Ethernet and MoCA possible?

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by Bobby Mac, Sep 20, 2020.

1. Bobby Mac

Bobby Mac New Member

Sep 10, 2019

Advertisements

Hello. I have a mini in my garage that is 300 feet away. I tried connecting it with a cat 7 cable. (I get a constant 100MBPS out there), but it only works for a few seconds and then freezes.

I also have RG11 cable running out there. Every other mini at my house is hooked up via Ethernet. Would it be feasible (and would it work) to run the one in the garage off MoCA?
    (Roamio Pro)
    If so what do I need?
    Thanks in advance

2. snerd

snerd Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2008
    It would be pushing it with RG6, but with RG11 I believe it is possible, especially if the Roamio Pro and the Mini are the only MoCA devices in play. A diagram of your coax setup would be helpful, showing all splitters and coax runs.

3. HDRyder9

HDRyder9 Member

Aug 2, 2007
    You're within spec [328'] if you're only 300' away. Can you put a switch anywhere in 300' run?

4. Bobby Mac

Bobby Mac New Member

Sep 10, 2019
    HDRyder. Not in between. I have a repeater router at the end of the run. I was told 300 was the spec as well but I go from 400MBS down to about 105 in the barn.

Attached Files:

5. snerd

snerd Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2008

Advertisements

If I understand your drawing, your catv feed is from the lower-left corner, I assume it says POLE but is cut off, then to a 3-way splitter that feeds to an ARRIS modem, the RG11 coax, and the tuning adapter with output from the TA feeding into the Roamio.

The TA will block MoCA signals in that configuration, but this can be remedied easily using a diplexer. Unhook the Roamio and disconnect the RG11 from the splitter. Connect from that port of the splitter to the UHF/VHF port of the diplexer, connection from the coax port of the Roamio to the IN/OUT port of the diplexer, and connect from the SAT port of the diplexer to the RG11. In the barn, the RG11 will feed to the coax port of the Mini.

With this connection, MoCA signals will only pass from the Roamio through the diplexer to the RG11 and on to the Mini, so only the Roamio and Mini will be on the MoCA network. The Roamio will need to be configured as a MoCA bridge, and the Mini will need to be set up for MoCA.

If you're satisfied with ~100Mbps in the barn for the ethernet feed, then that is all you need. If you need more ethernet bandwidth in the barn, you could use a couple of MoCA 2.0 (or 2.5) adapters and completely eliminate the cat 7.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2020
  6. Bobby Mac

Bobby Mac New Member

Sep 10, 2019
    Sneed,
    Thank you for the reply. Yes you are correct that is supposed to say “pole”

if I do it the first way, my other two minis will still work on Ethernet, correct?

Also I am very interested in getting 400 out in the barn do I just need to get adapters or when you say “a couple” do I have to run a whole extra line out there? If you don’t mind explaining that, I am very interested. Thank you.

7. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    How could the diplexer (w UHF/VHF port frequency range of 40-806 MHz) affect the reception at the Roamio Pro, including TA communication?

8. kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    TiVoLongMoCA2.jpeg TiVoLongMoCA1.jpeg 9-Port MoCA HomeConnect.jpg Put this in instead of the Splitter and I'd bet it'd work great.

-KP

9. snerd

snerd Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2008
    You can freely mix Minis on MoCA or ethernet.

The Roamio and Minis use MoCA 1.1 which is limited to about 170Mbps. To get higher speed you would need to use MoCA 2.0 (400Mbps or 800Mbps, depending on adapters) or MoCA 2.5 (2.5Gbps), and both ends of the link need to support a higher speed in order to improve the bandwidth. The Motorola MM1000 supports MoCA 2.0 Bonded (800Mbps) and has been used by several TCF members, and some have had success with the goCoax adapter which supports MoCA 2.5. WIth only two adapters, the goCoax won't actually reach 2.5Gb throughput, because the adapters are limited by the Gbit ethernet ports. However, the goCoax are newer technology and a little less expensive, so there is no particular reason to prefer the MM1000.

You only need the existing RG11 with a MoCA adapter on each end, and you'd revert the Roamio and Mini to using ethernet connections.

krkaufman likes this.
  10. Bobby Mac

Bobby Mac New Member

Sep 10, 2019
  11. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    The Roamio Pro is MoCA 1.1 and so could only support up to ~150 Mbps with a MoCA 1.1 or better MoCA adapter out in the barn. If you’re looking for 400+Mbps, you’ll want to switch to using a pair of standard MoCA 2.0 or better adapters, with one in the barn and the other replacing the MoCA/Ethernet bridging functionality of the Roamio Pro.

See >here< for some MoCA adapter options, grouped by spec/throughput.

snerd likes this.
  12. Bobby Mac

Bobby Mac New Member

Sep 10, 2019
    Okay. When Snerd said get 400 in the barn, I thought he meant run MOCA from the first splitter to the Asus AP out in the barn and then run the mini off that. I guess that doesn’t make sense though. I used to have 60GBS in the house and all of my MINIs worked flawlessly. Now I have 400 in the house with a drop off at the end of the barn run to 100 (better than 60) but the mini doesn’t work.

13. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    They’re not having any TV tuning issues, so this amp wouldn’t offer anything more to their MoCA configuration than the built-in “PoE” MoCA filter.

(Also, the suggested amp diagram assumes availability of a 2nd coax run from the amp (née splitter) location to the DVR/TA location. I have some catch-up remaining, but I’m unclear as to whether this is available.)

Last edited: Sep 21, 2020
  14. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Yes, that is exactly what @snerd meant.

The upgraded MoCA adapter would provide the wired network connection for the barn, with the AP’s built-in switch expanding the number of available Ethernet ports. The barn Mini and a few other devices, if needed, could be wired via the AP.

Also, with a separate (upgraded) standalone MoCA adapter acting as the main MoCA/Ethernet bridge, rather than the Roamio Pro, the Roamio Pro’s MoCA function would be disabled and it would be configured strictly with an Ethernet connection.

15. Bobby Mac

Bobby Mac New Member

Sep 10, 2019
    if that works.. that would improve my speed out there and get my TIVO mini to work that’s win-win. I like that choice.

If I go that route I need to split the incoming cable line from the pole with a higher MHZ diplex than the current 1000MHZ splitter I have, before going to the new Moca Adapter, correct?

Attached Files:

16. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    How are you measuring the 100 Mbps speed? (Using what device, and wired to what?)

Also, before abandoning your existing setup in favor of a MoCA connection for the barn, you may want to review the specific models being used to establish your wired Ethernet network. Reason being... if you are only seeing the barn TiVo Mini lose connectivity (drop its video stream) out in the barn, the disruption may relate to some known incompatibilities with either “green” switches or IGMP Snooping/Proxying settings in switch/router gear. (May NOT be the case but worth reviewing.)

17. Bobby Mac

Bobby Mac New Member

Sep 10, 2019
    that was a bit over my head. I Measured via WiFi on the phone standing next to the router I’m the house and in the barn. I have the AP in the barn connected directly to the main router. How would I go about texting the things you suggested?

18. Bobby Mac

Bobby Mac New Member

Sep 10, 2019
    Autocorrect got me twice. “In” the house and “testing” not texting

19. Bobby Mac

Bobby Mac New Member

Sep 10, 2019
    Disregard. So the green switch should not be an issue since it’s directly connected to the router, right? And I need to go into which router to check on the second part.. my main or the AP?

20. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Do you have a laptop or PC that could be hard-wired to the main router, and then AP, to perform the test, to eliminate the possibility that the 100 Mbps limit you’re seeing in the barn is just a slower Wi-Fi connection, rather than an Ethernet issue?