roamio Pro. The coax from the wall goes into the Roamio (it gets its internet from the already established MoCa network). In this configuration, the Roamio acts like a MoCa adapter itself, so I have the Roamio's ethernet port attached to an ethernet switch which is then attached to: a TV, another TiVo (a Premiere 2-tuner model), a Blu-Ray player, and an Apple Airport Express (extends the WiFi network and does Airplay to the stereo).

It all works really well.

3. A J Ricaud

A J Ricaud Active Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Hacienda...
    I have 3 of the same Actiontechs which are feeding 8 port switches. One of them is feeding an Apple TV. Everything works fine.

4. ukwildcat4life

ukwildcat4life Member

Apr 13, 2014
    Thanks for the reply and answering my question! I'm going to buy an ethernet swtich this evening and will report back once I get it up and running!

5. ukwildcat4life

ukwildcat4life Member

Apr 13, 2014

Thanks for the reply and letting me know that your Apple TV works with that setup....I'm going to buy an ethernet switch this evening and will report back the results once I'm up and running...:up:

6. ukwildcat4life

ukwildcat4life Member

Apr 13, 2014
    Just wanted to thank you guys again! I bought a cisco 5 port gigabit ethernet switch and its working just fine with my devices!

7. szvers

szvers Member

May 20, 2005
    Does it matter which kind of Ethernet switch I use with the actiontec Moca adapters, fast v. Gigabit? Thank you

8. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Which Actiontec MoCA adapters are you using, specifically? I ask because the different adapter models have different Ethernet interface specs.

For example... the ECB2500C (MoCA 1.1/170+Mbps) has a Fast Ethernet (100Mbps) interface, limiting its throughput to the Fast Ethernet speed. Upgrading to a Gigabit switch solely to support an ECB2500C wouldn't make sense. However, both of Actiontec's MoCA 2.0 adapters sport Gigabit Ethernet ports, as do their MoCA 1.1 WCB3000N and hard-to-find ECB3500T, and so would benefit from attachment to Gigabit-capable switch ports.

On the TiVo front, only the 6-tuner Roamios and the BOLT currently have Gigabit Ethernet ports. (Minis, 4-tuner Roamios, Premieres are all Fast Ethernet.)

9. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
  10. szvers

szvers Member

May 20, 2005
    Thank you for asking me to check. I do have the Actiontech ECB2500C, so I'll go with the fast Ethernet switch.
    Thanks again