Ethernet connection problem

Discussion in 'TiVo Mini' started by GADAD, Mar 28, 2021.

1. GADAD

GADAD New Member

Aug 5, 2018

Advertisements

My setup is a bolt in bridge mode and several mini's. I am also using GoCoax ethernet adapters. Where one of the mini's is placed, I have several other devices that need connectivity. So I have the "main" coax attached to the Bolt creating the MOCA network. Where the mini is place, I have the GoCoax with the ethernet port connected to a switch. I then connect the mini to an ethernet port on the switch. (Hope that makes sense)
    My problem is the mini displays startup on the TV then just goes black with no way to wake it up. When I take the mini to my main setup and plug into a port on the switch I have no issue - it works as advertised.
    I know the GoCoax is working as I see flashing lights on the GoCoax and the switch and other devices plugged into the switch are also working.
    What am I doing wrong?

2. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    It's not an Ethernet connection problem, it's a display problem.

Have you tried connecting the Mini to a different HDMI port on the TV? A different HDMI cable? Or pressing the resolution button on the bottom of the Mini to cycle through available resolutions?

Also, you may want to check the forum for others reporting the same issue. What software/UI version are you running, 20.*/TE3 or 21.*/TE4?

3. GADAD

GADAD New Member

Aug 5, 2018
    Thanks for the reply. I did try all that. However, on a whim Itried ANOTHER HDMI cable (the third one ;-( ) That worked. Now I'm receiving an error that my gigabit network is too slow

4. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    I'd (re)start by trying a full power reset -- distinct from rebooting or just cycling power on each individual device -- powering everything off for a bit before bringing them back online in order:

5. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003

Advertisements

And if the full power reset doesn't work, more detail on your coax plant would be helpful in diagnosing any MoCA issues.

6. Apr 3, 2021 #6 of 10
    GADAD

GADAD New Member

Aug 5, 2018
    Again Thanks for the response. Finally had time to try this. After following all the steps it still did not work Ended up placing a splitter in the remote closet. Using one output to the TIVO box and running the other into the GoCoax adapter. Without the splitter TIVO kept saying the network is too slow connect an Ethernet cable

7. Apr 3, 2021 #7 of 10
    krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    FYI... FWIW, the BOLT is just standard MoCA 2.0, so a BOLT/goCoax link would be at standard MoCA 2.0’s 400 Mbps. If you need/want more throughput (for non-TiVo purposes), you could supplant the BOLT bridging with another goCoax adapter.

8. Apr 3, 2021 #8 of 10
    krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Prior to the change, what was the brand and model # of the switch that was being used to link the Mini to the goCoax adapter? (Want to compare against brands/models with a reputation for TiVo network hiccups, associated with “green” switches, IGMP snooping, ...)

9. Apr 3, 2021 #9 of 10
    GADAD

GADAD New Member

Aug 5, 2018
    Sorry I missed the follow up post :-( I have two coax cables coming into the house. One for TV and one for data. That's the way it was when i moved in The data connection is attached to the modem and that is passed to a router then a switch. The TV connection is going to the Bolt which is establishing the MOCA network which is then attached to the main switch.

10. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    I’m assuming “house” above means a particular room, as you obviously have other coax outlets in the house, where you have goCoax adapters or Mini’s installed.

p.s. I’m still curious about the brand and model # of your switches. (Though not critical if everything is working and you’re happy.)